Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What Make/Model do your guys think is the true rival of the Scion tC. for example when i was driving my old prelude, diving into the history of the Honda Prelude you find that its Rival car was actually a Porsche 944 and the reason being is cuz in 85 the porsche was deemed No.1 when it came to AutoX but at a VERY close second actually came the 85 Honda Prelude. it seemed the prelude stayed close in terms of AutoX times with the 944. therefore there had actually been an ongoing rivalry on AutoX tracks for the last 20 years. i went to one Rivalry Porsche/Lude Shootout too. it was very fun. and Ludes can STILL beat some porsches in the twisties.

So...i pose to you guys. what do u bleve the true rival is to the tC being that it doesnt have a serious history. i know civics CANT be it. and i'm not spefically saying in AutoX. just specify the car, race type, and your reason for ur belief.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I'd like to see a tC team in the SCCA SPEED World Challenge or something similar. The RealTime Acura team owns that joint though... I doubt the tC could stand up to them. They run 2 or 3 RSX's and at least 1 TSX.

The only racing tC I've seen is the one (or several, rather) for that Celebrity challenge thing, or whatever... I'm not sure if that's even taken place yet. Well, there's a couple of tC drag cars out there, I think... but I'm not really into that stuff.

I'd say the Acura RSX, Honda Civic, and Chevy Cobalt are the closest competitors as far as sales are concerned... just my guesstimate though.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
as far as on the market, the tC's closest competitor is the acura rsx, and the type s is about as close to a supercharged tc as you can get.
the idea was to unseat the civic with the tC, but at one point in the not too distant past, honda was starting to consider removing the rsx from acura's line because they were actually losing business to scion. it is hard to compete with us because i can add leather real quick to a s/c tC, still be under the type s price tag, have more power, more interior room, lower insurance payments, etc...

but yeah, in the open market, i consider the RSX to be my nemesis.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
I'd say Ion redline and Colbalt SS are closest rivals to the Supercharged tC.
to a NA sc, maybe..tiburon GTv6? or.. integ...ah no. don't reallyk now. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jan 20 2006, 12:32 PM
The base Civic isn't a realistic competitor to the tC.
Not performance-wise... but the Civic Coupe starts at 2 grand less than the tC with a 1.8l 140-hp engine... plus it's got the 2-tier super duper dash with a purple glow digital speedometer!!!!1one1

I'd say it's definitely a competitor in that sense. But if you want A/C and a comparable stereo and other similar, it's going to put it in the same price range as the tC, if not higher. I won't get into a stat-battle though, cause I know I'd lose.

I think people would still buy Civics over the tC just because people love Civics for some reason. It's not like the only riced up Civics you see out there are the Si's.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by neo-truth+Jan 20 2006, 12:49 PM-->QUOTE (neo-truth @ Jan 20 2006, 12:49 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-basilisk4
@Jan 20 2006, 12:32 PM
The base Civic isn't a realistic competitor to the tC.
Not performance-wise... but the Civic Coupe starts at 2 grand less than the tC with a 1.8l 140-hp engine... plus it's got the 2-tier super duper dash with a purple glow digital speedometer!!!!1one1

I'd say it's definitely a competitor in that sense. But if you want A/C and a comparable stereo and other similar, it's going to put it in the same price range as the tC, if not higher. I won't get into a stat-battle though, cause I know I'd lose.

I think people would still buy Civics over the tC just because people love Civics for some reason. It's not like the only riced up Civics you see out there are the Si's. [/b]
I didn't mean in terms of price; I just don't see how they are comparable cars, any more than the tC is comparable to a Corolla. The tC and Civic are different types of cars for different purposes and are built with different philosophies. I understand that lots of people buy Civics to make them "fast," but it's still difficult for me to see the two as true compentitors.

I agree with d that the RSX is the tC's natural rival. That's what I thought when I was first looking at the tC.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
I'd have to say the Integra GSR would be our closest competitor, and if you add the additional supporting mods I think we _MAY_ be able to give an ITR a run for its money. I have a friend that has an ITR in the local car club, so I'll see if I can have a go against him at our next track time (we usually go to Talladega).

