Scion tC Forums banner

41 - 60 of 506 Posts

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
QUOTE (suprman133 @ Apr 3 2009, 11:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=461613
Also forgot to include Land Swimmers great to include in your lower back days.[/b]
We just started doing that in yoga. :p

I weighed myself last night and saw that I've lost 3 pounds in the last 3 weeks in yoga. Doesn't seem like a lot, but when you consider I'm 5'11", I was 155 pounds when we started, and I'm obviously not doing it to lose weight, I can definitely see how people could lose a lot of weight doing it. After seeing that I was losing weight, I decided I should probably look through the Protein section here to start taking one of the lower level ones when we start the weight lifting section of yoga next week.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
QUOTE (lucidspoon @ Apr 6 2009, 09:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462206
I decided I should probably look through the Protein section here to start taking one of the lower level ones when we start the weight lifting section of yoga next week.[/b]
Good to see you're sticking with it bud!

Remember, you don't have to go straight to a protein as the answer. Many times, simply increasing your Daily caloric intake by a few hundred good calories can make the difference in maintaining your weight. Remember yoga promotes a long, lean body, and low bF%(body fat percentage). If you continue to lose weight (which you probably will with only yoga in your workout), definitely begin to incorporate weight lifting and more food, or weight lifting and a protein into your diet.

Keep it up! :D

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Yeah. Definitely sticking with it. I really enjoy it more than other workout videos that Sarah's brought home for herself, and I like that it's way more intensive than regular yoga. Normally, when I would try to create my own workout routine, it would just involve the things I could do around the house (ie. elliptical, ab lounge, pushups, and crunches). Usually by the time I was ready to increase my caloric intake, I was getting tired of the repetition of the workouts, so suddenly I'd be hooked on eating more and start working out less.

Once we get to the "maintenance" part of yoga in a few weeks, I'll probably start adding the other stuff back in, but not necessarily worry about doing them more than a few times a week.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Just got finished with a pretty good work out. I set a new personal best with the wheel. Was able to get around 45-50 yards without stopping, did that twice. I still suck at doing it backwards, I can usually only get around 15-20 yards. Last week we graduated from rocks to medicine balls, we use a 20lb and a 30lb. Today was the first day we incorporated a weighted vest, we put it at 45lbs and would take turns wearing it for 20min sessions while we'd work out. I was only able to do like 3 dips with it, its a major difference. I'd do polymetric jumping with the vest on a 18in platform and after that I took the vest off and was able to do the 36in no problem. Flipping the tire and using the 16lb sledge wasn't much different with the vest. Then to end it I did a half mile run with the vest on, it was crazy with the extra weight, I could feel my lungs working overtime.

We got the video back from the first time it was filmed and it was decent but now we have way more equipment so we're going to have the guy come back out and film again soon. I'll post it up so you all can check it out.

I don't think anybody really knows but my brother started up a personal training business so that's how I have access to all this stuff and why its being filmed. He's using film as a demo.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
Supr, it has been proven, that all those exercises don't do much of good to those who are looking for a six pack.
They are good for strengthening, but as the 6 pack gainer, they are useless. all one gets is a fatter stomach.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
QUOTE (Foques @ Apr 6 2009, 09:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462328
Supr, it has been proven, that all those exercises don't do much of good to those who are looking for a six pack.
They are good for strengthening, but as the 6 pack gainer, they are useless. all one gets is a fatter stomach.[/b]
Not to be rude, but proven? It's been "proven" that CAI's and the turbonator give you 10+ peak horsepower. Could you show me a reputable source with real world application, where this was proven? If your intensity and form is correct, your 6 pack may not be full fledged as much of it is genetic, but I can almost guarantee you a flatter stomach with more definition and losing inches off your waist.

