Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked at the specs for the tC?
for manual the sway bar is 21mm front and 18 mm rear
the automatic sway bar is 21mm front and 20 mm rear.. even though it weighs 5lbs less in the rear than the manual..

the differences in front weight is about 70lbs.. which would account for the auto tranny.. but physics tells you (correct me if i'm wrong) that more weight on the front axles would require an increase in the diameter of that sway bar (Front)..
but the rear weighs 5lbs less in the auto and has a larger sway bar?

someone explain this one to me.. because for me it's telling me the auto would handle better..

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Jul 27 2004, 12:32 PM
Has anyone looked at the specs for the tC?
for manual the sway bar is 21mm front and 18 mm rear
the automatic sway bar is 21mm front and 20 mm rear.. even though it weighs 5lbs less in the rear than the manual..

the differences in front weight is about 70lbs.. which would account for the auto tranny.. but physics tells you (correct me if i'm wrong) that more weight on the front axles would require an increase in the diameter of that sway bar (Front)..
but the rear weighs 5lbs less in the auto and has a larger sway bar?

someone explain this one to me.. because for me it's telling me the auto would handle better..
Logically youre right, it makes no sense. However, if you try and attempt to look at it from Scion's point of view (a.k.a money money money) the majority of the aftermarket swaybars ordered for the TC will be put on Manuals since those are what track enthusiasts and "street racers" use. So, scion knows that the automatics they ship out are mostly going to business people or people not interested enough in the AUTO-X side of things to change out swaybars and therefore Scion can add a thicker more costly swaybar without fear of it just being swapped out in a couple months.

Also, there could be many other issues like the clearance differences between the 5-M AND 4A trannies etc......hopefully someone here has a super-solid answer but thast my input for tonight!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tcrazy..
yeah you make a good point, about money, money, money.. well at least they put the good stuff on a car the knew no one was going to modify.. most other companies would've just gone cheap all the way around!! not that's what toyota did but it's a good thought you've had, i think that may be what might have happened..

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
what an excellent question. i have no data. stupid freakin salesman. i'll look into it for a definitive answer, but i like the response that TCrazy had.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that sounds great, inevitable..
definitely let us know why that is.. not that i'm complaining (ordered an automatic)

i noticed you're a scion rep? is there any way you can find out what the RMS output is of the radio's amplifier? kind of have an idea what it is, but better to ask you.. thanks!!

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
hmm, this is proving difficult. everyone is giving me the " couldnt tell you, we didnt design the car" line. i did find out that that the TRD sway bar lends a 37% reduction in roll, though. still searching. the truth is out there.

the rms output on the stock deck may be equally hard to come by. but i will look into it as well.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I know this is a newbie question, but exactly how does the sway bar work, and what makes the car handle better? and is it worth the $$? Also, is it possible to install yourself?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
oh, awesome link, thanks.
How Stuff Works rules again.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Ok: Another newbie question: How difficult is it to install the TRD Rear Sway Bar? Is it a diy or should i have the dealer install it when i get my tc?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Aug 10 2004, 12:29 PM
Ok: Another newbie question: How difficult is it to install the TRD Rear Sway Bar? Is it a diy or should i have the dealer install it when i get my tc?
Takes about 15 minutes with a $5 socket set. Need to jack the car, take off one of the wheels - then it's a piece of cake. I'd use jackstands, though, just in case. The swaybar comes with install instructions.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I plan to try and do that to my tC at some point, along with the strut tower bar. I've been told by numerous folks that those two mods make more difference than perhaps anything else you can do. I'm not much into making engineering improvements to my car, but I'm willing to try those. At any rate, "some point" will probably coincide roughly with whenever I have some money...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts