Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
this should be moved but...

slotted rotors actually do nothing in braking power for you, they are designed to keep the rotors cooler but your braking power will actually decrease, just get some nice solids, brembo brakes, baer, etc.

don't quote me on that but thats the way it was when I had my honda, just thought it would be the same way, pretty sure it is but ya know

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You can't get brakes hot in street driving unless you are timidly driving down a very long and steep hill. There is no performance value in replacing the brakes for street use. You might want to change the pads, but the real truth is no brake system will stop you faster than your tires will grip. Since virtually all brake systems are capable of locking the wheels (if ABS is disabled), this means you need better tires to stop in a shorter distance.

If you want to spend a lot of money on bling, go for it. There is no performance reason to change the brakes. FWIW, you want to run the smallest brake discs and lightest calipers you can to minimize unsprung weight and improve wheel compliance, but that's another discussion.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Right on Brother Lance, as usuall

But, I am building a car for autocross, softer pads and maybe SS lines would help but that is about it.

I am going to do some drag racing, sure no gain there by upgrading them but I could make them smaller:)

Going to do some road race track days, now I am starting to have a need.

Going to show the car some for the business, there is a need there as well, maybe a bit of bling but it will be done with taste and not overdone.

Also considering removing the ABS for a real performance gain but will test it in the wet since moving to a wet climate before I remove the systtem.

Rick

·
Registered
272 Posts
when it is time to replace ur pads i usually like to upgrade, a more aggressive pad will stop you faster. I also like the stainless braided linesfor two reasons. one is, while not a huge problem on a new car, but rubber lines tend to expand or bloat...causing a mushy feeling pedal. two, while also not a huge problem on a newer car, ive had one of those rubber lines blow...75mph in my civic, came over a hill, traffic was stopped for an accident, i slammed the brakes and nothing happened. My ebrake did very little and i had to take my lowered honda through the grass median, trying to downshift as i passed stopped traffic...not fun.

the slotted rotors will like said before be pretty useless on the street except for bling, and the high temp fluid will pretty much be unnecessary as well.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Actually slotted rotors do serve a function, but you have to really drive it hard to notice. When semi-metallic brake prades hit the rotor they create a gas. This gas is often trapped between the pad and the rotor, making the pad almost float. These slots in the rotor will actually allow that gas to escape more quickly resulting in stopping a few feet shorter. But I may note, you have to be really heating the brakes up for this gas to become an issue, unless you road race this things for extended periods of time it is a waste of your hard earned money!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Old skool. Modern pads don't outgas, ask any brake engineer. The slots keep the pad surface clean under hard use. They're not there for gas problems.

They sell Scions in Cedar Rapids? What is the world coming to?

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jun 21 2005, 12:00 AM
They sell Scions in Cedar Rapids? What is the world coming to?
I don't know about the world but it appears at least Japan is coming to Cedar Rapids and I imagine many other cities as well.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I was born in Cedar Rapids. Quite some time ago. Almost all my relatives live in Eastern Iowa.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I moved here after graduating college, got the job. Im originally from Omaha. Just FYI, some pads still do gas, rare but it happens, i used to work with the Raybestos rep all the time and they sold a couple models taht still let off gas. Never the less it really doesn't matter, you can't drive a scion hard enough to need slotted rotors.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I don't think you can drive anything hard enough on the street to need "performance" brakes. One track day will upset that whole concept though.

Organic pads do have a gas problem, but they don't get put on anything performance. They go on the cheapest of cheap applications. I remember back in the early 80's when I first started road racing, there were all kinds of "cookbooks" for brake pads to prepare for track use. I'm glad we're past all that now.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Exactly. It was going to cost a grand even for used parts off eBay, and then there's no guarantee they'll even fit right except the 5x100 PCD. I couldn't even find dead used discs to check the fit.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I looked into WRX parts as well and found it was just not worth the bother.

As mentioned in my previous post, I will be doing some track days, that is the only real reason I am doing a brake upgrade to the Wilwood kit.

I do need a bit of bling for shows as this is a business car but very very little bling will be on the car and mostly it will be subtle and have at least some benifit we can actually comment on besides just ricing it out;)

I did just pick up sponsorship from Wilwood, the only brake company I approached as I only go for what I want, not whatever is the latest fad.

There are other good companies around, I feel they are the best and they had what I wanted.

Front setup: 12.9 rotos, aluminum hats, 4 piston forged calipers, pads for track use, ss lines.

Rear brakes: They have nothing for the car and no plans as just not needed, I would have to to a really big custom setup which I do not want and they do not recommend because we will actually race the car. So, I ordered some Powerslot rotors and Raybestos Quiet Stop Ceramic pads and will have some ss lines made as well. Wilwood recommended the pads as the best to blananc out the bias front to rear.

Fluid: Probably Motul RF600, had great luck with it in the past, will do a bit more research before the final decision.

Rick

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.