Scion tC Forums banner

tC vs. 2005 Mustang V-6

5K views 31 replies 14 participants last post by  MustangJolly 
#1 ·
I was wondering if my tC with I/H/E would be able to beat a Stock 2005 Mustang V-6 in a 1/4 mile drag race?

My tC is running a 15.5s quarter mile right now (I'm getting pretty good at the track (.42 reaction times)), and is probably pushing about 180 horses at the crank.

The Mustang V-6 makes 210 horsepower at the crank but weighs about 450 lbs more. I'm surprised that the best the Ford could pull out of a 4.0L V-6 was 210 horsepower. The 350Z's 3.5L makes close to 300 horse power.

I think that it would probably be a drivers race.

#3 ·
I read an article in an import tuner magazine a month ago that dynoed a tC with pretty much the exact same mods as my tC. Same brand of CAI, same brand header, different brand axle back exhaust (but they all are basically the same). All things installed the tC dynoed an increase of 16.5 wheel horsepower (best of 3 runs).

That's where I get my estimate of about 180 crank horse power.

I also noticed a difference in my E/T each time I went to the track with a new part installed. The fastest I was able to run stock was a 16.1s 1/4 mile. Now I run a 15.5s 1/4 mile. Be mindful, still on stock/crappy tires.

Still, would it be a good race between a tC with I/H/E and a stock 2005 V-6 Mustang?

#5 ·
Ive smoke v6 mustang the older models...dont know about the new ones....

#7 ·
Originally posted by Lambi4Life@Nov 15 2005, 04:54 PM
I read an article in an import tuner magazine a month ago that dynoed a tC with pretty much the exact same mods as my tC. Same brand of CAI, same brand header, different brand axle back exhaust (but they all are basically the same). All things installed the tC dynoed an increase of 16.5 wheel horsepower (best of 3 runs).

That's where I get my estimate of about 180 crank horse power.

I also noticed a difference in my E/T each time I went to the track with a new part installed. The fastest I was able to run stock was a 16.1s 1/4 mile. Now I run a 15.5s 1/4 mile. Be mindful, still on stock/crappy tires.

Still, would it be a good race between a tC with I/H/E and a stock 2005 V-6 Mustang?
ok lets break it down

stock tc= ~140hp

CAI= at most...10hp(Injen)

Exhaust=at most...5hp

Header= at most...6hp

Even though those numbers were not dyno proven, the products give an average of those numbers. So show me where a ~170hp can beat the 210 hp, even with the 450lbs extra weight

#13 ·
stop crying...

#14 ·
Originally posted by basilisk4@Nov 15 2005, 06:56 PM
And now adjust for the fact that the I/H/E really only probably adds about 10 HP.
thank you.

ALaS Posted on Nov 15 2005, 10:40 PM
CAI= at most...10hp(Injen)

Hmmm... [/b]
yea, i was giving him the benefit of the doubt.

stop crying...[/b]
who are you talking to?

#21 ·
Originally posted by Zygote55@Nov 16 2005, 12:25 PM
You are the only person in this thread talking about wheel HP.

We don't know the HP of the mustang at the wheels, so the HP at the crank was used to compare to the tC's power at the crank (160HP).
okay, i apologize, i did not see "at the crank." I was wrong. You seem tense.

#22 ·
If it's an auto... oh dear lord you will spank it like there is no tomorrow. Seriously, the V6 Auto Mustangs are the laughing stock. Now if it's a manual, you are looking at a pretty fair fight, they still suffer a pretty hefty drivetrain loss (more than the tC does).

#23 ·
Originally posted by HaTeOnThYs05+Nov 16 2005, 12:50 PM-->QUOTE (HaTeOnThYs05 @ Nov 16 2005, 12:50 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Zygote55
@Nov 16 2005, 12:25 PM
You are the only person in this thread talking about wheel HP.

We don't know the HP of the mustang at the wheels, so the HP at the crank was used to compare to the tC's power at the crank (160HP).
okay, i apologize, i did not see "at the crank." I was wrong. You seem tense. [/b]
lol...not tense, just frustrated. YOu guys were arguing over something you agreed on.

#24 ·
hp isnt all that matters in a race..... dyno sheets dont matter.. my car puts 190awhp and i smoked an e36 m3 from a roll... which has 260 crank ~ 220+rwhp you'll never know until you race one the new v6 is a lot quicker than the older ones ( 99 - 04 ) .. now the 94-98 is only 160 crank

#26 ·
Not me. I want to race! Kind of a pride thing. My ex-girlfriend's new boyfriend just bought a 2005 Manual V-6 Mustang. He says that he wants to supercharge it and paint a horse (mustang) on the side. Sounds pretty Ricey to me. Why didn't he buy a Mustang GT if he wants to be fast? I'll race him in a second if I see him on the street.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.