Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sigh. I just did a little digging on the NYS DMV website, and confirmed what I feared to be true. In NYS, the front driver/passenger side windows have to allow 70% of light through the glass. That's insane that I can only block 30% of light. But so long as you have working side view mirrors, the little driver/passenger side windows (and the windows you would have if you had a sedan) can be whatever you want them to be, along with the rear window. The only ones that matter are the ones you're not allowed to tint. This really sucks. I wouldn't care if I had a lighter color car, but I have black. And that's what I wanted to tint my glass to match. I don't even know if tinting my car is worth it now.

Does anyone have a BSP tC with tint that only blocks 30%? I've allready searched, but only found pics with much higher tint percentages. Anyone?

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
no ones going to mess around with you for your tind. i have limo tint in the back, and 30 int he front. i havent been bothered, but if you drive like a crazy person, like my cousin in his avalon, cops will have a reason to pull you over, and gve u a hard time about ur tints.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Originally posted by nY1018@Jan 22 2006, 02:42 PM
no ones going to mess around with you for your tind. i have limo tint in the back, and 30 int he front. i havent been bothered, but if you drive like a crazy person, like my cousin in his avalon, cops will have a reason to pull you over, and gve u a hard time about ur tints.
^^ what he said.

i have a flint mica, and i made the mistake of getting 35% tints all around because the guy who was doing it said "trust me, it'll look much darker once it's on cause you have a dark colored car"

bullshit, you can barely tell the tints are there at daytime. i think im gonna get them redone, probably 15% or 20% all around. I wouldnt recommend the limo tints because i hear that its hard to see at nighttime. but definitely DO NOT go with 35%, you will be disappointed

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not telling you to get it tinted, but unless you really break the law the cops aren't going to mess wit ya, besides it worth taking the chance. I've had all my cars tinted over the last 15 years at 20% and got 1 tint ticket which was added to a speeding ticket all because I was a punk, wise ass 17 year old, and the cop was trying to teach me a lesson, Now I'm a 30 year old punk, wise ass

·
Registered
498 Posts
Question....

Any vehicle with an after market tinted window must have a tint compliance sticker affixed to it by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Stickers may be affixed to vehicle windows which, when tested, have an allowable light transmittance of no less than 35 percent plus or minus three percent.

So this means I can tin the windows 65%???

It also states:

Rear Window: If the vehicle is equipped with left and right-hand side rear view mirrors, the tinting standard does not apply to the rear most window (back window).

So this means I can go completely black in the Rear Right?

Rob...

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
The tint laws vary by state. Google it.

·
ex-06'er
1,124 Posts
Originally posted by serith@Jan 24 2006, 07:58 AM
You guys are saying that most states allow tint in the 30% range, right? You mean you can block 30% of the light, right?
No, the number is the percentage of light that goes through.

30% tint blocks 70% of the light
20% tint blocks 80% of the light
5% tint makes HIDS look like flashlights

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Originally posted by fiream@Jan 23 2006, 09:59 PM
Question....

Any vehicle with an after market tinted window must have a tint compliance sticker affixed to it by the Department of Motor Vehicles. Stickers may be affixed to vehicle windows which, when tested, have an allowable light transmittance of no less than 35 percent plus or minus three percent.

So this means I can tin the windows 65%???

It also states:

Rear Window: If the vehicle is equipped with left and right-hand side rear view mirrors, the tinting standard does not apply to the rear most window (back window).

So this means I can go completely black in the Rear Right?
yes, if you get pulled over and your tints are not correct, you'll get a fine and an order to remove it.

with the back window, go all out, darker than night. just dont mess up your rear views or side mirrors

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.