Many of these abdominal 'nay-sayers' are usually just too damn lazy to do the workout properly or give it enough time. Abdominal muscles are the hardest muscles in the body to develop, and it may take months to get what you want. People swear they are gonna do 20 sit-ups for a week and have a 6 pack. Also realize that genetically speaking you may be more pre-disposed for a 4 pack than a 6 pack. This does not mean it's not attainable. It takes time and practice ( in execution of the routine) to develop. I'll be damned if you try this workout and get a fatter stomach. At the very least, you will see some more definition.

Moreover, remember that the proper diet to promote fat loss and abdominal tears is necessary to achieve a nice stomach. Often times, people are doing their abdominal exercises and maintaining they're usual diet, which is not lucrative to building a six pack. You must be in a lean, cutting cycle to do so, meaning you are cutting down on caloric intake.

You can't argue with results. I'll even show you my current client Cristina's abs. No, she did not have a great disposition for a 6 pack, but we were able to flatten her stomach and get definition.She does this routine every week and works very hard. This is her progress after 6 months. I don't even do this routine consistently and it cut up my abs in about 7 weeks. I don't even have to flex them.

Here's my abs relaxed with my arms over my head...My abs come a bit easier than most, but I was able to go from no definition to a 6 pack in 3 months at my peak training levels.

and here are her's lightly flexed. She had a flabby stomach and was 15 pounds overweight when she started with me. She works very hard on her abs, and although it was not easy, she got the desired results by sticking to the routine and increasing intensity. She will have her six pack soon enough.

I put a personal investment into my personal training. I've taken the time to research, and study for this, as well as experiment with and develop effective techniques. I also NEVER EVER require or SUGGEST something to a client/consult that I cannot do or have not tried myself and gotten results. Many things have been 'proven'. They're not always right.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
While on the subject of abs, is there any merit whatsoever to those eletric belts? I'm not looking to get one, because it seems kind of silly to me, but a friend of mine was asking me if I thought he should get the Contour belt, because a friend of his has one and loves it. The friend that has it said that he lost 2 pants sizes in a few weeks, but then gained it back in a week of not using it. My guess is that it just trains you to be flexed more often, so it seems like your abs are smaller.

My friends think that they can get one and just sit on the couch and get in shape. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
QUOTE (lucidspoon @ Apr 7 2009, 06:34 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462347
While on the subject of abs, is there any merit whatsoever to those eletric belts? I'm not looking to get one, because it seems kind of silly to me, but a friend of mine was asking me if I thought he should get the Contour belt, because a friend of his has one and loves it. The friend that has it said that he lost 2 pants sizes in a few weeks, but then gained it back in a week of not using it. My guess is that it just trains you to be flexed more often, so it seems like your abs are smaller.

My friends think that they can get one and just sit on the couch and get in shape. :rolleyes:[/b]
Let's just say they are about as legit as the Turbonator. While the muscle stimulation may help stimulate the movement, without resistance it's completely a waste of time. Not to mention you risk killing nuero connections with over stimulation through outside electricity.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Moreover, I would like to add, that if the plethora of ab exercises I posted won't get you a six pack, Foques, then I would LOVE for you to share the secret with me of what on earth will?

I love expanding my knowledge. But I just see absolutely no basis for the comment you made.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

Here's a kettlebell stomach, this is an old picture before I started doing everything I am now. I've already got a little bit more definition after using the power wheel for a few weeks. George still has me beat but I'm trying to catch up :p

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
QUOTE (ReDx @ Apr 8 2009, 04:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462466
George still has me beat but I'm trying to catch up :p[/b]
Lookin good Ryan, that's what I like to see, nice and lean. Add some oblique crunches, since you don't have deep oblique dips. By tapering your oblique dips, your abs will look more defined.

Try to catch me, i just upped my intensity using the resistance bands this week. And I'm adding suspended exercises next week.
8-pack here I come! :p

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
My brother has got resistance bands but I've yet to use them. He just got in a sled today so we're breaking it in tomorrow.

Haha, I doubt I'll catch you, every time I get a good 6pack I end up drinking it and having to start over :D

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
QUOTE (suprman133 @ Apr 7 2009, 11:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462385
Moreover, I would like to add, that if the plethora of ab exercises I posted won't get you a six pack, Foques, then I would LOVE for you to share the secret with me of what on earth will?

