Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, so I am interested in the TC, but am not ready to go and test drive one yet or anything.

My current car has HORRIBLE visibility, and since I live in a congested area with difficult parking, it is important to me that my next car have better visibility.

My question to all of you is what your opinion is on how easy it is to see out of your scion tc compared to others you may have driven. This includes rearview, etc.

I know a good amount about the tc, and heard there was a decently sized blindspot, but that was in a review, and I would like some actual drivers to answer the question.

I know it sounds strange to consider visibility one of the main factors in buying a car, but it is important to me, and any opinions would be very helpful.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
It does not sound strange AT ALL to consider visibility when buying a car. In fact, I believe that if more people were smart as you obviously are, it wouldn't seem like such a strange concern.

The truth is that the tC's visibility is generally adequate, but certainly not great. It is better than many or most of the coupes I have been in, but if you're used to the visibility of a well-designed sedan, as I was, it will take some getting used to. I have gotten used to the blind spots for the most part -- and using the side mirrors helps a great deal -- but it is still hard to see to the rear corners of the car, especially on the driver's side. The rear pillar, while placed much better than in many coupes (e.g., Celica), still blocks visibility more than I would like.

To summarize: The car does have blind spots, but they can mostly be avoided by adjusting the side mirrors properly and using them liberally. After a few weeks, you won't notice the blind spots much.

·
Registered
339 Posts
yea i too have been getting used to the tc's coupe design as far as blind spots..i can say that now i am certainly not noticing them anymore after 1 month of having the car

·
Registered
185 Posts
you definitely have to get used to it. After almost two weeks w/ my tC i'm finally getting used to it. it's so different from my old camry. just gotta get used it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Like stated before, it is just the placement of the rear pillars. However, i find the tC about 10 times better than my gf's grand am, you can't see anything in that car because the headrest, pillars, etc block a large area. I installed a spot mirror to help with that.

-Ed

·
Registered
127 Posts
Since the rear visibility already been talked about, I wanted to point out the front pillars as well. I find it hard to see the left turn traffic light sometime. It is quite big if you compare it to say..an '88 honda prelude. but I did test drive other coupes as well, and this one has the best visibility so far. haha, if you want close to no visibility at all, try a miata w/ it's top on

WolfPackVic ~ haha, i must be a really big nerd to understand your sig. w/in the second of reading it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
WolfPackVic ~ haha, i must be a really big nerd to understand your sig. w/in the second of reading it. 
[/b]
haha, your the second person today to point out my sig. i've seen the quote around before, it's cool. guess i'm a bigger nerd in actually using it in my sig.

to stay on topic, hehe, the pillar on the driver's side took a little longer getting used to. i'm extra careful when switching lanes to the left. i'll get used to it, it's been less than 2 weeks =)

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
I agree that both the front and rear pillar blind spots take some getting used to. But like with any car, you'll get to the point where you can just feel where your limits are. Just take a few extra seconds to check your mirrors when changing lanes and whatnot. Most people don't look at all to begin with, so you'll have a leg up on them.

PS: I got the signature too and laughed at myself for understanding it. heh. But I'm a computer programmer, so I'm supposed to know it. heh

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by lucidspoon@Aug 1 2005, 08:55 AM
I agree that both the front and rear pillar blind spots take some getting used to. But like with any car, you'll get to the point where you can just feel where your limits are. Just take a few extra seconds to check your mirrors when changing lanes and whatnot. Most people don't look at all to begin with, so you'll have a leg up on them.

PS: I got the signature too and laughed at myself for understanding it. heh. But I'm a computer programmer, so I'm supposed to know it. heh
The only time I've griped about the visibility is this one turn going to the apartment complex. The front-right pillar blocks the view and people like to park cars there, if you go too fast around the corner you could potentially hit a parked car... other than that I have no problems with it.

