Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was going to my aunt's house to see my cousin and when i pulled up i saw his friends 240 out side so i said to myself he's gonna want to race. as soon as i stepped foot into my cousin's room " do u wanna go" i'm like sure. so i'm following him and he take me o one of his friends house and he had the gts. he said that he wanted to race bout of us (kill two birds with one stone). well the only thing i could see that the gts had was an exhaust. i knew that i would take him off the launch but i know that he has top end. so we all roll out to some side street and the 240 and the gts go at it first. 240 got his butt kicked. so its my turn i had a real good launch 2nd he's at my door 3rd he's at my trunk and 4th i'm still pulling a little bit at a time, before we shut down he was a car and a half behind me. after that he started making exucses that his box slowed him down, but he did say that my car was quick. the 240 didn't want no part of me he said when he gets his car running right again then well talk. from what my cousin and his friends said that the kid had I/h/e but i only saw the exhaust. has anyone else beat a gts?

·
Registered
426 Posts
well in reality you wouldnt have beat it..the kid must have sucked at driving..if ur talking about the Celica GT-S its got about 180HP stock as with the tC 160..if ur talking about the Eclipse GTS its got about 210 HP stock..the 240SX has about 155HP so thats no problem..but if u did beat him then i applaud you for beating the driver of a faster car..he should have taken you if his driving skills were up to par in either car..the 240 should have given u a good run for ur money, but hey it just shows who was the better driver of the 3 of you..good s*it

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I/H/E? Read my sig...at the bottom...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by Blazian@Apr 18 2005, 07:20 PM
i beat a celica gts
What year?

Though even if it is a recent one (the '02 would likely be the quickest), beating it is not out of the question. The GTS has only 130lb/ft of torque, and it comes on very late-- 6800rpm. He needs to be screaming it to redline in every gear to stay with you... if he's of questionable skill, you get the result you did.

I thought for sure someone would have mentioned by now that

33 more pound feet > 20 more hp

any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
About a month ago a bunch of my friends and I whent to Reno for a weekend of gettin away from the wifes and gettin close to a lot of cocktails. So anyways It was my tC a 03 mini and my best friends new gt-s eclipse. We all started in Auburn which is exactly 100 miles to Reno. We timed ourselfs to see who would reach Reno first. I gave everybody - ten min for gas breaks. I was shocked my tC that Neal my buddy and I made it in 1:15:32. My buddy Jake with his 04 eclipse gt-s v6 did it in 1:21:51, and my buddy Eric in his 04 Matrix XRS came in at 1:25:41. Now remeber this course up I80 and is almost all uphill. The eclipse is fast but it feels really heavy.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Apr 18 2005, 09:06 PM

any day of the week.
Bullsh!t. Torque comparisions on different cars doesn't mean sh!t. Search on it. Torque differences only mean something on IDENTICAL cars.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Apr 19 2005, 01:14 AM
Bullsh!t. Torque comparisions on different cars doesn't mean sh!t. Search on it. Torque differences only mean something on IDENTICAL cars.
Then could it not also be said that horsepower comparisons between different vehicles of different weights and gearing are equally meaningless? Because everyone and their mother is all-to-quick to make that claim, and I've never seen you raise a flag about that.

Excellent job of needless h8ing, though.

Because if you think 30lb/ft makes no difference, go drive a Honda. You'll reconsider. No paper numbers, no "what I read" or "what I heard". No searches necessary.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Oh boy, here we go again.

·
Registered
576 Posts
honestly, who cares what car is faster than what. I'm just as guilty as the next person, but if we're honest with ourselves, what does a faster car than the other guy really mean? We'll be able to outrun the nuclear fallout 1/10 of a second faster? Aliens won't be able to catch up with a 15.5 second quarter mile to enslave us?

*shrugs. A faster car mean 90% of the time you paid dollar for horsepower, far less of the time does it mean you took a slow car and modded it enough to make it fast.

Although, like i said, i'm one of the worst offenders.

