Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And the new 2006 IS 350 is SERIOUS. Most of you probably already knew that, but I was just browsing the Lexus website. The older models were nice looking (albeit a bit girly IMO) but the new one left me

I WANT THIS CAR REALLY BAD.

I see a Lexus in my very distant future.

OK, enough rambling, carry on.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
16 and could have got an IS 350? Vacation home in Palm Springs? Don't like to pump your own gas? Why did you get a tC?

Maybe another Taek?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You're not talking about an IS 350. It's brand new this year, only been in delivery status since October. You mean an IS 300. Totally different car. WAY cheaper.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I disagree. I think that Acura is still winning the design war, at least in terms of pure appearance.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I don't buy cars for appearance. I buy cars for performance and reliability. Toyota wins, hands down with the IS 350. Acura doesn't even drive the right wheels. I did a feature comparison, the IS still wins.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's a nice little ride... I'm not sure how I feel about these new paddle-shift automatics, though. The first vehicle I recall seeing this on was a Ferrari, and that's all good and well. It seems fine for exotics and Formula One cars, but I'm kinda skeptical when it comes to something closer to home. I guess I'd have to drive a car that has it before I could pass judgement... maybe someone who has can enlighten me.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It's paddle shifting, but it's not an SMG. It's a slushbox with paddle actuation. I haven't driven one yet, but my friend, a Lexus service manager, says the actuation is direct and incredibly responsive.

The Ferrari system uses a regular dry clutch just like a manual, not a fluid filled torque converter like everyone else is doing. There is a BMW SMG as well, but again, it's in the stratospheric price range. I won't buy a car for more than $50k until I OWN my home.

I'm still debating selling the IIP tC and getting the IS 350.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Does it change gears like a normal automatic transmission if you don't use the paddles? Like those sport-shift, "manu-matic" deals you find in other vehicles? Like I said, I won't knock it before I try it, but I think if I had to guess, I'd still prefer a good old fashioned manual transmission. Who knows though.

I'm still debating selling the IIP tC and getting the IS 350.[/b]
Do what you must, but don't leave us hangin!

·
Registered
576 Posts
My buddy at work just bought the IS 350 (AWD), Awsome machine i have to admit. His only complaint is the somewhat sluggish acceleration, something in the high 8 seconds range for 0-60. Heavy car. Awsome interior. Feels like sitting in a airplane or something.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Zero to sixty in the high 8's? Are you sure about that? Plain old Corollas do the 0-60 in high 8's.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.