Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the topic states, I'm curious to see how satisfied you are with your car on a daily basis and how it's paint job has held up since you've gotten it. Have you noticed a lot of scratches yet, or any? Is it a bitch to keep clean. Obviously, I'm aware that darker colors naturally are more prone to such things, but I was curious to hear about your personal experience.

I've pretty much narrowed down my color choices to Flint Mica and Super White. I just got back from the dealership and took a look at the Flint Mica. WOW...drool...
Car just got washed and looked absolutely amazing. Classy and everything.

I would get that color in a second but the dealer pretty much scared me off from that by saying it's going to show every little scratch. I live in the desert. Lot's of dust. Right now my car is Electron Blue Pearl and it is a bitch to keep clean but when it is clean it looks amazing. That's why I'm thinking of going with Super White. Seems pretty boring compared to Flint Mica but also looks pretty classy nad clean. Haven't seen one up close and personal yet so can't say for sure. I figured this will still look good and be much easier less likely to show scratches.

Any insight you can offer up would be awesome. Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Can't speak for white, but Flint Mica seems to show water spots pretty easily. It's worth it after it's washed though. It kinda sparkles.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Originally posted by Azrael@Feb 9 2005, 09:07 PM
Can't speak for white, but Flint Mica seems to show water spots pretty easily.  It's worth it after it's washed though.  It kinda sparkles.
^^^agreed. i love the flint mica. its wonderful. the only scrathes i have are the ones my watch made on the drivers door.
not even a door ding yet and i have had mine since june 30th.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First off, I have a Super White so I feel qualified to say this..

Without a doubt go with the Flint.. If I could do it over again, I would have.

Super White is IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean, the paint chips EVERY time you take it out on the highway, and it shows everything. . The Primer under the paint is black, so every blemish is going to stick out like a neon sign..

Do not get a Super White unless you can keep it garaged and put some type of bra or paint protection on it..

Not to mention the fact that it looks plain, and vanilla and generic.. and cheap as well.. completely forgettable..

I wish I could sell mine, I regret getting it daily.

In your case, I think it's a matter of the dealer not being able to move the whites as well as the Flints are moving and your dealer is trying to push an inferior paint off on you..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I REALLY like my flint mica. However, here's my experience with it. Scratches show very easily on this color, especially when it's clean. Moreover, dirt really shows on it, so unless you're gonna be washing it every weekend, it won't look as shiny as it is when you see it at the dealership.
I'd still get a Flint Mica if I were to repeat this, and have absolutely no regrets.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i swear by my california duster. its what gets me through the 7-10 days between washes.
and i always thought white would be a bitch to keep clean, firedragon. people said i was crazy. thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Super white and yes . . . it's hard to keep clean. I live in WA so, surprise, we get lots of rain which means it's really hard to keep the white clean and not looking like ish. Like Firedragon said, when it chips you see the chip like no other. But I love my white car. I can get lazy and dry the windows and leave the rest of the car dry on it's own without seeing nasty water spots all over. This is my second white car and I had a black one as well. The amount of time it took to get the black car looking good was insane. My BF has the same problem with his graphite metallic dakota.

evette

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
See Pharohz, you're from Tucson so you know how bad the dust can be around here, I'm up in Tempe. I guess I have to face it that either color is going to get dirty. I'm just surprised that White is SO hard to keep clean. I was also told that the car has a whitish/gray primer not black. But I've never seen it so I don't know. Arg! I was starting to lean towards white until FireDragon's post. This could drive me crazy for a couple weeks. Thanks for all the imput so far. Keep it up!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have to say that I love the Flint Mica. The color is truly unique. And who cares if its the most popular color for Scion TCs. I don't even see TCs around that often anyways.

It does show its dirt quite well though, especially after I've driven through the snow-covered/salted streets. But I can't imagine the white (or any other color) hiding it any better. If that's a concern, I definitely would not go with black.

If I had to do it again, I would still pick FM.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I strongly disagree with the statement that the FM really shows dirt and scratches. I have found the exact opposite to be true.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm considering selling it, because I think I'll never be satisfied with it and it'll only serve to annoy me.. and I only have 835 miles on it..

Maybe someone else would be happer with the White than I am..

They couldn't be any more unhappy with it than I am..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dust shows up like crazy on my flint mica. I washed it the other day and as I was cleaning the interior, the hood already started looking dirty/dusty again -__-.
Other than that, I'd have to say that the metallic paint sparkles real nicely after a good wash. It also blends in amazingly with the primer. If I didn't scrutinze my car the way I do, I would never have found the chip on my front bumper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well, call me biased, but I'm gonna take a stand for the White...

When purchasing my tC, I would have no other color other than white. I refused to settle... so I waited over 3 weeks for my bright white car to come over from Japan.

IMHO, white just looks best on the tC... I will say FM was my second choice though! Thus far I have not found the white to be that difficult to take care of. It doesn't show salt, or dust/fine scrathes as badly as a dark color does. And a quick wash (either hand or touchless car wash) takes care of dirt quite nicely, and she looks bright and new again. I do not regret one bit getting/waiting for the White. I'm sooo happy that I did! Plus I find the white to be classy, sporty, and a bit more unique than the FM.

One other thing about the white that just reinforced my decision to get it was... it is one of the brightest whites I have ever seen on a car. Sooo gorgeous. When the car is clean and in the sun... put on your sunglasses!

Truthfully, everyone is going to praise their personal color of choice.
What's important is that you get whatever floats your boat the best!
Good luck...

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by tC 302@Feb 10 2005, 08:40 AM
Truthfully, everyone is going to praise their personal color of choice.
What's important is that you get whatever floats your boat the best!
EXACTLY.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have white and im very happy with the color... However my problem is that, i've had it since October, and after washing it, i was hand drying around the grill and the door jams, and the radius' of the wheel wells, and there's little orange pits of rust popping up all over! Almost all of which can be scratched off with your fingernail but none the less a scary thing to look at. So if you're goin to get a Tc definately spend the extra $129 i think it is, to get the clear coat applied.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have white, tends to chip on the front a lot, the under coat is not black its silver, the bumpers are of course black under the paint because thats what they do, Flint mica was my first choice and I could have got what ever I wanted, but I went with hide a dent white for that reason. Whites harder to keep clean in the winter and Black is harder to keep clean in the summer, either way its a trade off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
. However my problem is that, i've had it since October, and after washing it, i was hand drying around the grill and the door jams, and the radius' of the wheel wells, and there's little orange pits of rust popping up all over![/b]
Rust? Already on a 4 month old car? This is bad, and the first I've heard of it. Have you taken it back to Toyota to have them look at it?

It doesn't suprise me that it would be another White either, that must look hideious against the white background.

Seems like every day I hear something more negative about the tC and the Super White color in paticular. I fear that the resale value on the SW will be less than the others.. so it might be time to get out of mine before supply catches up with demand.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.