Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 506 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you may or may not know, I am a huge exercise freak. As a certified trainer(NFPT/NCCA), I specialize in plyometrics (strength and explosiveness) training. I put in 11 months of studying and testing to make sure I know my stuff inside out, as well of years of practical application( no quick 6 weeks ' online accreditation' courses for me!) I have been a martial artist for 15 years(Shotokan, Tae Kwon Do, specializing in Jeet Kune Do and MMA), and played 5 Varsity sports in High School(Basketball, Football, Volleyball, Lacrosse, Track), as well as one year of College Basketball at Cal State University Northridge. I pride myself on giving great advice from experience.

As a multi-sport athlete and martial art instructor and practitioner, I love seeing people grow and develop through physical fitness. I will use this thread to post workouts, post product reviews, post/write informative articles, answer any questions you may have, and chart my progress. I invite others to do the same if you wish.

Remember most people have limited knowledge of the reason as to WHY as supplement does what it does, or how an exercise achieves good results. ASK ASK ASK. The more knowledge you have about the subject matter, the more effectively you can apply it to yourself.

The first thing I will be doing is explaining one of the most misunderstood yet most widely used/recommended supplements. PROTEIN!

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
DUDE!!
Thank you!

/popcorn

on the side note, Eric, maybe we should create a separate section for fitness?

·
Premium Member
11,386 Posts
Naw..This is still a car forum, so think it belongs fine here in offtopic.

G, next you should do a tips post for us fattys.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PROTEIN 101: The Basics about Usage and Types :boxing:

There was a time back-in-the-day when upping your protein intake meant raw eggs and baked potatoes 15 times a day. Not only is that difficult to consume, but you risked gettin sick form the eggs and bloated form the excessive digestion. Nowadays, proteins have become safer, more convenient, and more effective( not to mention much better tasting than raw eggs).

Now, with all the different kinds of protein you may be wondering" Well, George, which protein is right for me?" The answer to that may be simple or complicated. Each will have a different use and effect based on your level of activity, fitness goals, and your body's natural tendencies. For the sake of thouroughness, I will break down proteins into six basic categories, and three major structural forms.

1. Concentrates (lower protein level, more economical),
2. Isolates (higher protein level, more expensive), and
3. Hydrolysates (partially broken down for faster digestion & absorption).

STEP 1 : WHAT THE HELL SHOULD I TAKE?
Each type of protein has a different use and results. By better understanding the types of protein and what they do, you can pick which would best fit into your lifestyle.

1. WHEY PROTEINS (Hydrolysate)
Arguably, the reigning champ of all proteins, with the most versatile applications, and usually the quickest results. Whey proteins are quickly and easily digested (which is why they are extra useful as a post-workout drink), they are loaded with Essential Amino Acids (EAAs)–including the three Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs, MORE ON THESE LATER). Whey protein account for a large percent of the protein in most foods, including 20% of the protein in milk. This is the most common form of protein, regularly used for weight gain and muscle building, or as a quick high protein meal replacement. CAREFUL with these if you have a light/easy workout routine. If you are not burning off enough carbs/calories the high protein concentration will make you gain weight in body fat.

2. CASEIN PROTEINS (Isolate)
My personal favorite because of my fast metabolism. This is considered a slower acting "Time Release" type of protein. It is actually the other 80% of the protein in milk. Casein proteins are great to take if you are a heavy lifter/high cardio athlete right before bedtime. They digest slowly in 5-8 hour periods, and can be great in stopping catabolic states (another topic we will discuss at length later). Catabolic states in the body break down amino acids and muscle fiber, which defeats the purpose of trying to gain muscle. This protein ensures you stay fed overnight without destroying muscle you worked so hard to gain. It is also extra responsible for helping recovery times by letting your body focus on building muscle tissue and breaking down lactic acid(the acid that fatigues you and makes you sore, again, another topic for later) in order to prepare for the next day. This can be taken if you are in a position where you will not be able to eat for several hours during a work or schoolday for example. Casein proteins combine well with Whey proteins for total muscle supplementation.

3. MILK PROTEINS (concentrates, soy is included here)
Milk proteins are dried milk with most of the fat and carbohydrate removed. Like liquid moo juice, powdered milk proteins
are about 20% whey protein and 80% casein, so utilization is intermediate. The soy counterparts, such as Muscle milk are great for people on diets because of the low carbs, and help build muscle which is the best fat burner known to man.

