Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, did a lot of people disable the governor, because I hear a bunch of tC owners saying that they've reached speeds higher than 127 mph
. And how do you go about disabling it? Use some kind of ECU reflash program?

·
Registered
576 Posts
They're lying.

And no. Not without a ECU flash, but do you have the thousands of $ for the tool/ and the knowledge to do it? I know I dont.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I overheard some guy say that his friend went 190 in a corolla the other day....I just shook my head.

A friend of mine said he went 175 in his dad's dodge RAM. I called the bullshit police on that one.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I got my tC to around 115 and to be honest, it didn't feel like it had much more room to go. Gets to 100 pretty quick, but from there on out its a dog. I also know someone who insist he's topped 130 in his tC, I called him out and he said next time he'd try to snap a pic, until then, i'm also raising the bull #### flag

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Speedometers are terribly inaccurate at speeds over 100 mph. Tire slip becomes a big issue, and if you look into top speed contests you'll find the only way to measure really high speed is with timing lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does the tC ECU get its speed reading from the cluster?

I know in the Cavy it did and ppl would put a switch on the power to the cluster so the ECU didnt know how fast the car was going, there by letting them go faster. (or as fast as a cavy would go lol)

*****NOTE*****
*If you have an auto the ECU will think the car is at 0mph and down shift = boom
**The switch is viewed as playing with the odometer = illegal

·
Registered
172 Posts
on the way back from up north (it's a michigan thing) i had the cruise control on at 126...

so it definitely goes that fast, at least according to the speedometer... i dunno if there was tire slip or whatever, but if the cruise was on, i'd think it was pretty constant/accurate?

if i go that fast again i'll take a pic with my phone and post it, if you'd like.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I initially went to test drive the Scion the manager of the place told me he had some connections to get some chip that removes the RPm and top speed govenors. Now keep in mind the guy was trying to sell me a car, but do you think this was a true statement?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jun 23 2005, 11:19 PM
Speedometers are terribly inaccurate at speeds over 100 mph. Tire slip becomes a big issue, and if you look into top speed contests you'll find the only way to measure really high speed is with timing lights.
Ah, I see. What's a timing light?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Originally posted by DeaTh_tC@Jun 24 2005, 07:40 PM
on the way back from up north (it's a michigan thing) i had the cruise control on at 126...

so it definitely goes that fast, at least according to the speedometer... i dunno if there was tire slip or whatever, but if the cruise was on, i'd think it was pretty constant/accurate?

if i go that fast again i'll take a pic with my phone and post it, if you'd like.
126? cruise controll? your piston rings really must love you

·
Registered
172 Posts
i only did it for a mile or so... just to say i'd done it, ya know? i was averaging about 80-85 for the trip on cruise control. so i don't think there are any hard feelings as far as my tC is concerned.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by adambeazley@Jun 24 2005, 11:11 PM
When I initially went to test drive the Scion the manager of the place told me he had some connections to get some chip that removes the RPm and top speed govenors. Now  keep in mind the guy was trying to sell me a car, but do you think this was a true statement?
I don't think the guy was telling you any where near the truth. I know if I were selling a car..and it was going to be under warranty and my dealership would be seeing it again.. I sure would not defeat ANY of the safety and engine protection items. It sounds like the typical crap that some sales people say when trying to sell you something. I usually think.." who the heck do you think you are fooling? Just let me look at and drive the car and give that BS to someone who is easily impressed."
Again, almost anything can be done if you throw enough time, knowledge, and money at it...but why bother?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Originally posted by DeaTh_tC@Jun 24 2005, 07:40 PM

No...please don't. If you're gonna go that fast in this car, keep both hands on the wheel.

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
Originally posted by SilverRSXJezus@Jun 25 2005, 07:49 AM
Just like at the drag strip when they measure your speed at the end of the run. A set of lights with a known distance between them. Really, it's just like staging lights. Cut the beams, measure the speed.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Jun 26 2005, 01:24 AM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Jun 26 2005, 01:24 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-SilverRSXJezus
@Jun 25 2005, 07:49 AM

Just like at the drag strip when they measure your speed at the end of the run. A set of lights with a known distance between them. Really, it's just like staging lights. Cut the beams, measure the speed. [/b]
Oh...gotcha. I thought it was....something else, lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the scion manual for the tC said limited to 108 mph. this car is not geared for high speeds at 70 my MT tC turns @3200rpms thats over 1/2 to peak power rpms at 5700 rpms. Like was said, it get to 100 pmh fast but then its a slug and who really needs to go that fast? Sure its fun for a little but really. I did have a 90' Celica ST in 92' and had it to 122 mph. a couple of times speedo was for 120 mph. it was a little past that, and it was an auto. It took a while to get there.

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
No, I'm certain it doesn't say that. I've been well over that a few times, and I'm very familiar with top speed limiters. Empirical evidence and magazine tests suggest it is limited to 127 mph.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Well I've had my tC over 108 *ahem* so that's abviously not the top speed. Somebody here posted a chart showing what the tC is capable of as far as gearing goes...I think it was 140 for the 5spd and 160 for the auto. Obviously the car doesn't have the power for that, even if it wasn't limited to 127.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know for sure that I've had the car upto 127mph at which point some kind of electronic kill joy steps in...Also, my tc has been really quick upto 120, its just that last 7mph that seem to drag out...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts