Scion tC Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I got the tC on July 2, I've always wanted to race cars that I previously was thinking about before my tC. First, I made a "Hit List" of the cars I really want to race because the tC and a car I wanted are so closely comparable. First I had a few "Guinea Pig" races b4 I really made some mistakes with shifting. So I raced a 1997 Mustang v6, 2004 Honda Civic EX, and a 1999 Cavalier. There all stock but I wanted to work on shifting. And as we all know it... I killed them all. But anyway, after that my bro said I should race a tiburon. So we cruise for a while and find a tiburon to race. We raced the best 2 out of 3. The first race I beat him by like 10 car lengths because he missed 2nd. I believe him because the second race was just a little bit closer. The second race was good for him because he didn't complain and he thought I was running something. Well, it went like this... Off the line I beat him by half a car length then shifted to 2nd and I was gone.... 3rd came and i was still drifting away... then 4th .... I think I won by 4 car lengths. I'm glad I won b/c i've been waiting for a race like that for a long time. B4 we raced he said he had beat a tC b4... and i thought to myself... "tC's are rare.... where did u find one to race?" but i didn't ask and so b4 i raced him i was nervous.. but in the end, releived. I also raced a 2004 Mitsu Lancer ralliart with exhaust. Our record is me 5 wins and him 1 win. I don't know what happened with my loss but I think I held it in 1st for to long. My next cars on my hit list are a 2004 Civic Si and a 2001 Honda Prelude.

·
Registered
130 Posts
hrm was it a v6 or 2003+?

cus i helped a friend add trd springs to his tc, sway bar and strut bars and then we raced later that night.

and im sorry but i left him behind by quite a bit by the end of 3rd gear. = 90mph. .. i drive a gt v6 5spd manual 03 tiburon. Maybe you just raced a poor driver or are a really good one yourself.

in most cases since the cars are very similar, it will be a drivers race. but lets say you put a driver of equal skill in each car the tib will walk away.

so before you make general comments about all tibs race many with varied driver skills. I never judged the TC till i raced em over and over again and worked on em myself.

if you have questions just ask.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by FrostbytetC@Aug 24 2004, 08:29 PM
If it was the 2001 4 banger i'm not surprised. even if it was the V6... i'm still not surprised. Hyundais are poorly built cars. Good kills man!
www.scionlife.com go there and read the complaitns on the tc.

ive read everyone one of them and the tibs didnt have NEAR that many issues in the first 2 months of release.

go figure!

yes the 2002 and older cars were crap but 2003 hyundai spun it around. my 2003 tib with 56k miles has given me 0 problems. Its seen its little change oil at the dealer and new clutch install but thats mostly it.

also don't be ashamed that a hyundai beat you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yea dude nice kill, but i believe you raced a i4 with a ####ty driver, ......my boy has a scion and ..the car is sweet but he doesnt stand a chance with me off the line and on the highway...i only have minor bolt ons but , he will need nitrous or F/i to keep up , the tc is a nice bmw looking ride man , but dont be surprised if a stock gt tib 6peed owns you for your pockets never the less a modded one,....but heh , you never know these says, there so much that could go wrong lol

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by TazeredRazor@Aug 24 2004, 08:28 PM

cus i helped a friend add trd springs to his tc, sway bar and strut bars and then we raced later that night.

and im sorry but i left him behind by quite a bit by the end of 3rd gear. = 90mph. .. i drive a gt v6 5spd manual 03 tiburon.
Dai, please mention that it was my 6th day with a 5-speed (as in never driven before I bought a tC), and I grinded the third pretty bad. Other than that it was a pretty close race

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz+Aug 25 2004, 05:12 AM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Aug 25 2004, 05:12 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TazeredRazor
@Aug 24 2004, 08:28 PM

and im sorry but i left him behind by quite a bit by the end of 3rd gear. = 90mph. .. i drive a gt v6 5spd manual 03 tiburon.
Dai, please mention that it was my 6th day with a 5-speed (as in never driven before I bought a tC), and I grinded the third pretty bad. Other than that it was a pretty close race
[/b]
hah andrew lets race again too sometime. btw i found another tc living like 2 mins from me.. heh raced it like 10 times.

btw andrew. : ) u also jumped the gun. u said u don't race lol and u freak on me at the light. catching up then passing isn't at easy as it used to be vs a honda.