4. EGG PROTEINS (concentrates)
HI in albumen, these egg based proteins have everything you need since eggs have become the standard for protein consumption. Egg based proteins are a great dairy-free ALTERNATIVE for those who arevegetarian, allergic to components in protein powders, or have lactose intolerance. Be aware that Amino acid supplementation is a good idea since eggs have most EAA's(essential amino acids) and lack BCAA's (branched chain amino acids). These are great for the casual gym-goer, and women as well.

5. BLENDED PROTEINS (all three)
Blended proteins are usually a combination of all three forms of protein and are readily available in the forms of bars, powders, and even baking materials. This protein is similar to Egg based proteins except that they will usually help hold off hunger a bit longer, because they are obviously longer lasting than a single source protein because they take longer to break down in digestion.

6. RECOVERY PROTEINS (all three)
There are moderate calorie, fast-acting protein and carbohydrate combinations specifically designed to be consumed immediately after workouts when nutrient needs are great and glycogen and muscle protein re-synthesis are at their peak. Many also contain whey protein hydrolysates and supplemental ingredients like creatine, BCAAs, and glutamine to further aid the recovery and rebuilding process.

STEP 2 : FIGURE OUT HOW MUCH YOU NEED!

Look, BUYING A PROTEIN ISN’T ROCKET SCIENCE, but don't just pick stuff up randomly either. Choose the wrong type and you'll intake too much, which probably won't agree with your stomach very well. Worse yet, don't get enough and get maximum gains – or any gains at all. The form (or forms, remember you can combine) of protein you select, how protein per serving, and the absence or presence of carbs, fats, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, are other things can make all the difference.

For most people, the rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day. People who are trying to bulk up/add size may need as much as 1.5 g protein/lb. body weight/day.
You should also plan on eating some extra protein (1.25-1.5 g/lb/day) if you’re trying to lose weight on higher-protein, lower carbohydrate diets, as some of the amino acids will be burned for fuel. These amounts include all of the protein consumed through foods, beverages, and supplements. What’s more, your daily protein allotment should be spread out over 4-6 smaller meals to enhance absorption and utilization. If you’re a big meat, fish,
poultry, egg, and dairy food eater, you can probably get by with a smaller “hit” of protein from your drink. Vegetarians and others who eat lots of starchy foods will benefit more from a higher-protein since they don't need as many carbs.

Here's how to calculate how much protein you're actually getting based on the nutritional facts on the protein.

PURE PROTEIN PERCENTAGE is a way to compare proteins. While the Nutrition Facts panel tells you how much
protein is in each serving, the protein percentage tells you how pure your protein is. To calculate, Divide the grams of
protein in a single serving by the serving size and multiply by 100. Here’s an example using two different proteins.
The first contains 24 grams of protein and has a serving size of 29.4 grams; the second contains 26 grams of protein in a
35 gram serving size.

PROTEIN # 1
24 g protein / 29.4 g serving size x 100
= 81.6% pure protein

PROTEIN # 2
26 g protein / 35 g serving size x 100
= 74.3% pure protein

So although the second one looks like more at first glance, upon further inspection, you can see you're getting more pure protein in the first protein and that would be the smarter choice.

STEP 3 : STICK WITH YOUR CHOICES!
Remember, you are attempting to TRANSFORM your body, it won't happen overnight. Allow up to 3 months to saturate your system and notice impressive gains/losses. All good things come with time, reshaping your body is no different. All too often people quit on a protein/workout before they've alloted sufficient time for the changes to begin taking place.

STEP 4 : TIMING! (When you take protein is just as important as what you're taking!)

FIRST THING IN THE MORNING: The period between when you go to bed and wake up in the morning is the longest that your body goes without food. “Break the fast” with protein, or a good protein rich breakfast. Either will do fine.

PRE-WORKOUT: By drinking a protein shake about an hour before your workout, you’ll “prime” your body for growth with BCAAs and other essential amino acids. Whey and egg proteins are a good choice, because they are easy to drink and quickly digested.

POST-WORKOUT: The 30-60 minute time frame following exercise is the single most important time of the day to get protein. Enzymes and hormones are actively repairing and rebuilding exercise-induced damage as well as replenishing glycogen stores, so your muscles are especially receptive to nutrients. By supplying a post-workout recovery protein containing whey, casein, egg, and simple carbohydrates during this “window” of
opportunity, you’ll help ensure that you’re recharged and ready for your next training session.

