Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the security option on my ride but I don't have a lot of experience with security systems. Is this only a passive system?

Do I still need to invest in a system like the one Alpman described in his post (sounds great). What does that Hornet 700T system + add-ons have that I don't?

I read through the owners manual and can't find anything about my security system. Did they forget to give me that manual or can I find it online?

Please help before I spend another $500 on the Alpman system (which still sounds kick-ass btw)

Thanks so much!

Jeff

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay so this is my understanding after talking to the dealer:

The "security" option (for $469) is just a passive security system involving a computer chip in the key - without which the car will not start. So even with a key cut to fit the car, the engine will not turn over.

I guess I still need an active system.

Jeff

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
What you described in your second message is not the Scion Security add-on, but rather is included with every tC. The $469 Scion Security package is an alarm, albeit one that many find crappy.

I added a Viper 550ESP alarm system to my tC for about $250 installed.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay so now I'm really confused. Am I the only person who had this option installed on their system? I cannot find any instructions on how to operate this alarm.

Now I feel like I wasted $500 that I should have just spent on a real alarm.

Do I have to have this one removed to put a new one on?

*grumble*

Jeff

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
I have it but I'm not sure what you are trying to operate with it. It is very straight forward in that it just activates when you lock your car from the remote. There is nothing fancy about it at all. You should have gotten a manual for your alarm with the car. Ask your dealer about it if you didn't.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Like Marty said - the immobilizer (passive system) with a key chip is standard on any tC. The $500 alarm is supposed to add a shock sensor/glass breakage sensor and some stuff like courtesey lights, etc. Oh, and visually you should have an LED next to the power mirror switch that blinks when the alarm is armed. (That's besides the one on the center console with a car icon and a key - everybody has it).

Try tapping the glass when the alarm is armed - it should go off at some point - depends on the sensitivity setting. When I had this kind of Toyota alarm on my Matrix - kicking the front wheel (pretty hard) would aslo set off the shock sensor.

Check that and if you have these things - then ask for the manual from your dealer. If not - ask for $500 back.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I was able to track down the installation instructions for this security system (like if I bought it myself) and did the check list at the end. It is indeed an active alarm but it doesn't chirp or anything when arming or disarming... you just get the flashes.

The horn goes off if people try to break the glass or open the door without disarming the system, although mine is not terribly sensitive as it took quite a bit of coaxing to get it to go off by tapping the glass.

I didn't get a manual for the alarm from the dealer and frankly, he was misinformed about the situation as well since he told me that I only had a passive system even when I showed him the window sticker with the $469 option.

Oh well, at least I know what I have now.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I'm happy they did not try to hose you... "Misinformed"... what is he getting paid for?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Oh, one other major reason Scion Security might be inferior to quality aftermarket alarms -- thanks to zoltiz for pointing this out to me awhile back -- is that Scion Security uses the horn as the alarm noise. The horns in most cars (including the tC) are right in front of the radiator...right behind the grille. It would be a snap for a car thief with any experience to disable them. Most aftermarket security systems have a separate siren or horn which is mounted somewhere within the engine compartment. If you have a well-hidden hood pin, so that the alarm goes off if the hood is opened while the alarm is armed, you're in good shape. Sure, the alarm could still be defeated, but it's much more difficult.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, they never gave me a manual for the security system either. I kept going into the dealership to ask for one and they kept saying that they were ordering it. It ended up taking longer then the time I waited to get my car. They finally had to photo copy it for me.

Nothing special to the system. Overpriced, but nothing I can do now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.