OT: For whoever is wondering, that phrase comes from ThinkGeek... they have been selling a shirt for ~3-4yrs that says it. And it isn't "sad" that you get it, just means you are smart

·
Registered
454 Posts
Well then I must be dumb because I have been looking at it for a while and I have no clue what it means... I know binary is all that 00101010010 junk. Could one of you smart people tell me what 10 means?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by Obike@Aug 1 2005, 02:08 PM
OT: For whoever is wondering, that phrase comes from ThinkGeek... they have been selling a shirt for ~3-4yrs that says it. And it isn't "sad" that you get it, just means you are smart
The joke is much older than that...I saw people using that as a tagline on BBSs (dialup message boards) in the early 90s.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by Halewafa@Aug 1 2005, 01:00 PM
Well then I must be dumb because I have been looking at it for a while and I have no clue what it means... I know binary is all that 00101010010 junk. Could one of you smart people tell me what 10 means?
10 means two in binary.

-Ed

·
Registered
175 Posts
i would say, it depends on your height.

Only because, I'm 5'1" and I have TONS of visibility problems. I can't see over the dash, at all, when I'm driving. J/K, I can. But seriously. When I'm checking my left-side blind spot, I have to literally STARE beyond the pillar, cuz it's PERFECTLy in my vision. I have this TINY area btwn the pillar and back part of the window, that I can see out of. VERY hard to do when you have sunglasses. Yes, I have gotten used to it, but then again, I have gotten used to checking that side about 3-4 times before making a lane change.

My right. I gave up on that. With most of my cars, I can't see a darn thing. Mostly because my passengers are taller, and bigger than me, and sit farther back. so their head is perfectly in line with the window. So, I have since adjusted my mirror to see the blind spot. A bitch though, when I need to back up and cant' really use that mirror.

Also, I have a hard time making right turns, without hitting smoething. Mostly because that darn front pillar is so large. It blocks out a lot of things. And for some odd reason, I have hit curbs on that side more than my left.

So, it could be my height. It could just be me. But all I know, is that I have a LOT of issues with this car, more than with my MR2 (which had tiny tiny windows).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That doesnt sound good. =/

I like this car, but if it has less than average visibility I dont know if I'll buy it, I'll have to testdrive it though I guess, once I decide it's time for the car.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
I was used to quite poor visibility with our Murano, so changing to this car, I was already used to relying on mirror and only getting a minor glimpse looking back. Visibility isn't great (especially rear to the driver side) but it definitely was far from a deal breaker for me.

-Ed

·
Registered
243 Posts
sry guys, but your not that geeky. alot of people i know get that joke, and since jcpenny etc. sells shirts that say that, i think so does everyone else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
^ I believe it's called inference, and you don't need a CS degree to get it. For example: After eating six cans of Alpo, my dog fecalated my carpet leaving a nasty stain and odor. Does anyone not know what "fecalated" means? You get the idea. There was a whole section on the SAT for this, and if they had used sentences like my example I would have done MUCH better on it. By the way this is completely off topic.

As for the visibility in a tC, it's not great but as good if not better than most of the SUVs I've driven (there is a reason why SUVs have those nice tennis racket sized mirrors - but simillar mirrors on a tC would just look odd).

Lucas

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by Z3phyr@Aug 1 2005, 10:06 PM

I like this car, but if it has less than average visibility I dont know if I'll buy it, I'll have to testdrive it though I guess, once I decide it's time for the car.
It depends on what you're comparing it to. The tC has less than average visibility compared to well-designed four-door sedans (e.g., Camry, Corolla, Accord, Civic). Compared to other coupes, however, the tC has good visibility.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Originally posted by Z3phyr@Aug 1 2005, 06:06 PM

Definitely test drive it. Or sit in one at least. And I didn't mean to turn you off from the car, but just realize, if you're short, the seat has to be closer to the steering wheel, and therefore, that pillar on the left side comes into play. If you're taller, it's not so much in the way (I would assume).

Definitely at least sit in the thing, adjust as needed and see for yourself.

I also wanted to state, I have always had coupes. They don't have the best visibility, but you learn to adapt. That's why I use my right side mirror for that blind spot. It's a bitch to back up, but it's safer when I'm on the freeway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.