P.S andrew bring a vid camera.. i can't find the charger for mine. : (

·
Registered
130 Posts
oh yeah andrew do you go around the norcross area ever? was a tc i swore was yours? I didnt really see the driver too well, but i thougt it looked like u caught up to me and we raced.. norcross area I-85 going north right past jimmy carter?? ever race a red tib out there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
2001 and older Tibs are I4's and run 16.1's stock
2003+ I4's run 16.4's stock (heavier than previous gens)
2003+ GT V6's run 15.5's stock

With that laid out, I think we can guess who you raced. Either way, good kill but please change the title because I know you did not race a new V6. So please don't assume that Tibs are overated on account of your race.

yes the 2002 and older cars were crap but 2003 hyundai spun it around. [/b]
Where the hell did you get your information? The 10y warranty came out because of the reliability of the older gens, the beta motor specifically which is still being put in the I4 Tibs. And if you want plain facts about reliability issues, the new Tib has had countless recalls while the older gens only had one which was the seatbelt tangling up which "became annoying to the consumer". They were affraid people wouldn't want to wear it. Boy, what a recall.

New Tib recalls and TSB's include sunroof elec. sticking, rear motor mounts, speed sensor, entire clutch system, alignment issues, driverside airbag, etc. (there's more)

But since you know so much about Hyundais history, I bet you already knew that there was never a 2002 model Tib and that you probably just made a typographical error.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by SharkRacer@Aug 25 2004, 05:50 AM
2001 and older Tibs are I4's and run 16.1's stock
2003+ I4's run 16.4's stock (heavier than previous gens)
2003+ GT V6's run 15.5's stock

With that laid out, I think we can guess who you raced. Either way, good kill but please change the title because I know you did not race a new V6. So please don't assume that Tibs are overated on account of your race.

yes the 2002 and older cars were crap but 2003 hyundai spun it around. 
Where the hell did you get your information? The 10y warranty came out because of the reliability of the older gens, the beta motor specifically which is still being put in the I4 Tibs. And if you want plain facts about reliability issues, the new Tib has had countless recalls while the older gens only had one which was the seatbelt tangling up which "became annoying to the consumer". They were affraid people wouldn't want to wear it. Boy, what a recall.

New Tib recalls and TSB's include sunroof elec. sticking, rear motor mounts, speed sensor, entire clutch system, alignment issues, driverside airbag, etc. (there's more)

But since you know so much about Hyundais history, I bet you already knew that there was never a 2002 model Tib and that you just made a typographical error. [/b][/quote]
hello shark racer. allow me to kick your ass on newtiburon.com read the ****ing post dude. i said 2002 and previous HYUNDAI's. refering to all models. The tibs were o.k. the engine was reliable. But they were fugly.

Half those "recalls" you list aren't recall's. : ) where did you learn your facts from? There was never a recall on rear motor mounts, never a recall on allignments and there was never a recall on drivers side airbags.

Sure the warranty came out before, but hyundai's werent really any good before 2003. The only thing that held up in them was the motor.

This is of course a generalization. The santa fe in its 2nd year proved to be a good vehicle. The tibs as stated never seemed to have motor problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"Fugly" = opinion, not fact, and not a valid argument to claim previous Tibs were "crap".
New Tib recalls and TSB's include sunroof elec. sticking, rear motor mounts, speed sensor, entire clutch system, alignment issues, driverside airbag, etc. (there's more)[/b]
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

In the GENERAL automotive world, that means that those problems FREQUENTLY occur, are not just random, and will be fixed without question under warranty if they are found. They are known and relayed to every service mechanic. They are problems that should be labeled as recalls but why make it official and smeer the good name.

