Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and found the relevant information about drive by wire. It was a pretty old post (the only one that came up on the searches), and I was wondering if there has been any fix to improve the response, as this is pretty annoying with the manual tranny. Thanks!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I haven't complained about it to the dealer, and I've not heard of anyone who has, so AFAIK, no fix is even being contemplated.

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's really bad too, I learned manual on my 96 eclipse with a throttle wire and sport clutch, awsome response, if this is the performance you see from the new wireless throttle's, I don't know why they call it a technological advance. You seriously have to retard your clutch slip almost a second behind your throttle blip. *shrugs. It's worse with the AC. on. I can't believe how much power running the AC takes from the engine. Didn't effect any other car I've driven as much as this tC.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i agree. mine has just of 17k miles and i have yet approched the dealer about it yet. it is really bad and i am concerned it could lead to premature clutch wear.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I took mine to the dealer after having it for about a week. The tech told me I needed to adjust my driving habits and seemed annoyed that I thought anything was wrong. I also called Scion and mentioned it to them, but they say they aren't aware of a problem. Seems Toyota isn't interested in remedying the problem.
Come on aftermarket! Give me a fix!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That surprises me about Toyota ( that they don't care ). I guess it's like anything else, you have to live with the good and the bad untill the aftermarket fixes the bad...But then the good is usually wearing out by then...

·
Registered
272 Posts
the whole "drive-by-wire" technology is completely unnecessary if you ask me. Lets take a tried and true cable...very simple but very effective and replace it with a pedal angle sensor, some extra circuitry and a stepper motor. the only benefit to this as far as im concerned is one less hole in the firewall (which was about the size of a quarter...big gain there) and easier and cleaner addition of cruise control. whereas the negatives are expense of the system itself on a new car. obvious problems with drivability, and maintenance (i know ive replaced a hell of a lot more idle air control valves and throttle postion sensors than i have throttle cables).

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
OK, but you're ignoring the fact you can use a bigger throttlebody without the negative effects of opening the throttle too fast. There are good reasons for drive by wire throttlebodies.

·
Registered
272 Posts
OK, but you're ignoring the fact you can use a bigger throttlebody without the negative effects of opening the throttle too fast. There are good reasons for drive by wire throttlebodies.[/b]
this is a good point...while ive never encountered this problem myself i can see what ur saying.

·
Registered
542 Posts
is the problem only noticeable when running high rpms? just wondering, i haven't notice anything on my car

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the car is at idle, and you step down on the gas pedal, there is a hesitation before it responds.

My tC is a manual, don't know if that changes anything. But alot of people have noticed it. If you don't notice it, then maybe that is hope?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Well, if it were cable operated it would die. Have you ever ridden a motorcycle with smoothbores or flatslide carbs? If you open the throttle wide open at low rpm the engine dies. They're doing the same thing here. Using a bigger throttlebody for more peak flow with a controlled opening to prevent velocity from dropping off and stalling the engine.

Oh, a lightweight flywheel will also completely negate this problem.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not if you learn to keep your foot in the gas. Geez, you guys need to figure out what you want. Quick throttle response or lazy feet? Which is it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't mean go full throttle from idle...

Any change in throttle position gets the same delay. I'm not a world class driver by any means, but to me the delay is pretty annoying. I'll choose quick throttle response over lazy feat any day!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You'd love a lightweight flywheel. Follow the links to Titan Motorsports and get a Fidanza flywheel. You'll be VERY happy.

FWIW, I replaced my Mueller flywheel in my Supra with the OEM 40 lb boat anchor and I really miss the quick spin up I used to have. It's most noticeable at low rpm, and especially off idle. If I ever decide I want better acceleration from my car, I'll get the flywheel first. It doesn't compromise warranty, and a Dynojet dyno (or any other inertial dyno) will see it as a hp increase, even though it really isn't.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll have to remember that. I assume it would only be really beneficial once the tC gets more power, right?

Another question on throttle response...if you go one of those mod chips, would that have anything to do with getting rid of the drive-by-wire delay? I'm not up on all of that, is why I have to ask...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No, it's beneficial with no power adders at all. Lighter is ALWAYS better.

Mod chips? Anyone claiming they have a "chip" for the tC is a liar. There are no replaceable chips in the tC ECM. Screwing around with the engine management with simple devices is a sure way to make everything worse.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am not a world class driver either. But i do have some driving experience. I have been driving manual transmission cars since my first one 13 years ago. it is all i have ever owned. Carbureted to fuel injected vehicles, from trucks to cars to motorcycles and this throttle by wire is killing me. i can usually get in any car and by about the first 2 stop and goes i can shift gears with no problem. my car just turned 18k and i have had it since june 30th 04, happy b-day to my car soon, and i still have problems with it. maybe mine is more server than others i dont know. all i know is i have to do a lot more work on the clutch pedal than i think is necessary. no the few times i decide to really drive it hard i dont notice it at all. its just those slow take offs and just regular shifts that are a beatch. maybe i need to go to the dealer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.