·
Registered
42 Posts
most of you have no clue at all. i'm not saying this as in "you guys are ****" i'm saying this as in "do your research"

-a celica gt-s with a good driver is a high 14 low 15 second car stock. some have hit 14.7-14.8 with minor weight reduction
- 2002 celica gt-s is the SLOWEST gt-s of them all since the lower fuel cut off set at 7800 instead of 8250 or watever its at
-a celica gt-s would rip the tc a new one with equal drivers or even the gt-s driver being a little iffy when it comes to driving.
-the auto celica gt-s is the slowest celica of them all because it can't take advantage of the powerband at all.
-if you raced a celica gt-s from a dig and get an early lead, it will only last for a short while, gt-s top end > TC top end. you would not keep on pulling on a gt-s

the only way i see you beating a gt-s is if the idiot either shifts at 7K meaning barely getting into lift or shifts before lift OR shifts at the fuel cutoff but somehow end up at 4K rpms in next gear.

the TC is more of a match for the GT not the gt-s.

the TC's low end is nice but it is meaningless when 2nd gear lift engages on a gt-s

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Ok, i've raced and beat both GTs and GTS's... and i've won both and lost to a GTS. The GTS's top end is pretty damn good because of the cam lift... but as stated before its only at the very top of the power band. The GTS can also rev alot higher than the tC giving it in a way, a longer shot per gear even though it is a 6speed. It really does come down to driver ability and launch. The GTS is a DOG off the line, but once that lift kicks in, that thing pulls. Good race man, glad to hear you won, but don't plan on those results everytime.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope+Apr 18 2005, 09:06 PM-->QUOTE (Dr. Isotope @ Apr 18 2005, 09:06 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Blazian
@Apr 18 2005, 07:20 PM
i beat a celica gts
What year?

Though even if it is a recent one (the '02 would likely be the quickest), beating it is not out of the question. The GTS has only 130lb/ft of torque, and it comes on very late-- 6800rpm. He needs to be screaming it to redline in every gear to stay with you... if he's of questionable skill, you get the result you did.

any day of the week. [/b]
it was a newer model.. i just remember when i raced it, the celica crept hard in 4th... but threw 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and mid 4th i had him...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Apr 19 2005, 07:02 AM
Then could it not also be said that horsepower comparisons between different vehicles of different weights and gearing are equally meaningless? Because everyone and their mother is all-to-quick to make that claim, and I've never seen you raise a flag about that.

Excellent job of needless h8ing, though.

Because if you think 30lb/ft makes no difference, go drive a Honda. You'll reconsider. No paper numbers, no "what I read" or "what I heard". No searches necessary.
Cure your obvious ignorance. Read this.

Or save yourself reading the whole thread and read this.

If you still disagree, post a reply.

And BTW, you're only digging a hole for yourself. I've driven Hondas, and I won't "reconsider" because I understand the physics, and I know how to drive engines that make torque at high rpm.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Blazian@Apr 20 2005, 12:30 AM
it was a newer model.. i just remember when i raced it, the celica crept hard in 4th... but threw 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and mid 4th i had him...
Because like most people the guy didn't know how to slip the clutch and launch at a decent rpm for that engine, and he didn't keep his foot planted all the way to redline.

How many guys on this list have said "I got it to 6000 but just couldn't go any more" because they were flat out afraid something bad will happen? If you aren't flirting with the rev limiter, you're not getting all you paid for. If you don't bounce it off the rev limiter a few times (which does NO damage) then you don't even know where it hits.

An engine like the GTS Celica's makes all its torque at high rpm just like a lot of Hondas. You have to launch it at high rpm while slipping the clutch, just like a bike. You have to redline it in every gear, just like a bike. If you don't have the stomach to do this, you'll never know the maximum power the engine has.

Oh, and it's NOT the cam. Its the cam, the ports, the intake, the exhaust, the bore and stroke, the rod length in relation to the stroke, and HOW IT ALL WORKS TOGETHER. An engine is a symphony of players, that's why it's called TUNING. If they don't all work together, the result is nothing but noise.

·
Registered
282 Posts
lo bux here's the deal. I'm gonna move to wherever it is you live. I will be your shop monkey for free, just teach me at least 1/4 of what you know. I'll deliver pizzas on weekends to get by until I begin to approach your ridiculous level of knowledge.

If you want I'll mow your lawn and stuff too...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.