Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I want to put 19s on my car, preferably 19 X 8s. I wanted to know from people out there that have their car lowered if the TRDs are enough with 19s or could I put the Tein S Techs on. I was curious because I don't want them to rub, but I want the wheel gap to be really small.

Thanks to all who contribute to my decision.

Matt

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by basilisk4@Mar 15 2005, 05:09 PM
My insignificant conclusion: TRD = warranty. Tein = no suspension warranty.
Yeah this is true but all in all I want to have the smallest wheel gap possible without getting coilovers

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
What are coilovers?

What do you mean rub? Springs have nothing to do with rubbing, and springs can't fix a rubbing problem.

What are the issues you want to avoid?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I want to put 19 X 7.5s on and I have low profile tires but the problem I want to avoid but its really not a problem, but I want as low as wheel gap as possible and still be able to turn and stuff even though I will be lowered 2 inches aprox

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Turning will be the least of your issues. You won't interfere with the car's ability to turn with 19 x 7.5s. Those are not significantly wider than stock, so the likelihood of problems is TINY. I have 17 x 8.5s with 245s on them and I have no issues. If anyone were going to have issues, it would be me or fluxtC with 9" rims in the rear. We are not having issues, so I seriously doubt anything as narrow as 7.5 will have a problem.

HOWEVER, you will need to adjust your driving style to avoid bumps and holes or you will be spending a lot of money at the wheel shop either buying new wheels or getting your wheels straightened.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Mar 15 2005, 05:32 PM
Turning will be the least of your issues. You won't interfere with the car's ability to turn with 19 x 7.5s. Those are not significantly wider than stock, so the likelihood of problems is TINY. I have 17 x 8.5s with 245s on them and I have no issues. If anyone were going to have issues, it would be me or fluxtC with 9" rims in the rear. We are not having issues, so I seriously doubt anything as narrow as 7.5 will have a problem.

HOWEVER, you will need to adjust your driving style to avoid bumps and holes or you will be spending a lot of money at the wheel shop either buying new wheels or getting your wheels straightened.
sounds good I dodge pot holes anyway so thanks for all the information looks like I am going to be selling my springs afterall.

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i just put the trd ones in about 3 weeks ago. they're awesome. the ride isn't that much worse and since the springs settled, they look amazing. def worth it. i don't know what the ride on the teins is like, but there's no way they can be better than the trds. also, how much lower do you really need to go?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
How would that be? The rolling diameter of the wheel is nearly identical to stock, what does the wheel's diameter have to do with ride height or rubbing?

·
Registered
142 Posts
my bad, he's right. i just wanted to state that it would be too low for my taste. but nix the rubbing.

but you dont think with a 2.4 inch drop in the front plus 19 inch wheels would be somewhat close? i was measuring out where my wells will fall when i install the teins, and it looks like theres not much room left with my 17's. i just figured going any larger might create a problem. but then again, im a newbie, and youre not.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
There is so much room in the tC's wheel wells, it's really amazing. I stuffed a 245 under there with so much room to spare I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Something a bit taller might have an issue, but if you're talking 225/30/19 as I suspect you are, you would be hard pressed to get it to hit anywhere. It's easy to see how 5 Axis got 10" rims on the car with just some relatively small fender flares. There's LOTS of room...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Coil overs are ride height adjustable, remember it will change a few things, alignment may be affected so you cannot just change it any time you wish, unless you do your own alignments like we do;)

TRD sells a nice coilover, well made, the basic Tein is good as well, less money. If you really want a great set get the Tein SS as have 16 way adjustable shocks, can be incredibly nice riding and then dang hot race settins with a twist of a knob, I know from experience.

I was talking to a Tein engineer today, asking if some Matrix ones can be fitted as have a used set available. They said no, so I will try anyway, lol, fortunately I have the tools to make alot of none standard things work out. The cars are similar in weight and so they valving will be fine and as above, shocks are adjustable. Spring rates are easy to change as well, I would go up a bit in the rear.

I have owned may aftermarket shocks and a few coilovers, The Teins were the best, by far.

Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by raamaudio@Mar 21 2005, 06:31 PM
Coil overs are ride height adjustable, remember it will change a few things, alignment may be affected so you cannot just change it any time you wish, unless you do your own alignments like we do;)

TRD sells a nice coilover, well made, the basic Tein is good as well, less money. If you really want a great set get the Tein SS as have 16 way adjustable shocks, can be incredibly nice riding and then dang hot race settins with a twist of a knob, I know from experience.

I was talking to a Tein engineer today, asking if some Matrix ones can be fitted as have a used set available. They said no, so I will try anyway, lol, fortunately I have the tools to make alot of none standard things work out. The cars are similar in weight and so they valving will be fine and as above, shocks are adjustable. Spring rates are easy to change as well, I would go up a bit in the rear.

I have owned may aftermarket shocks and a few coilovers, The Teins were the best, by far.

Rick
TRD sells a nice coilover, well made[/b]
Since when does TRD make coilovers for the tC?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.