BETWEEN MEALS: Consuming a protein shake in between meals not only helps keep muscle synthesis maximized, it also helps keep body fat and body weight in check. Proteins help stimulate the release of gut hormones that trigger a feeling of fullness or satiety. Dairy proteins (whey, casein, and milk) are considered to be better appetite blunters than other protein sources – especially when combined with dietary fiber – so choose a product with
one or more of these proteins if weight control is part of your goals. THIS IS IMPORTANT IF YOU'RE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT. When you skip meals, you slow your metabolism! Eat small, eat often! IF YOU'RE TRYING TO GAIN WEIGHT EAT OFTEN, EAT BIG, LIFT BIG, SLEEP BIG.

BEFORE BED: Prepare your body for the long fast ahead with a casein protein shake a half an hour before bed. Unlike whey which is rapidly broken down in the gut, casein is digested at a much slower rate releasing its amino acid constituents over several hours throughout the night while you sleep.

STEP 5: WORK HARD AND BE CONSISTENT!
This one speaks for itself. Do what you do, do it right, do it consistently. Be motivated, and when you're not, look for motivation. Work hard, often people don't push themselves hard enough or long enough. Either work out lighter for longer or shorter and super hard. But don't work out lightly for 20 minutes. You're not helping the supplements do they're jobs. Don't cheat, and keep positive. Earn respect from your body, and it will respond accordingly.

·
Gynecomastia
5,925 Posts
QUOTE (suprman133 @ Mar 27 2009, 10:53 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=460313
STEP 3 : STICK WITH YOUR CHOICES!
Remember, you are attempting to TRANSFORM your body, it won't happen overnight. Allow up to 3 months to saturate your system and notice impressive gains/losses. All good things come with time, reshaping your body is no different. All too often people quit on a protein/workout before they've alloted sufficient time for the changes to begin taking place.

STEP 5: WORK HARD AND BE CONSISTENT!
This one speaks for itself. Do what you do, do it right, do it consistently. Be motivated, and when you're not, look for motivation. Work hard, often people don't push themselves hard enough or long enough. Either work out lighter for longer or shorter and super hard. But don't work out lightly for 20 minutes. You're not helping the supplements do they're jobs. Don't cheat, and keep positive. Earn respect from your body, and it will respond accordingly.[/b]

100% agree with you my brotha!

·
Party Pat
4,932 Posts
dieting should be your next cover :pPPPP

haha thats my trouble.

how about gimmicks such as weight loss pills ex) hydroxycut(hardcore), lipo-6, alli, etc etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
D, many car forums have subforums dedicated to health and fitness.
well, all that i'm on, at least..

Interesting read, G.
Taking notes..

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (Foques @ Mar 27 2009, 12:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=460324
D, many car forums have subforums dedicated to health and fitness.
well, all that i'm on, at least..

Interesting read, G.
Taking notes..[/b]

I agree, both the VW fourm and the charger forums I'm on have them. It would definitely help me to keep the information more organized seeing as how this is going to get filled/confusing very quickly all under one topic. Eric, any take on this?

QUOTE (Reaper @ Mar 27 2009, 12:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=460323
dieting should be your next cover :pPPPP

haha thats my trouble.

how about gimmicks such as weight loss pills ex) hydroxycut(hardcore), lipo-6, alli, etc etc.[/b]
My next two topics will be Hypertrophy(Muscle building) and the all important weight loss (in which I will cover all the tricks, sales gimmicks, products, etc)

I will do my best to finish at least one of these by this weekend. It's hard to keep it concise when there so much information and products to cover, but I'am doing my best. This is actually good for me too, since I get to review my material and form little "study guides" for myself and my clients.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Can you take questions? OK, so if I run for 45 minutes in 5 degree F temp and 45 minutes in 90 degree temp on the same track, which would burn the most calories? And.... how could I have lost almost 20# in 5 days following knee surgery in January?

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (cdmuile @ Mar 27 2009, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=460398
Can you take questions? OK, so if I run for 45 minutes in 5 degree F temp and 45 minutes in 90 degree temp on the same track, which would burn the most calories? And.... how could I have lost almost 20# in 5 days following knee surgery in January?[/b]
Questions are always welcome.