I love expanding my knowledge. But I just see absolutely no basis for the comment you made.[/b]

G, I am speaking from what I am seeing at the gym and what i've learned from a few trainers, as well as research i've done so far (a few physiologists, as in doctors, agree as well)

a few times a month, i am working out with 3 bodybuilders and 2 wrestlers.
The reason why only a few times is because then, they are doing their "low" weight conditioning.
is
The three guys have solid abs, and NEVER do any exercises. They do, however, follow what they ear, calorie intake, proteins, carbs etc.
Wrestlers, however, do spend 30 minutes doing complete opposite... Yeah, their abs are there.. But even flexed are not visible.
They are forming a solid flat mass.

Many people i've spoken with say that to develop six pack one needs to lose weight. If you can stand straight and do a heavy or somewhat heavy weight workout, your core is solid enough.
It is to make it strong (which is NOT less important in any way) you need to do that kind of exercise.

Not trying to be rude, or pee in your soup, but if it is wrong, prove that to me please.
I tend to trust those people who have spend 20-30 years building their own body as well as others..

Also, an odd thing, my abs got more defined since I started spending time i've spend doing abs at the threadmill. but i may be a bad example as my body is all kinds of screwed up

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
QUOTE (Foques @ Apr 8 2009, 05:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462488
QUOTE (suprman133 @ Apr 7 2009, 11:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462385

I love expanding my knowledge. But I just see absolutely no basis for the comment you made.[/b]

G, I am speaking from what I am seeing at the gym and what i've learned from a few trainers, as well as research i've done so far (a few physiologists, as in doctors, agree as well)

a few times a month, i am working out with 3 bodybuilders and 2 wrestlers.
The reason why only a few times is because then, they are doing their "low" weight conditioning.
is
The three guys have solid abs, and NEVER do any exercises. They do, however, follow what they ear, calorie intake, proteins, carbs etc.
Wrestlers, however, do spend 30 minutes doing complete opposite... Yeah, their abs are there.. But even flexed are not visible.
They are forming a solid flat mass.

Many people i've spoken with say that to develop six pack one needs to lose weight. If you can stand straight and do a heavy or somewhat heavy weight workout, your core is solid enough.
It is to make it strong (which is NOT less important in any way) you need to do that kind of exercise.

Not trying to be rude, or pee in your soup, but if it is wrong, prove that to me please.
I tend to trust those people who have spend 20-30 years building their own body as well as others..

Also, an odd thing, my abs got more defined since I started spending time i've spend doing abs at the threadmill. but i may be a bad example as my body is all kinds of screwed up
[/b][/quote]

I've became one of the most successful trainers at the gym at the youngest age. And I have more studying and certifications than most people have shoes. Since then I've been able to get over 20 private clients into my training program with excellent results. But I already posted the evidence. As did Ryan, who does routines very similar to the components in my programs. Having abs visible and having strong abs that are visible as well are two different things. Most people have a misunderstanding of how and when they abdominal muscles work. Most bodybuilders also have limited knowledge as to WHY their abs show. They have visible abs because of low body fat percentage and VERY heavy lifts, indirectly engaging all the core muscles through hours of hypertrophy(muscle tearing for aesthetic building). Most of us are not doing 300lbs power cleans and it would be difficult to do this otherwise. And in any event, most bodybuilders don't last more than 2 sets in my ab workout.

I've done this with multiple in all kinds of shape and sports affiliations proved them wrong every time. let's also not forget the societal stigma already attached to developing your abdominal muscles. people use bad genetics, partial scientific studies and improper abdominal training to justify chalking one up to"uselessness", "impossibility" or "genetic hinderance"

There are two things that need to be addressed in abdomial isolation:

First: LOCATION AND APPLICATION
You (like most people) actually have things sort of backwards. The rectus abdominus is purely responsible for aesthetics (top layer of ab muscles). No one can achieve ripped abs without training these muscles.(whether directly or indirectly) The core strength muscles (responsible for heavy lifting, rotational force, etc.) are the transverse abdominus, so someone that says they do crunches for their core strength doesnt know what they are talking about anyway. The core strength will come from full core stimulation through various ab exercise combination and the ADDING OF RESISTANCE whether through weights or increased difficulty.