But I'd have to say, for a stock tC.... Integra GSR would be our nemesis. I think we may even be able to compete w/ a later generation 'lude w/ the supercharger. But most definately GSR.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I didn't mean in terms of price; I just don't see how they are comparable cars, any more than the tC is comparable to a Corolla. The tC and Civic are different types of cars for different purposes and are built with different philosophies. I understand that lots of people buy Civics to make them "fast," but it's still difficult for me to see the two as true compentitors.[/b]
True enough... I definitely considered an RSX before buying the tC. It wasn't much of a battle though, considering the price comparison.

Rival or not, I've still got a soft spot for the RSX, though oddly enough I was never a huge fan of the Integra... something about the headlights was just wrong to me.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I didn't have to spend much time considering the RSX, since my fiancee has one. I wasn't going to get the exact same car that she had.
Even so, as I've been able to compare the two since she got hers, I greatly prefer my tC to her RSX. The acceleration is comparable, but the tC has a nicer ride and seems to handle better. I also really don't like the red lights in the interior, but that's a personal thing.

All in all, though, the RSX is still a good competitor to the tC, although it does cost a bit more.

Obike, how can you compare a car that they haven't made in years?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Because the original question wasn't do these cars compete in the marketplace (and everyone seemed to jump on that bandwagon), but what cars are legitimate competitors to the tC at the races. Like drag racing, autocross, road racing.

This doesn't mean they have to be comparable cost (the 944 Porsche was quite a bit more pricey than a Prelude back in the day), it just means they have to put up similar times at similar venues. It's a completely different question than what has been answered here.

Price is really unimportant in this comparison.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
How can you pick that out of the original post? All I got out of it was that he was comparing a Porsche to a Prelude for some reason and that he specifically wasn't asking about autocross.

In any event, my personal belief is that even if you limit the comparison to "racing," whatever that means, it is impossible to make any kind of meaningful comparison between cars that are completely dissimilar. Comparing cars that were built at different times with different design philosophies, like the tC and GS-R or Prelude, is just plain silly. How can there be a rivalry between a car that is in current production and one that has been out of production for years? Between an economy car designed to attract young buyers to a company known for reliability and a car designed to be a performance leader? Sounds like apples and oranges to me.

Even if you could compare those cars, what is there to look at with respect to the tC? How many published "race" results are there involving the tC? Aren't we basically guessing and making stuff up here?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lo Bux is completely right. i didnt mean so much in the market place even tho those were/are welcome. Lo Bux, in you're vast knowledge you cant think of any rivals. i can see the RSX cuz their both porky and have about close to the same numbers. and a supercharged tC is comparable to a type-S. i did own a 95 integra and i will say that the feel is comparable even tho the tC definately feels faster. however i still felt a feeling of upper eschelon being that the Teggy was an Acura and it still had that same Acura'esque luxury feel. but the tC to me still beats it out. plus i feel MORE special in a rarer car such as the scion vs the teg.

the civic? as far as im concerned its out of its league vs our tC. and i actually like civics. thats what i was looking to buy b4 i saw the tC. but the price tag for what i wanted was almost 3 g's more! (a comparable tC)

keep'em comin fellas. its interesting to hear your ideas.

·
Registered
186 Posts
JFBP--I assume you mean the RSX-S...

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jan 20 2006, 01:54 PM
Even if you could compare those cars, what is there to look at with respect to the tC? How many published "race" results are there involving the tC? Aren't we basically guessing and making stuff up here?
you are right. it is a bit of guesstimation involved. im not going to say it isnt. the tC is a little too new and has not been put in any serious races and being that the motor itself doesnt seem very well set up for race purposes i doubt we'll see too many 2az's hitting the track competitively even if the tC body shell does. that doesnt mean we can enjoy a nice digression tho does it?

i dont want to get you riled up. everybody likes to try to argue you down on different topics and usually i agree with u. so i wont play devils advocate this time just to blow steam up your butt.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.