Calorie burning is actually almost independent of your environment as the human body is amazingly accurate and consistent when regulating core temperature. Assuming you were properly guarded against the 5 º weather, it should be about the same. The only time you would be consuming way more calories to regulate temperature would be if you were in an EXTREMELY cold environment. Cold enough to lower your core temp., forcing your body to cannibalize fat and muscle tissue to produce endothermic heat.

The intensity of your workout (i.e. speed you're actually running, distance, or resistance) is what will dictate the calories burned.

As for the losing 20 (lbs.) I'm assuming? Factor in a scale error of about +/- 5lbs. and then assume you can lose up to 10 lbs. in water weight very easily in a matter of days. Large amounts of shock (extreme pain, surgery, lack of food) can pull on your body to burn energy reserves to repair the damage, which takes water reserves, hence doubling the amount of water weight you could lose in that same time period. Also, certain pain killers can cause dehydration which is why medicines like Vicadin (often given after knee surgery) are often prescribed with a stool softener, since they lead to constipation because they suck water out of the digestive system.
I.V. serves mostly to hydrate you. But remember your digestive process begins each day whether you eat or not.
Also Rick, I'm not sure of what your physical markup is, but people with less extra muscle (the average joe) will normally lose weight faster after a surgery due to the fast period before and after. Your body unable to digest anything pulls from your reserves, and since muscle excess muscle is normally taken first, the next will be fat storages, and finally vital muscle, so if you're skinnier, you'll lose more of your base.

·
Super Moderator
10,409 Posts
For the record, what G says about extremely low temperature... a good example would be heavy shivering during a drastic temperature change.
Your body attempts to wake body up, generate more energy. Extreme would be a shiver transforming in to a seizure unless properly trained (mind AND body)

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^Yup... Shivers/shuddering are an example of your body trying to expand/contract muscles quickly to generate endothermic heat. It's a survival tactic embedded in mammals DNA.

·
RIP George James
6,068 Posts
Alright G I have some questions. What is the ideal time to let your muscles recover before working them out again? Let's say I do all these upper body lifts on Monday, would the next ideal day to start working them again be Wednesday? Also, I have heard that lifting low weight with high reps will work on the definition of your muscle while doing low reps of high weight will build "mass". Is there any truth to that? Thanks again George

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (Scion08 @ Mar 28 2009, 07:00 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=460454
Alright G I have some questions. What is the ideal time to let your muscles recover before working them out again? Let's say I do all these upper body lifts on Monday, would the next ideal day to start working them again be Wednesday? Also, I have heard that lifting low weight with high reps will work on the definition of your muscle while doing low reps of high weight will build "mass". Is there any truth to that? Thanks again George[/b]
Rest is incredibly important in muscle building as most of it is repaired during deep sleep. I wouldn't say 'ideally', I would say 'generally' a MWF lifting schedule works for most people. Working a different set of large muscles every time. Chest/back, legs/Core and biceps/shoulders. This works well for most, but depending on your strengths/weaknesses and the intensity of your workout, switching it up may help.

Myself for example I lift MWTHSUN, and play basketball Tuesday and Sat And I never do anything on Fridays. Just relax and drink some protein to help repair the body. Because of the shape I'm in, the basketball games aren't very taxing, and I recover more than enough on these days to lift the next morning, or to spar in martial arts with a client. But other people can't lift more than twice a week. Gauge your progress, write everything down each week, and will give you a good idea of how to approach the next month. One of the most important things to do is to have an UNLOAD WEEK for every FOUR weeks of heavy exercise. This is one people thing ALWAYS forget or don't know they should do and it constricts their possible gains. After 4 weeks of lifting, running, do nothing for one week. This breaks the routine of muscle gain and allows your body to completely repair and forget your routine, avoiding the ever-ominous PLATEAU. Do some light cardio or a few pushups/sit-ups. AS long as you continue eating correctly, you shouldn't lose muscle mass. Then when you pick up again the week after that, you will see great gains. It's like starting over for your body, without losing your base. I've put on almost 25 pounds in just a couple months like this.

Again with the weights:rep ratio, generally, those are the rules. The 8-10 rep range will work on size, while 12-15 will cause tears/cuts. This works well for excercise with dumbbells. However, as your strength increases each week, so must you weight or reps. The idea is that you'll slowly gain strength to go with your size.