Secondly: STATIC strength versus FUNCTIONAL strength.
Static strength comes form isolated ab exercise such as sit-up, crunches, v-sits. This is responsible for stabilization and stamina.
Functional strength is the brute core strength. This is used when picking up weight, generating acceleration, explosion from compression, or rotational force. This comes form power lifting, jumping, etc. The two are directly correlated, and just because you have one, does not mean that you have the other. Bodybuilder tend to develop both, but static strength is usually underdeveloped when compared to their functional strength. Yoga students etc, tend to be the other way around.

To say you need one without the other is silly, and only one will never yield the "ideal" six pack. Both are necessary. when I train my cleints I am training them in complete fashion, not just the minimum to achieve desired results.

If you or other body builders want to settle for "solid enough", that is entirely your prerogative. I can dead-lift over 300 lbs. on my 169 lb. frame because of static strength that's developed through my routine, and added to functional strength. My attempt is to build a complete, solid, fully versatile athlete. That CANNOT be done without ever working your abs. 40% of all generated forces originate in the" core " muscles. I can GUARANTEE that if those bodybuilders worked their cores more through static ab exercises, they would see weight increases in every single one of their lifts. ESPECIALLY cleans, dead lifts and presses.

Again, I encourage you to do my routine consistently and with good form and energy. Results will appear given your diet is correct. Those pictures aren't photoshopped.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Good stuff George, you and my brother need to talk. You two have got the exact same mind with personal training.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
George, you took my comments wrong.. I am not trying to get in to pissing contest with you, or question your word. Just saying what I know.

And I will take my chance sounding rude here, but I really do not like when people start tossing their achievements instead of getting straight to the facts...

As for the facts..it is interesting.
You got me convinced. I will try your system for next 6 month, lets see what will come of it. Aint' going to hurt regardless, right?

PS. I think you've generated enough heat (i'm seeing guests reading this topic), time to pop the question to Eric..

PSS. I am offended that you think that I would think that you've photoshopped something to prove your point! :p (If that makes any sense)

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
QUOTE (Foques @ Apr 8 2009, 06:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462502
George, you took my comments wrong.. I am not trying to get in to pissing contest with you, or question your word. Just saying what I know.

And I will take my chance sounding rude here, but I really do not like when people start tossing their achievements instead of getting straight to the facts...

As for the facts..it is interesting.
You got me convinced. I will try your system for next 6 month, lets see what will come of it. Aint' going to hurt regardless, right?

PS. I think you've generated enough heat (i'm seeing guests reading this topic), time to pop the question to Eric..

PSS. I am offended that you think that I would think that you've photoshopped something to prove your point! :p (If that makes any sense)[/b]
Point taken. But I think my achievements support the quality of my work.

Just understand that when you post something contradictory to what I've said twice, it comes off as debating/challenging something I've put countless of hours and physical pain into. And don't take this personally, but this is an amateur debating a professional. I and will never post something I don't stand behind 100%.

Now if we can move on from this, I'd be glad to answer other questions or take suggestions for other topics.

·
RIP George James
6,068 Posts
George, is there another way to work out abs besides laying on the floor or doing suspended crunches? my tailbone is really messed up and the slightest touch of it causes pain for 10-15 seconds. whenever i do abs the rolling motion irritates it and will make me stop. i was thinking about getting one of those fitness balls or whatever and doing situps like that. would that benefit me the same as regular sit ups?

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
QUOTE (undeSiReD_eFx @ Apr 8 2009, 06:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=462507
plyo .pdfs![/b]
^^^Ah, thanks for reminding me bud. I'll upload them to putfile or something for download tonight as post some here as soon as I'm done with the videos.

41 - 60 of 506 Posts