Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

That is how I currently have my speakers setup. I felt like testing them out before I install them.

Using RCA to Computer Audio Jack Converter
Using Battery Charger for 12v battery line, ground, and remote
Using ####ty wire (non speaker wire) to connect subs to amp
Using WINAMP to play songs
No boxes

Everything is working, but the subs are not really hitting hard at all. They sound kind of distorted when I turn the amp up a bit.

Will the sound quality improve when I hook them up to a headunit, use the actual battery, use good speaker wire, and build sealed boxes to spec?

Amp: Profile California 800w (Peak 400wx2-4ohms, RMS 200wx2-4ohms, RMS300wx2-2ohms, RMS 600wx1Bridged )

Subs: 10 inch Profile California (200w RMS and 500w peak)

What would be the best way to wire these subs up to the amp? What is the difference between 4 ohms and 2 ohms?

Here is how they are currently wired.

Sorry for having so many questions. Any help would be GREAT!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Problem A: the subs are just sitting out in the open. This tends to make them sound awful.

Problem B: you're using an extremely dirty power source, which is only good for about 10A of continuous power. Your amp would like 4-8x that amount.

Problem C: you're getting source off of a computer output that is already pre-amped. A great way to introduce yet more noise.

Solutions? If you'd like to get a better idea, at least hook the amp up to a car battery, so it can get some current moving. Hell, if you held the subs over a toilet, they'd sound better.

No comment on Profile equipment. If one does not have something nice to say...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
yeah um would definitely not do it that way for sure, so what if you have to hook it all up in your car to test it out, I have re-done my system almost 4 times in the past 2 months yes its hard work but I love hard work and the tearing apart my car gives me experience, testing it outside the box can actually lead to all your new equipments descruction

and yes everything will sound 20X better when you acutally put it in the car, it won't be loud but it will sound better

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
^^^i second that!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Well since one hinted, but no one is saying anything I might as well do it. The amp you are running is OK, but the subs are worthless, there is a reason you can buy them online 5/$10 You might as well just throw them away and buy something a little better. You are doing nothing but wasting your time trying to make those subs sound good, they just won't. You would be better off getting a single 4 ohm subwoofer that can handle 400rms or so and running it off the amp bridged.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Sep 5 2005, 10:25 AM
Well since one hinted, but no one is saying anything I might as well do it. The amp you are running is OK, but the subs are worthless, there is a reason you can buy them online 5/$10 You might as well just throw them away and buy something a little better. You are doing nothing but wasting your time trying to make those subs sound good, they just won't. You would be better off getting a single 4 ohm subwoofer that can handle 400rms or so and running it off the amp bridged.
^thank you...lol i couldn't find a nice way to put it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.