For Bench/squat/cleans/dead lifts, you want to follow the following formula. Find your max for each exercise and write it down.Do this by doing ONE rep at each weight and increase by 2.5- 5lbs for each lift until you fail. The heaviest weight you can do a complete rep at ONE time is considered your max. It will be ( or should be more than you normally do) For example I generally bench 255 for my reps, because my bench max is about 305lbs. Once you have your max, you want to life at the following intervals:

75%
80%
85%
of your max for 5 reps for 3 sets.

Soooo if your bench max is 100lbs. lets say, you would want to do
75 lbs. x5
80 lbs. x5
85 lbs. x5
for 4 weeks. Then on your last day before your unload, test your max again. It should have increased, even if only a lil bit. Then use that for the next four weeks.

This works wonders for size and strength, but again is just one way to do it. There are other combinations that work for people.

(who says meat heads are dumb? This sh!t is all math and science!)

I'll be posting some workouts in the next weeks that is are good bases for a beginner.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
QUOTE (suprman133 @ Mar 27 2009, 09:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=460404
QUOTE (cdmuile @ Mar 27 2009, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=460398
Can you take questions? OK, so if I run for 45 minutes in 5 degree F temp and 45 minutes in 90 degree temp on the same track, which would burn the most calories? And.... how could I have lost almost 20# in 5 days following knee surgery in January?[/b]
Questions are always welcome.

Calorie burning is actually almost independent of your environment as the human body is amazingly accurate and consistent when regulating core temperature. Assuming you were properly guarded against the 5 º weather, it should be about the same. The only time you would be consuming way more calories to regulate temperature would be if you were in an EXTREMELY cold environment. Cold enough to lower your core temp., forcing your body to cannibalize fat and muscle tissue to produce endothermic heat.

The intensity of your workout (i.e. speed you're actually running, distance, or resistance) is what will dictate the calories burned.

As for the losing 20 (lbs.) I'm assuming? Factor in a scale error of about +/- 5lbs. and then assume you can lose up to 10 lbs. in water weight very easily in a matter of days. Large amounts of shock (extreme pain, surgery, lack of food) can pull on your body to burn energy reserves to repair the damage, which takes water reserves, hence doubling the amount of water weight you could lose in that same time period. Also, certain pain killers can cause dehydration which is why medicines like Vicadin (often given after knee surgery) are often prescribed with a stool softener, since they lead to constipation because they suck water out of the digestive system.
I.V. serves mostly to hydrate you. But remember your digestive process begins each day whether you eat or not.
Also Rick, I'm not sure of what your physical markup is, but people with less extra muscle (the average joe) will normally lose weight faster after a surgery due to the fast period before and after. Your body unable to digest anything pulls from your reserves, and since muscle excess muscle is normally taken first, the next will be fat storages, and finally vital muscle, so if you're skinnier, you'll lose more of your base.
[/b][/quote]

Thanks for the information, George. I understand now.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (cdmuile @ Mar 28 2009, 05:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=460518
Thanks for the information, George. I understand now.[/b]
No problem Rick, anytime. I love talking about this stuff, and your questions help me pull old material out of the old noggin'. Which is always good since most trainers don't ever even bother to learn this stuff, let alone review it.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weeellll, I figured many more people would be interested in the weight loss information than anything else, so that's what I jumped to next.
WEIGHT LOSS
First off, let me start off with this:

DISCLAIMER: THESE ARE RECOMMENDED WEIGHT LOSS TECHNIQUES/METHODS, BACKED BY RESEARCH, PRACTICAL APPLICATION AND EXPERIENCE. THIS BY NO MEANS GUARANTEES THAT THIS WILL GAIN YOU THE SAME RESULTS AS IT DID MY CLIENTS, NOR THAT IT IS THE ABSOLUTE LAW ON WEIGHT LOSS. EVERY SINGLE HUMAN BEING HAS A UNIQUE COMBINATION OF UNIVERSAL TRAITS THAT MAY MAKE IT EASIER OR MORE DIFFICULT TO LOSE WEIGHT, HOWEVER, IT IS AN ATTAINABLE GOAL FOR EVERYONE. PLEASE CONSULT WITH A PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING ANY KIND OF WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM TO ENSURE THAT YOU ARE HEALTHY ENOUGH TO EXECUTE THE EXERCISE AND THE DIETS WITHOUT ENDANGERING YOUR HEALTH /rant

Now... Let us begin.

