Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have finally found out what is wrong with my spoiler, no thanks to my dealer in lodi, ca. they kept saying that they had no idea why it wasn't fitting right and after installing a second new spoiler they gave up, took pictures, and said that they sent the pictures to toyota/scion so that they could look at the problem and advise from there. in the meantime, i am stuck with a messed up spoiler. i am more than dissatisfied with this dealer's service department, so i decided to visit moriarty (Mikael) (i apologize if i spelled it wrong) at maita scion and asked him if he could look at my spoiler and see if he could tell what was wrong. after looking at it for about a minute he told me that most likely the dealer drilled one or more of the holes wrong and that is why the spoiler is not fitting correctly on the car. now how hard was that?!?! thanks so much moriarty
then he gave me some good advice of what to do next. he said ask the dealer for a new hatch and a refund for the spoiler. i did just that yesterday but it looks as if this might be a hard fight because they are so incooperative. needless to say though, i will get what i want and that is that. i am also cancelling my order of the cold air intake from them because that dealer is never going to touch my car ever again. i don't trust them to even change my oil. once that crap dealer has installed the new hatch on the car i am going to go to maita scion and have them check that the hatch is installed right and everything is working, and then i will have them install the spoiler. i will order the intake from them too and have them install it when it comes out. what a mess. i am so mad.
they were giving me a song and dance but thanks to moriarty's help, this will get resolved.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Ah man... that totally sucked!! They better replace your hatch ... ASAP. I'd make sure you document everything... then send the nasty letter to scion headquarters letting them know of their incompetence. I hate it when ppl try to take advantage of other ppl like this cause they think you don't know crap. LOL... its funny how they blamed the spoiler when they f*cked up.

Anyways... I guess you're gonna be in good hands over at Miata Scion.

·
Registered
936 Posts
i say you make every possible reference to how bad their service is, on every possible scion messageboard on the internet. Make flyers and put them on windshields near the dealership that say how much they suck........eventually you will get your refund. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. - t

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Call Scion corporate. If you don't get any satisfaction, call a lawyer. Know anyone in the family who's a lawyer who could send a nasty letter?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by basilisk4@Sep 21 2004, 01:48 PM
Call Scion corporate. If you don't get any satisfaction, call a lawyer. Know anyone in the family who's a lawyer who could send a nasty letter?
unfortunately no lawyer in the family. but i will find one if necessary and threaten to bring them to court if they don't cooperate. hopefully it won't get to that point. where can i find the number for scion corporate?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Sep 21 2004, 12:16 PM
i say you make every possible reference to how bad their service is, on every possible scion messageboard on the internet. Make flyers and put them on windshields near the dealership that say how much they suck........eventually you will get your refund. Squeeky wheel gets the grease. - t
Thats what I would do. Ruin their reputation. They're learn. Thats absolutely crazy that a scion dealership can't install a factory option. Man... what is the world coming to?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Sep 21 2004, 12:16 PM
Uh, I hate to say this, but you can be sued. Would they win? Maybe not. Would you feel better? Maybe, but then again, maybe not after footing a legal bill.

Hey, I am not a lawyer and don't pretend to be one. But I have read about people getting sued for what they post on the 'net.

Best keep it simple and factual. The less than can be contended with and the less that can be shown to be misleading, the better off you are.

Sorry for your problems. I hope you can get it straghtened out!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Originally posted by Plissken@Sep 21 2004, 03:50 PM
Instructions...

^--- Maybe your dealer could use this...
...and highlight the correct use of the install kit/mylar template. I bet they tried to do it w/o even using the template! Eyeballed and marked the hole too far back and that's why it wont seat right no matter how many spoilers they try to put on it. Technically, they could repair and redrill the hole, but you prolly want a little more satisfaction than that. Plus, who wants a weld job on their brand new car, even if you can't see it after the spoiler is CORRECTLY installed. Good luck with it all. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Alpman@Sep 21 2004, 08:56 PM
I bet they tried to do it w/o even using the template! Eyeballed and marked the hole too far back and that's why it wont seat right no matter how many spoilers they try to put on it. Technically, they could repair and redrill the hole, but you prolly want a little more satisfaction than that. Plus, who wants a weld job on their brand new car, even if you can't see it after the spoiler is CORRECTLY installed. Good luck with it all. Let us know how it goes.
i paid them a visit this afternoon after starting this thread and that's exactly what i said to them, and they didn't want to listen. they refuse to give me a new hatch and refund my money for the spoiler. the manager of the entire Geweke Auto Group in Lodi, CA wants to fill in the holes and redrill. i said that that is unacceptable on a car that is brand new. built in july and i owned it in august. then the boss of this guy said that it was just stuck down wrong and he would assure me that no filling holes and redrilling would occur and to trust him. two different stories. someone is lying and i don't trust either guy. the dealer's only offer is to retry installation at the "Geweke body shop". yeah right, like i am going to let that happen. the place sounds shady to me. i then paid Mickael a visit at Maita and he took another look at the spoiler and we talked a bit. he said that from what he could tell and how the spoilers are put on that the drilling might not be off afterall and if it is, it is only a bit. the hole or holes can be extended a bit to create leeway to fit a new spoiler in correctly. then the tape would hold it in place. i saw what he was saying and it might not be as bad as i thought, but still this Geweke place messed up, and messed up twice in the same way! Mickael suggested that i just ask Geweke Scion to order a new spoiler and then go there to pick it up and leave. then either do the new spoiler myself or go to Maita and have them rip off the messed up one that i have on now and put on the new one. if any hole extending needs to be done or whatever, i trust Maita to do it. i will have to pay installation to Maita, but at least this will be over and done professionally.

