Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my FM 5 SP tC this afternoon. I absolutely love it.

I was checking out the Maintenance Schedule while waiting to sign the papers and could not find any mention of a timing belt / chain repalcement interval.

I asked the Salesman and he swore it was scheduled at 60K. I checked the maintenance book again and found nothing.

Anybody know for sure?

(And I searched for this topic several times and found nothing.)

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
There is no scheduled maintenance on the cam chain.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
From here.

The dual overhead camshafts are driven by a single-stage roller chain of 8.0-mm (0.3-in) pitch, enabling a narrow included valve angle of 27.5°. The camshafts act on four valves per cylinder via bucket tappets. As in the recent Toyota engine practice, no clearance adjusting shim is employed. Valve diameters are 34.0 mm (1.3 in) for intake and 29.5 mm (1.2 in) for exhaust, with 8.0-mm (0.3-in) lift for both intake and exhaust. The four-vane VVT-i device is fitted on the intake camshaft, altering timing by 50°. Fuel is injected sequentially via an ultra-fine-atomization injector with twelve small injection holes, each 0.18 mm (0.01 in) in diameter. As in the smaller NZ engine, the new AZ adopts a plastic, built-up, and vibration-welded intake manifold integrating a large volume plenum chamber (3.5-L (214 in3) volume including a 1.3-L (79 in3) resonator). Twin three-way catalytic converters, each with a 0.84-L (51 in3) volume, are mounted immediately downstream of the stainless tubular exhaust manifold. The front exhaust pipe, collecting from the catalysts, has a separator in the pipe that reduces exhaust gas interference and improves low- and mid-speed torque.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jul 31 2005, 10:27 AM
They use a chain, thank god.....i despise belts. Lance have you got into the motor, or read up to know if it is a single, double roller or what?
BTW, belts have been proven to be better especially in high performance applications. They are able to dampen the crankshaft acceleration enough to provide smoother cam timing events without all the speed up/slow down torsional events the crank suffers.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Chains and gears don't make as much power on the dyno because cam timing scatters with torsional vibration. If you drive your ignition off the cam, like most distributors, you get igntion timing scatter as well.

· Registered
1 Posts
I once saw a FULL spec sheet of the Scion Tc, one that a Scion Tc engineer or designer would be impressed. I'm unable to find it again. Does any one know where I can find this information? Again, it contained FULL specs, top to bottom. Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.