First, We need to discuss weight loss and the mentality we as a society have about it. There is no magical (or at the very least healthy)way to lose 50 lbs. in a month or 10 lbs. in a week. Much like muscle building, RESHAPING your body is a process that takes time. Secondly please understand that losing weight is a three part equation. MIND BODY AND DIET must all be in sync to achieve the desired results.

1. I KNOW! I'LL GET SOME HYDROXYCUT!: Ask yourself this, if a perfectly healthy person suddenly lost 20 lbs. you would be concerned, correct? It's not any different for someone overweight. There are healthy and unhealthy ways to lose/gain weight. I DO NOT BELIEVE IN "FAT BURNERS" OF ANY KIND EXCEPT IN VERY VERY FEW EXTREME CASES (over 350 lbs.) HYDROXYCUT, SLIM 6, ZANTREX, STACKER, STACKER 2 ETC. ALL THOSE THINGS ARE COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY AND SIMPLY TRICK YOUR BODY AT THE RISK OF HEART DISEASE, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND AN ENTIRE OTHER SLEW OF SIDE EFFECTS THAT HAVE BEEN DOCUMENTED. MOREOVER, BECAUSE YOU TRICKED YOUR BODY RATHER THAN RETRAINING IT, YOU BECOME DEPENDENT AND WILL GAIN THE WEIGHT BACK AS SOON AS YOU DISCONTINUE USE. NONE OF THEM ARE FDA APPROVED, AND MOST ARE JUST STACKED BOOSTS OF CAFFEINE. Don't trust testimonials or "scientific studies" from the manufacturer. You don't need this stuff.

much like a turbo for your body, you can't do this quick and cheap and expect your body to be reliable and healthy. It just doesn't work. It will cost you sacrifice, time and lots of effort.

2. DIET: When I mention this word the first time, clients wince in disgust. There is no such thing as a "diet" in the classic sense of the word. The word diet simply refers to what you are eating everyday. Every single living creature on the planet is on a 'diet'. Dieting DOES NOT mean eating an onslaught of bland foods, vegetables, and portions made for children.

It DOES mean regulating your portions, cutting junk food, counting caloric intake, and increasing the % of your food that is being used efficiently. My "diet" consists of amazing foods that almost no one would mind eating.

3. HOW DO I LOSE WEIGHT?: First off, you must find your basic caloric intake (BCI), and cut roughly 500 calories from it. This equals 1-2.5 pounds of weight loss per week depending on your body's natural genetic tendencies. This has been agreed as the healthiest most efficient way of losing weight without excessive "flab" left over, or excessive fatigue on the body. There are many online calculators available to find your BCI but I like this one best, since it seems to be the most accurate to a dietitian's scale, and accounts for weekly activities as well.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm#

Secondly, you want to vary you caloric intake by day to keep your weight loss from becoming stagnant. This is the problem with most "diets" out there. They are repeated routines and you eat the same things at the same time everyday. Your body quickly becomes wise to this and will optimize weight retention based on each food's nutritional value.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE based on a roughly 3100 daily caloric intake

Ex Fat Loss Fat Loss Maintain weight
Monday 1996 2661 3326
Tuesday 1597 2129 2661
Wednesday 2395 3193 3991
Thursday 1996 2661 3326
Friday 1796 2395 2994
Saturday 2195 2927 3659
Sunday 1996 2661 3326

*Calorie cycling provides same amount of calories per week, but 'tricks' your body by constantly changing daily calories. This helps to prevent or break plateaus. Guideline only.

You DO NOT want to cut more than 500 calories from your daily maintenance level to start with, because you can trigger a starvation mode in your body, which will then slow your metabolism to burn less energy, and actually try to begin retaining weight to save itself. This is why people who skip meals to slim down regularly complain about not losing weight. Their bodies kick into survival mode and counteract their attempts to starve themselves. You CAN, very SLOWLY INCREASE the amount of calories taken out if 500 is not yielding results, or increase your workout intensity. DO NOT EXCEED a 1000 calorie cut or continue to cut calories if you seen signs of fatigue, sickness, or restlessness. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.

