Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 tc with a manual transmission and i sort of hate it. I have around 9,000 miles on it and i feel like its my first day driving stick almost every time i drive my car. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is never smooth and i feel like a beginner every time i shift from 1st to 2nd. (other gears obviously get smoother the higher up i go)

Is it just my car that has this problem or is anyone else unable to shift smoothly without releasing the clutch very slowly? I shift at around 2700 rpm - 3000 rpm; could that be the problem? When do most of you shift if you are just driving around the city?

Anyway... before i start getting comments about me being a terrible driver, my first car was a manual civic and i drove that for 6 yrs. I also used to work for a valet company and have driven almost every type of car with manual transmission and have never encountered a worse transition from 1st to 2nd during my time working there.

Any ideas or thoughts are much appreciated.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,513 Posts
clutch is fine, I have no issues shifting it.

The tC has relatively short gears, so you may just be having trouble getting used to shifting it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's just how the thing is built really. Coming from an SI myself I'll say that the shift smoothness, clutch engagement speed and build quality are nowhere near a Honda manual transmission on even their most basic of cars. The feel of the thing is similar to Mazda and Mitsubishi transmissions in my experience, with the shifter being less ropy and imprecise in Toyotas.

Not bad but not great, it just takes some time to get used to. 1st to 2nd was rough for me when I was just learning the car but you get it down after some miles.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Yeah, what he said. And I would still swap out for the Redline.

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (Mr. Deep @ Feb 16 2009, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=453538
QUOTE (iGod @ Feb 16 2009, 12:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=453478
Yeah, what he said. And I would still swap out for the Redline.[/b]
does it really make that huge of a difference?
[/b][/quote]

MY saturn always shifted fine, but i too feel like the only way to not have the car "lurch" when shifting 1st to 2nd is to shift really slow.... SO i've just grown used to a slight lurch....

Other's notice, but i drive several other manuals that i can shift flawlessly in all gears.... im not really sure why my scion sucks 1st to 2nd, but i get used to it.

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
I noticed that if I remember to shift aroudn 3.5-4 it seems to shift better.

Planning on trading out my tranny fluid aswell

·
Ironhead
12,859 Posts
it shifts like buttttaaaaa[/b]
Hell yes it does. Cold shifting at start up is incredibly improved. I don't run their motor oil because for my application the German Formula 0W-30 Castrol Synthetic is far superior than any other oil I have used, but I have never used a tranny oil that is better than MT-90.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Had the same problem at first. Definetly switch to synthetic GEAR OIL like Royal Purple or Redline after your 5000th mile. Find the sweet spot when u push in the clutch a little over half way, then shift over 3500 rpms. 1st to 2nd couldn't be smoother.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The clutch does seem really stiff, but I'm just now getting to almost 3,000 miles so I always thought that was the reason why..but lately when shifting up to 3rd it acts like it jams and doesn't wanna slide in gear..I hate it. And yeah, it definitely doesn't shift like a Honda does, I rode in an accord last night and the gears glided smoothly in. I wish mine would do that!!

·
Resident Swagologist
4,922 Posts
QUOTE (sciion09 @ Feb 24 2009, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=455002
The clutch does seem really stiff, but I'm just now getting to almost 3,000 miles so I always thought that was the reason why..but lately when shifting up to 3rd it acts like it jams and doesn't wanna slide in gear..I hate it. And yeah, it definitely doesn't shift like a Honda does, I rode in an accord last night and the gears glided smoothly in. I wish mine would do that!![/b]
if it jams, that means you're not pushing the clutch in enough

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found that most of my problems with lurching were due to 3 things...
  1. the engine mounts - swapped out the front for one of the speed-source mounts, and wheep hop and most parking-lot lurching went away[/*]
  2. the flywheel - just got it and the clutch swapped out. the wheel is now 12lb and yielded smoother throttle response. the car is also less torquey off the line[/*]
  3. the clutch engagement point - OEM clutch engaged at least an inch off the floor and never felt like it was consistently in the same place... made it difficult for me to judge when and how much power to apply. the new stage 2 is stiffer, but due to that and its' engaging very close to the floor is much easier to coordinate with the throttle[/*]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have this problem. Whenever I start off and go to 2nd gear, its really jerky then when I go to 4th and 5th its fine.

Im going to try to change the transmission oil and see how it goes.
I hope your right Igod =]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts