Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to make this topic so that i could learn a little more about tint jobs. I want to get a good enough tint all around so that no one can see much in but i want to be able to drive at night too. a few of my friends say limo tint because than cops and the neighborhood watch wont be able to see in. but i also dont want to drive my beauty into a ditch trying to look cool...i also live in virginia, sterling area if anyone knows of a place. thanks in advance
DAN

·
Registered
40 Posts
You do know that va law has it so you can have tint of 35% in the back and 55% for the front sides. I'm thinking of getting 35% all around or the legal 55% and 35%, but I really want to see the 55% and make sure its worth the money.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Like AsianStyle said, limo tint may get you an expensive ticket. Unfortunately, 35% is barely noticeable, so I can only imagine what 55% would look like. Mine was done at 20% (legal in GA for the time being), and it's probably too dark -- I have a hard time seeing through the side windows at night.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
like i always say ( or will start to say it more often) when it comes to tint the darker the better. All you need to do is adjust how you do things. Just like anything else. it takes some getting used to.
just sayin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How light is 35% because Ive heard many stories of ticket problems in VA because of tint, so I been thinking of 35% all around and roll down windows if I see a cop. I know a friend with 25% and that seemed very dark, looked nice but I know visibility at night must suck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The window tints are fix its too, so unles you know a cop who will sign off, you have to have it taken off. Seems like a waste.
In cali, the side pass and driver have to allow 70 % light but there is no limit on the backs or rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will shops do a 30% all around for me in virginia if they know that it is illegal? i dont really want a ticket but i would rather not waste money on some light ass tint job that nobody will notice anyway. god i hate virginia....you cant have anything on your car!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I've got mine tinted 35% all around except for the hatch which is at 20%. Here are a few pics... you can judge for yourself how dark you think it is. Just remember... I took these pics on a bright and sunny day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
They'll tint whatever you want. Other than me in 1987, I don't know of anybody in SoCal that has got a ticket for tint.
It's just a matter of whether you want to take the chance on being the first. How's your luck. I willl get the legal limit on mine.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
imasf, how do you like that 20% at night? I'm getting my windows tinted pretty soon, and I can't decide how dark to go in the back.

I'd like to be able to see ok at night.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Haha... i'm fine with the 20% in the hatch although Loopy said it creates a starburst effect on the headlights. I didn't know what she was talking about until I paid close attention... the tint will disperse the light in a starburst effect and it is noticeable especially when it crosses the defroster lines.

I like the tint on the hatch cause in my old car... I was sitting very low and everyone's headlights would like blind me. The tint on the tC has helped that a lot... I don't notice that at all which is nice. As far as visibility... it does impair visibility some. I only see the headlights of cars or the car outline. But then again... i don't look back that often. The only time I think it could bother me is if I'm backing up from a parking spot in the dark. I have no problems seeing when its bright outside.

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...5&st=15&hl=tint

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty@Sep 5 2004, 10:16 PM
like i always say ( or will start to say it more often) when it comes to tint the darker the better. All you need to do is adjust how you do things. Just like anything else. it takes some getting used to.
just sayin.
Sorry, but I disagree. I just can't see through 15% tint at night, and there's no question of adjusting to it -- it's just plain too dark, at least for me. Even 20% is marginal.

Oh, and people do get tickets for illegal tint, at least around here -- before the Georgia Supreme Court struck down our tint law a few months ago (it had been capped at 32%), I knew at least half a dozen people who got tickets for tint, including a friend of mine who's about 40 and drove an older Lincoln at the time. It seems to me that the State Patrol and the more rural police forces and sheriffs were more likely to give people trouble than the cops in the city...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Does 15 % mean the amount of light let in? or blocked out?

·
Registered
40 Posts
15% means light in so lower the number = darker the tint

·
Registered
999 Posts
Originally posted by capt_tast@Sep 6 2004, 07:31 AM
The window tints are fix its too, so unles you know a cop who will sign off, you have to have it taken off. Seems like a waste.
In cali, the side pass and driver have to allow 70 % light but there is no limit on the backs or rear.
I thought you couldn't tint your windows in California.

There are tons of luxury/sporty cars with dark tints yet the cops don't do jack squat. I might go for 25+ when I get mines.

Are you really going for 70%? That doesn't seem worth getting a tint if it's going to be so light. I would go for those bluish tints that I usually see on some BMW's if you want a darker tint yet it appears pretty light.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Virginia law is 50% on the front side windows, and 35 on the rear windows and 35 on the back window.

Northern Virginia cops WILL give you a ticket if you tint it lower than the law states. Fairfax county cops are dicks and will give you a ticket for anything they can think of.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am merely quoting the vehicle code.

26708(if anybody cares)...no tint on sides, If back is tinted, vehicle must have 2 mirrors. The side driver and passenger cannot be tinted, BUT if the tint allows 70%, it is legal(as measured by a light meter).(this is probably about the factory tinting or glazing anyway).
I plan on getting pretty dark on the sides and back, but not too extreme, I still need ot see and would kill my wife, when she backed into my gate. :0

Installers will pretty much do whatever, I mean...they don't have to deal with the tickets.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im from fairfax and thats what I heard from many people about the cops, but I have a friend who lives in springfield with no tickets with a 20% tint all around. I want to go 25 - 35 but leaning towards 25 or 30% but don't want ticket trouble. How can the cops tell its illegal? like 35 to 30 can't be that big of a difference can it? Obviously anyone can see the difference between limo and a 50% but closer towards 25-35 can you really see a big enough difference for a cop to say you have illegal tint?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does anyone know, what the limit is in Fl?
I've had my tC for a year and i haven't done anything to it
i like to do things myself
so i was thinking about buying the tint of the internet and installing it myself
ITs A TOUGH JOB
but i think i can do it better than someone who doesn't appreciate the car
Any comments?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts