Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my tC isn't going to be driven for 4 months. I would like those who know to fill me in on what steps I should take to prepare my car for this lack of use. It will be secure in a garage.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be in my garage here in Tampa. It shouldn't be facing any adverse weather conditions. I'm mostly worried about the fuel system and possibly other engine components that may be harmed by a long period without being used.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am sure there is a magical number of months for when to take all these steps, but since I don't know what it is, I'll say them all. First, fill tank up all the way. Airspace may allow moisture to get in. Second, see if you can get all four tires off the ground (liek putting it on blocks). It helps the rubber. It may not be needed for just 4 months, but since I don't know, I would do it on my car. Lastly, disconnect the battery.

When you get back, get the tires on the ground and check tire pressures. Reconnect battery - though you may want to check the charge on it first. Reset all the windows and the like. Fire up engine. It may take a while to start, and you will want to let it idle some. Add a bottle of water treatment just in case.

Take 'er out for a spin and enjoy her.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^^Yeah, that's the kind of stuff I was looking for. I'm also thinking about changing the oil shortly before I leave, and then getting it changed again when I get back. Would that be necessary?

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To answer your question more thoroughly, Jake, I'm getting deployed in support of OEF. They sprung it on me earlier this week that I have to go. Fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
16,847 Posts
Originally posted by Azrael@Sep 15 2005, 11:10 PM
To answer your question more thoroughly, Jake, I'm getting deployed in support of OEF. They sprung it on me earlier this week that I have to go. Fun stuff.
Be safe, buddy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Be safe Scott.

To answer your question on the oil, I would not fool with it. Oil is not hygroscopic. The only way water or other contaminants will get in there is if a) you run the engine, or b) someone opens up the cap and dumps it in there.

OTOH, it doesn't cost all that much, so if it gives you peace of mind, just do it.
I'd just rather spend the money on something else.

Best of luck,
Dan

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
If you want to go fully hard core on this, you should pull the sparkplugs and put a teaspoon (5ml) of oil in each cylinder to keep the rings from sticking. Your battery should be put on a Battery Tender or some kind of maintenance trickle charger. Leaving it unused for that long could cause the plates to sulfate (AMHIK). Putting the car on jackstands is a great way to keep the tires round and discourage anyone, including the tow truck guys, from stealing it.

There are LOTS of guys giving decent long term storage advice for motorcycles. Your tC isn't a lot different in many ways.

Be safe over there! It's OK to be paranoid, they really are out to get you, despite the press, it is still a war zone, and not everybody makes it out alive. Keep us updated as you can, and I hope its a 179 day TDY...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.