Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just ordered exhaust and i am looking for my next mod. i saw that the only pully(i think its called unothadox?) available for the TC is suppose to give you like 10hp which seems high. does anyone have one, will it mess up my engine, or wear it down faster. i just don't want to buy one then find out it messes up the engine i just voided the warranty by buying one.

i'm just a newbie so if you'd give me some breathing room it would be appreciated, some people tend to be overly harsh. thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
if you're talking about crank pullies, the historical answer is no, don't do it. lance on these forums has posted some good information regarding why, but in a nutshell- supras have been known to have a negative response to replacing the crank pulley with a lightened pulley because the stock one acts as a harmonic balancer/damper too; lightening it will tamper with this influence and result in bad jujus.

and i expect it would void the warranty on your engine

·
Registered
281 Posts
yea, if you put a lightened one on, it will mess up the balance of the motor. if you want to free up some hp (not GAIN but free up) take off the p.s. pump. get a shorter belt. yea it will be harder to turn, but you feel the raod better IMHO. i didnt have p.s. in my integra type-r and it didnt bother me one bit. plus i got huge guns paralel(sp) parking lol

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No it won't mess up the balance of the engine. It has nothing to do with balance since it is zero balanced at the factory. It is not possible to correct an imbalance with a damper anyway, since the damper and the part out of balance are not in the same plane. It's a physics thing. Using a damper to attempt to provide balance only sets up a rocking couple which has its own problems.

Read the link inevitablegod provided. It says everything there is to say about the foolishness of removing a harmonic damper from guys with far better engine building resumes than mine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.