Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
last night i was out late at a recording studio and i left at about 3am, the same time as my producer. he has an 05 altima 2.5. now i drove an 04 2.5 altima about 6 months back from one of my other friends and i thought it was a pretty quick car. i thought that it was faster then my tc. though i have never raced. i know that the altima has about 15 more horses but i also know it is heavier. so back to last night, there really werent any cars out at 3am. so im egging my producer on a bit. so we slow to about 20mph. i give the three honks and i smoke him. now mind you i thought i was probably going to lose but i certainly didnt think i was going to pull away like i did. i was so surpised i 2 wayed him on the nextel and ask him if he had actually hit it. he said he did. i have a stock 06 tc and he has a stock altima. now this isnt the first time that i was suprised by my tc. my father has a 99 porsche boxter. about 2 weeks ago we sort of had a race. the condtions were pretty bad. it had rained alot early in the day and the streets were still pretty wet. we got to a red light and he starting revving at me. i knew what was coming. my tc is an auto and his boxster is a stick. i didnt punch it off the light cause i knew i would just spin the tires all the way down the street, niether did he. now i started slowly pulling away from the start. all the way through 2 gear his front bumper was at the back of my driver door. once he shifted to third he started to catch up but i had to slow down cause there was a car in front of me. im pretty sure that the reason i was winning was because i judged the weather conditions better and overall drove my car better then he did his. i think he would beat me when there are ideal conditions. but when it comes to handling i believe the boxster will out perform most cars on the street. i driven it before and due to its mid engine design you can take corners at crazy speeds, its balanced so well. im likiing my tc more and more everyday.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
Haha, nice. Becareful on wet streets though; have fun.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I'm not a Boxster fan. I toast them around turns with my current tC set up unless they've fixed their suspension too. I've always thought they were overpriced, underpowered, and lots of fluff instead of lots of delivery.

As a for instance, I played tag with a BMW 330 ragtop yesterday on a fast on ramp. He couldn't pull on me at all with power or cornering ability. He got the jump because he did a GM pass and I was hoping second would pull a little better than it did (and shifting to first would have been pointless at 15 mph). I sat right on his tail up to a little over a buck and decided I didn't need to attract any more attention.

He blazed through traffic for a second, then slowed down to a more reasonable 85 mph. I thought it was pretty funny he couldn't pull on me, and yes, he definitely knew I was there, we were side by side for a hot second at the light before the on ramp.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yes. Until I replace first and second gears in the gearbox and go through the engine, it's on blocks. Really, I'm waiting for PHR to finally get their CARB approved single turbo kit on the market. I'm really not interested in keeping the OEM twins.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Porsches in general have an inherent handling problem with their RR set up. It's a better mix than the 60/40 we've got going on the tC but I think they're looking at something like 40/60? Porsche engineers (specifically their first engineer) placed the engine in the rear (not the middle) to gain good traction while accelerating and not really for handling. In hard acceleration, with the RR setup about 80 or so percent of the body weight gets shifted onto the rear drive wheels. And despite this the Porsche engines aren't all that.. They're very smooth but nothing that a BMW or Mercedes can't compete with.

Wow, sorry, that was off topic. Completely.

Still off topic really but..

Lance, do the OEM turbos not flow well enough? Toyota turbos were never all that great especially compared to modern turbos but certainly you could get an aftermarket twin turbo set? Of course, modern turbos have effectively done away with the need for sequential twin turbos.. but still, a GT28R first turbo and a GT45R second

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No one has been successful in making a sequential replacement. There were rumors of one from RPS, but they've pretty much abandoned their turbo stuff and focused on their clutch business. They were working on it back in the days when Chris Rado was driving a Supra and it only made 767 hp at SILV'00 for best pull of the day.

I'd be happy with a single turbo making about 600 hp. Enough to keep the new Z-06s at bay. Otherwise, it's time to save up for the Z-06. Actually, get busier selling product so I get enough commission to buy the Z-06 outright.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I have four of them on the garage floor and two in the car. Do you want to buy them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.