Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after taking the tee-cee to the drag strip I encountered our worst enemy, wheel hop. I've been doing some research into how to eliminate it, and the most often topic I've found is suspension. Which makes me ask, do the TRD shocks, springs, and rear-sway cause more wheel hop then the stock shock assembly?

Everyone's thoughts, opinions, and idea giving is greatly appreciated in this. Don't shoot other peoples ideas, thoughts, or opinions down unless you have solid evidence against it (the key word here is going to be constructive criticism).

Lo bux, your expertise would be greatly appreciated

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You start with tire pressure. It's free, and you can overcome a lot of problems with tire pressure alone. Don't be afraid to drop the pressure way down, even below 20 psi, just bring something with you to boost it back up to road pressure. I've heard of guys going as low at 16 psi.

Of course, this is NOT recommended for long tire life or by any of the tire manufacturers. Low pressures can cause unusual things to happen to your handling, so drop in increments of no more than 3 or 4 psi. Those are BIG steps.

If you are still suffering wheel hop after all the pressure adjustments, try disconnecting the sway bar. Again, this will change the handling you expect from the car, so be cautious with your first couple of runs with no sways.

If you STILL have hop after disconnecting the sways, THEN you start thinking about spending money on shocks and springs. The reason you really don't want to do this to your street car is the optimum setup for drag racing is NOT the optimum setup for around town driving. It's expensive to buy springs and shocks, and it's a PITA to swap out suspension for a track day. That said, it might be what you need.

The other obvious thing to spend money on is a set of tires on smaller rims. If you can get a 15" rim over the brakes (don't know, haven't tried), then you can get some much stickier rubber on the car with some softer sidewalls and really low pressures like the real drag cars. You'll be amazed what a set of real drag tires will do for your 60' times...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have driven both the Tc and an Acura RSX S-type and let me tell you. The wheel hop is way way worse on the Acura. You wouldnt believe how bad it was. Anyway the way the Acura guys combat wheel hop is to replace the motor mounts with urethan ones from energy suspension. I'm not sure that they make them for the Tc yet but im sure they would like to know there is an interest. The other thing they put on their car is an engine torque damper. Its sorta like a little shock absorber that mounts between the engine and frame/body. Its main purpose is to reduce engine movement during shifts but for some reason it also reduces wheel hop. Ingalls makes them. Again im not sure if they make them for the Tc yet. Bad thing about the urethane motor mounts is that it transmits much more engine vibration into the cabin so if you want a smooth machine this may not be the choice for you. Check out clubrsx.com and look in the store to see what the torque damper looks like.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
tire pressure and disconnecting sways are free. I always start with free unless there is a known issue.

Urethane motor mounts suck for street driving. Even harder rubber mounts are not that great. You've never ridden in anything so buzzy and loud until you do something like this. It's even worse than pillowball mounts for the struts/shocks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.