So in summary:
allow me to kick your ass on newtiburon.com read the ****ing post dude[/b]
I read the post, but looks as though you didn't read mine. But good try at a flame, I'm sure these people appreciate it on their boards.

Sorry Scionians, this guy doesn't represent us and you're welcome to our boards anyday.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i read your post, but you didnt read mine. Their always welcome to the boards that has nothing to do with it. And yeah shark racer doesnt represent us either if were gonna play that game.

Sharkracer, you came after me. Not the other way around. P.S i think every tiburon owner knows there is no 2002. you try going to a dealer saying theres a tsb i want it fixed. they will laugh at u.

In the end getting back to on topic, unless you raced a automatic, or a 4 cyl, or a bad driver, it should have been the other way round on the race vs the tib.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Originally posted by TazeredRazor@Aug 25 2004, 07:19 AM
you try going to a dealer saying theres a tsb i want it fixed. they will laugh at u.
Already have. A friend and I walked straight into the service shop and told them we wanted the TSB for the ECU reflash done on an 03. It was to correct a severe power dip in the mid range on early 03's (another one that I left out). He asked for the TSB # and said sure, no prob, and we were out of there in 1 hour. This was after his rear motor mount fell off causing his TB to slam into the firewall.

Thank you, drive thru...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by SharkRacer+Aug 25 2004, 08:16 AM-->QUOTE (SharkRacer @ Aug 25 2004, 08:16 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TazeredRazor
@Aug 25 2004, 07:19 AM
you try going to a dealer saying theres a tsb i want it fixed. they will laugh at u.
Already have. A friend and I walked straight into the service shop and told them we wanted the TSB for the ECU reflash done on an 03. It was to correct a severe power dip in the mid range on early 03's (another one that I left out). He asked for the TSB # and said sure, no prob, and we were out of there in 1 hour. This was after his rear motor mount fell off causing his TB to slam into the firewall.

Thank you, drive thru...
[/b]
Hrm dang.. u must have a good dealership. atlanta dealers goes something like this.

Hi..

IM here for that cold start reflash on the ecu..

THEM: Leave the keys we'll call you.
ME: But i have the tsb and everything right here, heres my cars production date ... *CUT OFF*
THEM: SIR we will have to look at it ourselves. so you may leave your car here and pick it up later today
ME: O.k... bye.. *drive off*

another one

ME: Hi, my clutch is acting weird.
THEM: Hrm what does it do:
ME: Explains
THEM: sorry we cannot recreate it so come back when the problem is there
ME: But if it occurs i cannot drive the car.. and you havnt tried to recreate it
THEM: Sir, you'll have to find a way to bring it in while the problem is occuring

BAHHAJFLKJDSLFJLSJDLFJLJKSDF

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
sound like you guys are both speaking from personal experiences and making it as if it's occuring all over the place. To each his own, and I'm sure that one of you got lucky on the dealer, the other didn't, so wtf are you fighting over? Stop the bickering and .....sniff each other a litte......then .......kiss.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Aug 25 2004, 08:50 AM
sound like you guys are both speaking from personal experiences and making it as if it's occuring all over the place. To each his own, and I'm sure that one of you got lucky on the dealer, the other didn't, so wtf are you fighting over? Stop the bickering and .....sniff each other a litte......then .......kiss.

im guessing once we kiss you want the pictures right :p

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
lol. I'm just messin around. I think recently, Hyunday has stepped it up with their cars in terms of quality and reliability, and they do make decent cars. Personally, I really like the way the new Tiburon looks, love that dual exhaust, and the overall shape of the car is very smooth. My girlfriend's whole family drives Huinday - two Sonatas, a '99 and a '04, one elantra was totalled in a crash, and they're very satisfied. I also agree with you that a stock v6 tiburon would own the stock tc, but wait will the supercharger come out for the tC, then it'll be interesting to see. But yeah, it's totally dependant on the driver.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.