Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I don't want to pay $650 to get the TRD springs installed, so I've been looking at other options.

Tein has these springs ( http://www.autocarparts.com/part/1231/58 ) for $190 shipped that give a 1.9" drop in the front and 1.5" in the back... Is this going to be too much for the stock shocks to handle? I'm well aware they'll wear out much quicker than they would with stock springs, but when that happens I'll replace them with something better suited to the lower ride.

Over at Scion Life there is a thread ( http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic....der=asc&start=0 ) where the guy has 1.8" front and back with 18" wheels and claims to be using the stock shocks without any problem.... He didn't mention any rubbing, and it doesn't look like that will be a problem especially since I'll have the stock 17".

Any comments?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
TRD springs are what - $160? You can still go with them if you are scared it would be too low - it does not mean that you have to pay the dealer to install them. Plus you can *say* that the dealer installed them, and have a chance of getting covered under warranty if something happens to your shocks somewhere down the line.

Teins are a decent brand and 1.9/1.5 is not too low. I wouldn't do that, but there are a lot of people out there that will not go any less than 2"...

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've seen lots of pics of the TRD springs and they don't look that much different than stock. I want something that drops more than 1.25", but not more than 2"

I also want something that's lower in the front than the back so that it makes the gap even.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The TRD springs look WAY different from stock.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Definately need more drop in the front then in the back I have 18s and TRD springs and the back looks tight (slightly tucked), but there is still a small gap in the front
So after taking the front suspension apart a couple times and putting it back together to see the difference I cut a total of half a coile out of the front, going to see if it settles anymore and may go another 1/4 of a coil, ride is the same and no rubbing
I will buy another set of springs once they r readily available but for now i got the home made 1.75F/1.25 R drop

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I measured the stock gap the other day..

Front - 3.25"
Rear - 2.75"

The 0.5" difference is pretty noticable, IMO. Maybe that's why the Tein springs are 0.5" lower in the front than the back, and why yours looks better 0.5" lower in the front

·
Registered
290 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55@Oct 18 2004, 09:16 PM
I measured the stock gap the other day..

Front - 3.25"
Rear - 2.75"

The 0.5" difference is pretty noticable, IMO. Maybe that's why the Tein springs are 0.5" lower in the front than the back, and why yours looks better 0.5" lower in the front
Thats a big 10-4 good buddy!!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
im contemplating on installing my springs on tommorow, ive done my own spring jobs on all my other cars, so this should be a breeze, especially since the rear on the tc has small coils, my nx had the struts attached to the sway bar in the back, what a pain in the ass to do, soooo should i cut say 3/4 to a full coil on the front trd springs to get the good drop??

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
You can rent a spring compressor from autozone... advanced auto parts here will let you check it out for free w/ a $100 deposit. Deposit is of course returned when you bring it back.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
IMHO, those compressors are super dangerous. if you decide to try that route, keep people clear of you and dont put yourself in line with the strut. i have had friends shoot struts apart and take out fenders, a hood, and one strut actually lodged in the door of a car parked in the garage next to where they were working. careful. wolo can certainly back that up, he was there when we had to resort to that as a last option. no fun at all.
-inevitablegod

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
dammit, moriarty.

sharing a work computer, sorry for the confusion. still logged in as moriarty and i am too blind to see until after the post. the above post was actually from me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts