Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's a pic that i saw on scionlife of a tC with dual exhaust. i was expecting to see some messed up setup, but i was surprised to see how nice it looks. it's not necessary at all on a 4 cylinder car, but it still looks great and probably sounds great too. i wonder how much power it adds.

take a look: http://tinypic.com/xyrnd

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
hmmm rather natural. i wonder how they cut the notch for the drivers side exaust.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I wonder how much weight it adds???

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think the car is lowered and if you look at the pic where the mufflers are, that has got to scrape like crazy on the regular road, forget about speed bumps. those things will rip that whole setup off the car.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
It's possible the second is just a dummy muffler cause too much exhaust causes too little back pressure & loss of power.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if it is, then that would look horrible when exhaust is coming out of one tail pipe but not the other, like on cold days especially. that is what you would call ghetto.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Too little backpressure? That's a joke right?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Originally posted by Kwiksilver@Dec 20 2004, 05:43 PM
i think the car is lowered and if you look at the pic where the mufflers are, that has got to scrape like crazy on the regular road, forget about speed bumps. those things will rip that whole setup off the car.
thats what i thought when i looked at it but it looks nice though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nothing is wrong with a dual exhaust on a 4-cyl. If it is done right you will see some pretty good gains, especially with a more tuned ex. manifold. If you took two cyls into each exhaust pipe, it would still be a true dual. You will obviously have a bit more top-end due to less back-pressure. On a naturally aspirated engine, backpressure can usually help for low-down torque but you will run into problems on the top end with power loss from that same pressure making it harder for the engine to get rid of those exhaust gases. If you were turbo-charged, a dual exhaust would have more gains over a single with the same size or even larger piping. On some cars dual-exhaust looks 10-times better then a single would, but on other cars (look at those Neons) dual's look horrible it can change performance or could be just for the looks, but if it looks good, then do it. It's your car, so do what you like, how you like. Personally, I think the tC looks badass with the dual exhaust and I am sure power gains will be seen if the exhaust is made correctly.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It may look nice, but there is nothing to be gained by separating the cylinders and there is a LOT to be lost. More power? Not possible, the physics don't support it, you're dead wrong on this, and no reputable tuner will agree with you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you also going to say that there is something wrong with a 4-2-1 manifold as well? I suppose I should have drawn it out for you but you have no clue what design I am even talking about. It is a fact that less backpressure will give you more power up top. There is more fluid dynamics then physics involved when we are talking about exhaust flow. If you disagree with me, then that is fine but don't come on here and try to tell me I am dead wrong about something you know little about.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by TLS-Store@Dec 30 2004, 02:36 PM
It is a fact that less backpressure will give you more power up top. There is more fluid dynamics then physics involved when we are talking about exhaust flow. If you disagree with me, then that is fine but don't come on here and try to tell me I am dead wrong about something you know little about.
Please. I am an idiot, I bow to your superior knowledge and ability. I've only been building and tuning street and competition engines for 25 years, and cut my teeth on four cylinder motorcycle engines. You're right, you should "draw it out" for me. Save your indignance for the ignorant and easily fooled.

No, the 4 - 2 - 1 is an excellent design. 4 - 2 is stupid because you lose the ability to scavenge the other cylinder pair by routing the exhaust gas to directly to atmosphere (which actually INCREASES backpressure because you don't have the energy of all four cylinders pushing against the atmospheric pressure in a single exhaust, just the two connected to the header).

If a dual exhaust has any horsepower advantage don't you think we'd see it in racing? Ummm. NO, there are no 4 - 2 exhausts on racing on 4's, 6's, 8's, 10's, or 12's. They ALL go into a single pipe, even the turbos with more than one hairdryer. Even the domestic guys know you need a crossover pipe to tie all eight cylinders together when using dual mufflers. And the dual thing is entirely cosmetic. It adds weight (the enemy), and does NOTHING to improve performance.

Maybe you should think about what you are saying before you say I know little about exhausts, you don't know me, my experience, or background.

BTW, fluid dynamics is a subset of physics. Try again.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 30 2004, 03:04 PM
Even the domestic guys know you need a crossover pipe to tie all eight cylinders together when using dual mufflers.
in fact, i believe that is the set-up we run on my old man's '50 chevy 1/2 ton, which has dual exhaust. hmm...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Let me start by saying I don't know a darn thing about this, so excuse the lame question, but why do any car makers use dual exhaust if there aren't any benefits? One in particular that comes to mind is the Infinity G35, and also the Mustang GT?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.