CARB BASED/ ATKINS STYLE DIETS: Secondly, don't worry so much about what kinds of calories you are in-taking. Avoid high cholesterol foods and forget the rest. Carbs myths, fatty acids, omegas etc. are all convenient ways to avoid tackling the issue at hand. There is only one main way people gain weight, when they intake more calories than they are burning off. Simple as that, and I'd like to drop kick trainers/dieticians that teach people otherwise. What how much of you eat and when. Eat often to boost your metabolism and eat healthy. You should be fine.

Picking 'healthy' foods is common sense, avoid things high in sugar, and avoid saturated fats in fast food. (Mc Donald's, etc) A basic rule of thumb is, "if you have to think about whether its healthy or not, it probably isn't". Use common sense. Sushi, steak, Chicken, fish, fruits, vegetables, rice, whole grain breads, oatmeal, eggs, ham, turkey, all these things are normal parts of a diet that are perfectly fine to eat.

4. GAIN MUSCLE TO BURN FAT?: Yes and no. This is the biggest myth in exercise. You CANNOT do both of these at the same time. They are exact metabolic opposites of each other. Muscles need HIGH caloric intake to grow. Losing weight requires low caloric intake. When you cut caloric intake, you sacrifice some muscle mass in doing so in order to also burn fat. To do this, the two must be done in separate stages. This is why professional body builders go through a BULKING stage, where they gain as much muscle as their frame will allow, then enter a CUTTING stage after, in order to lower body fat % and get the definition they need. When losing weight, developing UNDERDEVELOPED muscles will help raise the amount of calories you're burning which will help increase weight loss. Please understand that you are not getting buffer, but shedding fat, which in turn, makes you look bigger as far as muscles go.

5. EXERCISE: This is again, a given, but many people forget to/say they don't have time. If it's important to you, you'll make time. And I'm sick and tired of people ducking this all-important part of the equation. Can you lose weight without working out? Definitely. Will it be extremely slow, difficult, and far from ideal? You bet your ass. I know you have a job/school/sick uncle, whatever. get up half an hour earlier.

But "I'm tired, need more sleep, out of shape" Well Boof*ckinghoo. I work two jobs fulltime, go to school, go to bed at midnight after doing homework and get up a 5 A.M. to lift. What's your excuse?

Start with just a half hour walk if you have to, but start. Developing the habit is what's important. You can increase workout intensity as you go along. On the flipside of this, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start with an exercise regiment appropriate for your individual fitness level. Don't start your first week running a mile if you can't jog half of one. And don't try to bench 200 lbs. if you can't curl 40. The important thing is getting your heart pumping and burning extra calories that you normally wouldn't.

6. STAY HYDRATED: At least 48 ounces per day (most people will not process 64 ounces which is the popular recommendation, just runs right through them) Drink lots of water, and as your muscle increases and fat decreases, you fitness level will make your body ask you for more water. Work your way up to 64 ounces and beyond. This helps you lose weight( fat cells break down and partially escape through our urine when we go to the bathroom, this is how drug tests work, becuase drugs become stored in your fat cells, then re-released when you digest and go to the bathroom). Water also flushes toxins out of your body.

7. BE CONSISTENT AND WORK HARD!:
This one speaks for itself. Do what you do, do it right, do it consistently. Be motivated, and when you're not, look for motivation. Work hard, often people don't push themselves hard enough or long enough. Either work out lighter for longer or shorter and super hard. But don't work out lightly for 20 minutes. You're not helping the supplements do they're jobs. Don't cheat, and keep positive. Earn respect from your body, and it will respond accordingly. Don't cheat in your dieting. Eat healthy, eat right, eat often.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
I was doing some polymetric jumping on a 36inch platform and really messed myself up. I was doing fine and then one of the times I looked away as I was bringing my feet up and didn't look where I was landing. My toes slipped off the edge and I came down on my shins right on the edge and dragged as I went down. I have two gashes on each shin, the one of my left leg is longer but the one on my right leg is deeper. I've had it wrapped but its still bleeding, has been for 7 hours.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^^oouch... Looks rough ryan. If it's still bleeding, run out and get some epsom salts. They heal cuts and cauterize wounds. A soak in that with some warm water should help them stop bleeding and heal up much faster. It will also help suppress any bruising that will most likely occur.

EDIT: Also, plyometric jumping is great, but people have watered down it's purpose. A single high jump is good, but almost useless with that much load time between jumps. You'd be much better with a lower height and repetitive, explosive jumps over a longer interval, or sequential jumps at increasing heights.

1 - 20 of 506 Posts