Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well pretty soon i'm goin to be gettin my windows tinted and i cant make up my mind. I dont know whether or not should get my windshield tinted. My cousin has his done 35% and says that there are visibility problems at night. I really dont want any visibility problems with my windshield. Also i cant make up my mind whether I want 5% or 15%. What do u guys think?

· Registered
6,498 Posts
You won't notice 35% during the daytime either.
Five percent is insanely dark and will give you visibility problems; 15% also is pretty dark and may give you visibility problems. I have 20% tint all around, and it is pretty dark and does make it tough to see at night.

· Registered
4,894 Posts
FYI, drsmith4 - TN legal tint is 35% all around.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
AZ tint's 35% on front windows, and I sometimes have trouble seeing clearly out of those at night, so I definitely wouldn't recommend it for a windshield.

· Registered
6,498 Posts
Oops, I didn't read your post correctly -- I didn't know you were considering tinting your windshield. This is illegal and very unsafe.

· ex-06'er
1,116 Posts
Don't tint your windshield. Illegal and unsafe, as mentioned above, and pretty much guaranteed to get you ticketed if not impounded if caught - at least with illegally tinted driver/passenger windows there's a chance you might slide.

· Registered
478 Posts
I wouldn't tint the windshield. But I would go with 15% all around.

· Registered
7,758 Posts
In most states, you can do a strip of tint across the top of your windshield. I kind of wish I would have gotten that done when my tinting was done a few weeks ago. I might see about getting it done sometime soon, since most of the cars I've been seeing lately that have tinting have that... Shouldn't cost too much, since it's just a small strip. I think Sarah told me it was going to be like $30 extra.

· Registered
4,894 Posts
http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

^^ Tint laws, state by state. The most allowable on there i've seen is 70% Tint on the windshields, and that's only in 2 states. The rest are usually up to the AS1 mark, which is only a few inches.

· Registered
6,498 Posts
That listing is out of date. There's a more current one somewhere that I posted in one of these other threads, but I don't have time to look for it right now.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah i know about the law. Just getting 35% isnt even worth it. I think i'm leaning toward not tinting the windshield and getting 15% all around. That sounds like the way to go for me. Thanks for all of your input.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
I say 5%... You can see ANYTHING from the outside, and I might add, it's really nice from the inside. It's dark, but you can definitely see through it VERY well. Though, I'm pretty sure it's illegal in most states. But it definitely keeps the car cooler when it's in the Florida sun.

· Registered
6,498 Posts
Five percent is illegal everywhere, and as far as being able to see through it -- I don't know if you're Superman or what, but I can't see through 15% or 20% at night without good lighting outside the car.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
^^^ no doubt. i have become the king of side view mirrors. 5% is a bitch to back up at night with.

· Registered
396 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Dec 28 2005, 01:04 PM
^^^ no doubt. i have become the king of side view mirrors. 5% is a bitch to back up at night with.
I hear that. I always get out and do a curb check. I may look like I can't parallel but better safe than sorry...

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
so, using the "if a = b and b = c then a must = c" rule...

5% leads to renting a dodge magnum for a week while your tC is in the body shop.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.