Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed their temperature gauge above halfway mark? I noticed that a couple weeks ago, but not sure if I should take it in to get it checked. I'm not even sure if the markers are accurate. it seems like the markers aren't evenly divided. therefore, I'm not even sure if that's a halfway mark.

should I get my car checked? or is this normal?

·
Registered
425 Posts
take a picture if you can. i think its usually slightly below halfway. just make sure to keep an eye on it, if it starts rising at any point, crank your heat up and turn your fan all the way on. on older cars that has helped i dont know if it would benefit you or not.

could be air stuck in the coolant system or not enough coolant, leak, etc...

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
mine hovers around the slightly over what one would think was the half way point as well. havent seen it increase above that, it just seems to be happy to operate there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mine's is @ the same level as in the manual on page 90 . . . just a little bit above the 2nd hash mark from the bottom.

I take it, this is normal hence its in the manual yeah?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mine sits exactly on the half way mark when warm. I've never seen it hover below or over that line when I'm driving.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Mine also sits just below the half-way point.

Something important: OEM gauges are not intended to be accurate gauges, they are intended to give the owner a "normal" indication under acceptable operating conditions. This means they are pretty insensitive and don't show anything that might upset the average customer, unless it is REALLY serious. Supra owners have complained about this for years.

The truth is, the gauge is only there as a replacement for an idiot light, it really isn't the same as a good aftermarket gauge intended to tell you small differences in operation. Just food for thought.

And, to address the issue in this thread, I would take the car to the dealer, have them tell you it's normal, and insist they include this in the car's service record so if something does occur later on, you'll have a date showing you took the car in for service and they didn't do anything pro-active at that time. It can make getting a new engine a LOT easier if there is a real problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
[/QUOTE]Something important: OEM gauges are not intended to be accurate gauges, they are intended to give the owner a "normal" indication under acceptable operating conditions.

The truth is, the gauge is only there as a replacement for an idiot light, it really isn't the same as a good aftermarket gauge intended to tell you small differences in operation. Just food for thought.
I have a hard time agreeing. Sometimes OEM are the best for the vechicle. I don't think a gauge is just a replcemant for a idiot light or just to make somehting look more appealing. The temp gauge regardless are not complex and give accurate information. Still if you drive under "normal conditions" the climate outside also is a factor if your car is running cool or warm or other variables in perfromance. I think the only time a after market gauge is better than OEM is when you are modifying your vechicle and have modified componets on. that is my two cents. Oh yeah my gauge is a little under half way.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Its unfortunate you wish to disagree. My input is based on the experience of about 80 Supra owners. Everyone who installed an aftermarket gauge discovered their stock gauge indicated exactly the same for a 40 degree temperature fluctuation. The OEM gauge didn't even move until the temperature was significantly outside normal operating parameters, and damage was imminent.

IMHO, it's nothing more than eye candy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
not saying I disagree, for supras you are dealing with a true sports car. I have gone through my fair share of old school rods and trucks. My reasoning is based off my experience as well. True, most after market are just eye candy but every car has some type of flaw and there is always room for improvement. To best put it.... IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know that 50%-60% of engines that are smaller than 3.4 liters no matter if its a 24 valve (V-6) or 16 valve (I-4) tend to heat up over half of the temperature guage. It is nothing to worry about. Just be sure to your manifold gaskets for any leaks. If there are no leaks you are in the clear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.