Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
What can you afford? These 2 cars are completley different. You could buy the tC with half the money it would take to buy an STI. If you have the money and you want to go fast safely, go with the STI. But if you want a quick sporty car that is great for the cheap price, get the tC. Honestly the tC looks BETTEr IMHO; of course the STI has a more agressive look; but I think the tC is ehh..has a nice look to it.

I don't really think these 2 cars are comparable. go with what you want, it is your money. the tC can go fast; but you'd have to put more money into it. Probably still coming outl esss than an STI base price. not underwarrenty though, unless you supercharge. That is not going to get you going STI speeds though.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
If price is no object, and if you want a much faster car with superb handling but a cheap feel, nasty roof-high spoiler, and known reliability issues, choose the WRX STi. If you want a great value and a fun little car with a nice ride, pretty nice handling that can easily be changed to pretty darn good, a great look, and top-notch reliability, choose the tC.

·
Registered
6,498 Posts
Maybe I am.

Seriously, though, if you're going to enter rallies with your car (and 99.9% of people are not), the WRX STi is far superior in terms of performance. If you're obsessed with speed and willing to sacrifice things to get it, then the WRX STi might make more sense for you, although I can't understand the attitude that would make someone think it's a good ide ato spend twice as much on a car that's less reliable. That's just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
There's so many better cars in the 35k price range, if you ask me. You could buy a Nissan 350z, an Infinity G35, or even a Lexus IS350 for that price (or maybe a little more), just to name a few. To each his own, I suppose... but if I were about to drop that much money on a car, I wouldn't be buying a Subaru. I just saw a G35 in town earlier today... it's one sweet looking ride for sure - not entirely unlike the tC. I don't know how these vehicles compare to the Subaru as far as performance, but they definitely got it beat in the looks department.

Anyways... I think the tC is definitely a much nicer looking vehicle than the WRX. I'm sure it doesn't compare performance wise, but if you gave me a WRX, I'd turn around and sell it and buy something else. That's me, though... and well, you asked our opinions.

You said the WRX is your dream car... well, then go for it if you can afford it. Buying a new vehicle is no small commitment, and you definitely don't want to be unhappy with your purchase. Good luck making your decision.

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Originally posted by moriarty+Jan 22 2006, 07:39 PM-->QUOTE (moriarty @ Jan 22 2006, 07:39 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-doNna
@Jan 22 2006, 07:24 PM
If I had the money, I'd buy a jet...
well put. [/b]
Your need for speed has to be capped off somewhere since your funds aren't unlimited like some billionaires out there.

So where you cap off the funding, is your final priceline for the vehicle, give or take a few grand you'd like to spend in mods versus a cheaper/more expensive car.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Originally posted by ekafgsr@Jan 22 2006, 07:08 PM
okay, i really like the tc. it's a wonderful car for its price. But, my dream car has always been the WRX sti. i just need some help or opinions to which one i should get.
the formula:

if "A" is the car you can afford
and "B" is the car you want
and "C" is you happiness with your purchase

then

A+B=C

but, if that math doesn't work out. you might want to do a little more research.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Originally posted by doNna@Jan 22 2006, 10:24 PM
If I had the money, I'd buy a jet...
I was watching the Barret-Jackson auction on SPEED the other night. This guy bought this Lotec C1000 for a *steal*. The car was a one-off job comissioned by some rich dude who wanted to have the fastest car in the world. I'm not sure if he acomplished it or not, but it seems very simlar to the McLaren F1. Oddly enough, it cost twice as much as a McLaren to design+build... $2.3 Million. The guy bought it at auction for $200k. I thought that was a pretty good deal for such a unique vehicle.. even though it's kinda ugly.

But yeah... it sorta looks like a jet... or something... sorry, I guess this was way off topic.

Also off topic... I was amazed to see the 1970-ish muscle cars going for $1-2 Million... I figured a few hundred thousand at most. Wow... I wonder if any of our modern cars, the tC and other imports included, will ever sell for that much 30-40 years down the road (if they haven't turned into dust by then)?

Sorry for derailing.
My opinion on the original topic still remains the same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you can afford the STI its almost a no brainer. A ton more power, all wheel drive and people are saying its not reliable but it comes with the same 3/36k warranty every other car comes with and i dont know for sure, but i would guess they probably have some kind of extended warranty option.

Something else to keep in mind though, that i didnt think of when i bought a performance car. Its not just the price of the car, its keeping up with the car. An STI will most likely require premium gas, tC takes the cheap stuff. STI should probably get Mobil 1 oil changes if you want to take care of it properly. New brakes are going to cost more, so will new tires. Everything for the STI will probably cost double what it would for the tC. Have you contacted your insurance company to see how much your rates will change if you buy the STI?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.