Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.automotiveaddicts.com/Sept05news/9-13-05.html

i wonder what they would replace the glass with if they had to recall it...

Posted 9/13/05 9:45 a.m. CDT

Safety officials are investigating wind deflectors on the sunroofs of 2005 Scion tC coupes.

WASHINGTON — Toyota has launched and sold 200,000 units of three Scion vehicles in just over two years without a safety recall. But that achievement may be in jeopardy.

Federal safety officials have said that they are stepping up an investigation of wind deflectors on the sunroofs of 2005 Scion tC coupes. Some deflectors have shattered, showering glass on vehicle occupants.

"These occurrences may pose a risk of driver distraction and personal injury," says a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report.

The agency and the automaker have received eight complaints of broken deflectors. Toyota Motor North America Inc. told NHTSA of 37 warranty claims that may be related to the problem.

Toyota says its research found no flaw in design, manufacturing or assembly. The automaker suspects the deflectors are being broken by airborne debris. Toyota spokeswoman Ming-Jou Chen declined further comment.

NHTSA's upgrading of a defect investigation in this way, from a preliminary evaluation to an engineering analysis, often is a prelude to a recall.

More than 60,000 tC coupes are on the road.[/b]

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Well every one knows of the Rattles the sun roof makes i would hope by now. Well since from what i am understanding the only tCs that have that problem are 2005's and the ones they are saying that are shattering are 2005's. Here is my theroy since the bolts on the 2005's are becoming loose and are vibrating (rattles) it is cause ing a flex and a vibration at the same time putting small stress fractures in the glass causeing it to get worse over time and eventually causeing it to shatter. This kind of stuff is looked at in many different things for instance on one of the brackets in the Main Langding gear of the F-16 there is a bolt that tends likeing to back out causeing vibration and then causeing the bracket to eventually to break due to stress fractures. That is why after at least every 2 flights you should tighten this bolt. unless of course you like walking the length of the aircraft ramp and geting a new clamp. Well that my view as a F-16 Crew Chief (maintainer). just figured i would throw that out there.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i submit that my tC's moonroof is not subjected to the same abuse as an F-16 or its landing gear.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I fully expect there will be a recall on the tc in regards to the glass deflector only. It may take a while before the NHTSA gets the data to support it. Toyota will probably do it before the final results are in. It looks better that way. The way it shatters ..as I understand it.. the solution may end up being a laminated glass replacement panel like windshield glass. it may end up being a less expensive....for them alternative. I don't think the issue will be the fact than when hit with an object it breaks...it will be the spray of glass into the vehicle and the safety of the occupants and accident possibility. Just my 2 cents. I do think there will be a recall though. Windshields get cracked everyday. They rarely shatter into the passenger compartment though due to the lamination .

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Well tha fact that a tC doesnt take the abuse as an F-16's landing gear has nothing to do with it since the bracekt isnt eve attached to the landing gear. It is in the landing gear bay where the gear fold up into Not attached to the landing gear.. The bracket actually is connected to the bulk head so there for it goes threw less abuse then you think. Oh in Top Gun they flew F-14's not F-16's. And i was also just throwing a theroy out there for people to see a different prospective trying to say that mayb it wasnt an airborn debri like they said it was. Just suggesting a nother factor that is a possibility.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If the sunroof "rattle" people are people are talking about is more of a "creak", i know where it's coming from. If you open your sunroof all the way, you can kind of wiggle the wind deflector up and down 1/2 inch or so, the creaking from my sunroof was coming from that movement, the support arm on the right wasn't greased up enough, and would creak when the wind buffetted the deflector.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by bluesciontc@Sep 14 2005, 11:23 AM
Well tha fact that a tC doesnt take the abuse as an F-16's landing gear has nothing to do with it since the bracekt isnt eve attached to the landing gear. It is in the landing gear bay where the gear fold up into Not attached to the landing gear.. The bracket actually is connected to the bulk head so there for it goes threw less abuse then you think. Oh in Top Gun they flew F-14's not F-16's. And i was also just throwing a theroy out there for people to see a different prospective trying to say that mayb it wasnt an airborn debri like they said it was. Just suggesting a nother factor that is a possibility.
as i said before, sometimes people grab your football and run the wrong way.

um, i know that they flew f-14's. it wasnt a reference to the type of plane, just a quote from a movie from a scene where a plane was landing, as your post mentioned landing gear. it was made in a very light manner. not to be taken as literally as you apparently are taking it. lighten up. not everything is a personal challenge. unless you need to make it that way.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
No no i wasnt takeing it as a personal challange. I was just saying that it is possible for that to be the reason and i didnt mean to come across up tight my bad dude.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by Geneo@Sep 14 2005, 08:18 AM
I fully expect there will be a recall on the tc in regards to the glass deflector only. It may take a while before the NHTSA gets the data to support it. Toyota will probably do it before the final results are in. It looks better that way. The way it shatters ..as I understand it.. the solution may end up being a laminated glass replacement panel like windshield glass. it may end up being a less expensive....for them alternative. I don't think the issue will be the fact than when hit with an object it breaks...it will be the spray of glass into the vehicle and the safety of the occupants and accident possibility. Just my 2 cents. I do think there will be a recall though. Windshields get cracked everyday. They rarely shatter into the passenger compartment though due to the lamination .
For the life of me, I cannot see a recall coming. The numbers aren't there. Perhaps Toyota will offer a different replacement part or coupons to owners, but I doubt we will see a recall. As I said, the numbers just aren't there.

I am just thankful that it is not an error of Ford proportions (auto-ignition).

Cheers and 15.3K miles defect free!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I was reading Forbes online and found this article. It pretains to 05 and 06 tC models. Very important please read.

Associated Press
Toyota Recalling Some Scion TC Models
10.19.2005, 09:53 AM

Toyota Motor Corp. is recalling some models of the Scion tC amid reports that a glass wind deflector, located near the moonroof, may shatter when struck by road debris.

The automaker said the recall involves about 71,000 vehicles from the 2005-06 model years of the tC sport coupes in the United States.

The Scion brand has been popular with younger buyers.

Toyota said the wind deflector tilts up when the moonroof is opened and could shatter when struck by road debris and separate from the frame at highway speeds. In the worst case, pieces of the wind deflector could fall onto motorists inside the vehicle, causing injuries or distractions.

The recall, announced Tuesday, is expected to begin in late October.

Toyota said there have been three reports filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Customers could reduce the likelihood of the deflector shattering by not opening the moonroof until the vehicle is repaired, Toyota said.

Dealers will repair the vehicles at no charge to the owners, the automaker said.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Welcome to the site but please do a search first next time. This has already been covered here and should be discussed there only.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Actually his post is different, his post is actually confirming a recall unlike the other post that questions for a recall. Also I think this post needs to pinned so everyone knows that Toyota's about issue a recall.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
If you go to the end of both threads you see that lo bux has posted a URL to the official NHTSA information about the recall...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Thanks I found it, but still think it needs to be pinned somewhere so that all tC owners would be informed of this recall.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.