Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about, throttle body, if you do this to our cars will it shorten the long term life of the engine.... And what exactly does this do, does it just let more air into the engine?, And lastly is this something that i would want to do myself or get installed...?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Throttle Body

By the way, i forgot to add the link..... so their it is.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
from what I did on my honda its easy to do takes about 15-30 minutes depending on how careful you want to be, I noticed a slight gain in performance on my honda and no I didn't get any feedback from my mechanics telling me it was a bad idea. Just for the 3 or 4 horsepower you get its not worth the $450 IMO.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If you really want to get something out of this mod you need to do a lot of other mods to improve breathing. There is no downside AFA wear or reliability, but there is a downside on velocity at smaller openings. Throttlebodies are normally sized to match maximum flow while keeping velocity high enough to provide good cylinder filling at low rpm and low flow. Some of the sizing problems can be overcome with software mods, but a simple swap will not let the ECM know your velocity is different and Ve has changed (assuming the throttlebody is the primary restriction in the system).

This is the kind of mod that would support a relatively large turbo or supercharger. There's not much to be gained without FI.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Isnt the throttle body of the 2.4 camry engines a 60mm? You could probably find one in a junk yard cheaper.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Street price for a new Camry throttlebody from Champion Toyota is $555.67, retail is $740.90. Junkyard will typically be half of retail, or about $370. Some cheaper, but not a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
282 Posts
bigger throttle body only sees signifigant gains under FI. This is assuming that the throttle body is the most restricted portion of the intake.

Makes sense. Learn somethin new everyday with lo bux around don't we?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.