by the way, Geweke told me that they didn't have to do anything at all because the spoiler is only off by like 1/16" to 1/18" which is what they call "commercially acceptable". they claim that they are being really nice and are doing me a favor by agreeing to try reinstallation at their body shop. i threatened them with court and they said i would lose because of that. it sounds like a tiny bit and it is, but with this spoiler apparently a tiny bit makes a noticable difference. either way it is not installed right.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
sorry to hear, unfortunately the scion/toyota dealership here in gainesville, fl (service) sucks also. I'm never going back there again...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by GA tC+Sep 21 2004, 09:24 PM-->QUOTE (GA tC @ Sep 21 2004, 09:24 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
@Sep 21 2004, 12:16 PM
Uh, I hate to say this, but you can be sued. Would they win? Maybe not. Would you feel better? Maybe, but then again, maybe not after footing a legal bill.

Hey, I am not a lawyer and don't pretend to be one. But I have read about people getting sued for what they post on the 'net.

Best keep it simple and factual. The less than can be contended with and the less that can be shown to be misleading, the better off you are.

Sorry for your problems. I hope you can get it straghtened out! [/b]
sued for what??? freedom of speech baby!!!!!!! - t

·
Registered
372 Posts
sued for what??? freedom of speech baby!!!!!!! - t [/quote]
Some of us have been working for too many years. When that happens, we occasionally get bored and do some reading. Since I am a techie, I read techie [email protected] unfortunately.

The discussion I provided above was penned in a daily fish wrapper and another is some mag. We all have an idea of what freedom of speech is, unfortunately, a lawyer can construe it to be several things like harassment, preventing commerce, etc. ad nauseum.

I had no intention of squelching anyone's efforts, just hoping that they do it in a way that is accomplishes what they want w/o bringing the wrath of the ambulance chaser on them.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Ok, sorry, but I have to vent. "Freedom of speech," and "it's a free country," are two of the most overused and MISused bits of legal jargon. "Freedom of speech" has to do with you and the government, not you and some other private person. Ruining someone's reputation with lies and half-truths is not a way that a lawyer can contrue something, but rather something very serious. There's a fine line between mouthing off and exaggerating (and spreading lies). This is not a matter of the government oppressing you -- it's a matter of another person (or company) protecting its own name.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Coming back from the political discussion....

It is in their best interest to tell you that it's "Commerically Acceptable" and that you would lose. However, what would happen if one of the tranny gears were off by 1/8", or the valve gaps were 1/8"? I wouldn't let them decide for me what is commercially acceptable, if there really is such a term. This is the DEALERSHIP we're talking about. They represent Scion and are not doing a good job. If they can figure out how to finance a car to the penny, surely they can figure out how to tape a template and drill a hole in the right place. For f*cks sake man, this is as simple as coloring within the lines. It is the dealerships responsibility to do the installation and provide a warranty on that installation. I can guarantee you that if a body panel was off by 1/8" at the factory, they would have redone it, 1/8" is not commercially acceptable in my opinion, maybe 1/64". Why can't some screwdriver jockey put a hole in the right place. There's no reason for the install to have gone bad if 1) they followed the procedure correctly 2) used the correct tools 3) were trained in the proper use of those tools 4) did the proper inspection at the end of the install. If they failed on any of those 4 points, it is clearly their fault.

They just don't want to have to pay for their mistake so they're telling you that its on your shoulders. I'd make them refund the entire thing, take the part back, and give me another hatch without the spoiler. Then take my business elsewhere. Depending on how much of my PERSONAL time they wasted, I might even send them an invoice.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quick,
What ever happened on this subject. Did the dealer take care of it or what??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts