Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else think the tC should have a sixth gear?
It really bugs me that the engine is revving so high and is so loud on the highway
esp. since 60-65 is my main speed.

(That's really mony only complaint, that and the cheaply-made sunroof...

(I may seem like a newbie, but I read wayyy more than I post...)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
it doesn't bother me... and i like to go 80 mph.... at that speed im around 3.7 on the tach

·
Registered
542 Posts
i'd like a 6th gear. but mostly so i could get better mileage on the freeway. i drive 70 on the freeway and i havent noticed the engine being loud at all. (mostly i notice the tire noise)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try this -- in a manual-- set cruise @ 60 then speed it up to 65. turn the music off. do you hear a major difference in the sound of the engine? i hear a high-pitched squeal-type noise. i just think a 6th gear would help...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Plissken@Aug 24 2005, 07:21 PM
If you want low rpms for highway speeds in a tC get an auto. I can cruise at 80 with revs at around 3200.
I dont want an auto, they are boring to drive.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
6th gear would not add more than 1-1.5mpg, but I do find myself trying to shift up from 5th every once in a while, even though I've never driven a 6-speed. As far as noise goes - I usually drive 70+ hwy, and already used to the sound of the engine - does not bother me one bit.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I guess after driving my 3 speed no overdrive geo prizm automatic, 5th gear in my tC @ 70+ doesn't bother me at all. And yeah, I did notice how much higher the rpm's are in my car comparred to my buddy with an auto. But you know what, automatics are boring to drive. Gas/Brake/Brake/Gas/Gas/Gas/Brake.. It takes all of the excitment out of driving. I'm sorry, but not being able to pick gears when eating up corners, downshift to save on your brakes (or to piss off tail-gaters[no brake lights
]), use your left leg, use your right arm (don't even give me the old "well I use L, 2, and D".. and your local transmission service store loves you too), need mention, DRIVE THE CAR?! I'm sorry, I just think if you have 2 legs and a working right arm you're insane to get an automatic. It seriously takes the joy out of driving. Don't flame me if you have an auto, you probably have it for one reason or another. But IMO, all of the positivies about driving a standard highly outweight any negatives. What's funny IMO, is that most people who go off about how frustrating it would be to drive a standard either don't know how to drive one, or have never tried
I'd love to show my buddy with the auto tC how to drive my car, but I don't want him getting super depressed after he falls in love with mine, only to have him have to continue paying toyota for his slushbox for another 5+ years.

You get out of your car what you put into it. With an automatic, you don't put in much, just hit the gas and go. Well, you don't get much either. No excitment, no stalls (those are always funny, hehe!), no rolling backwards, I'll stop here. With a standard, you put in more effort, and you get a hell of a lot more out of it. Not to mention, raw power.

I guess the ONLY way i'd EVER consider an automatic for the tC is if I drove like 50+ miles everyday on the highway and REALLY cared that much about an extra MPG or two. I don't even know if I'd still get one then, but I'd at least think about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well i maxed out my tc 128 mph @ 5900 rpms so 6th gear is a welcomed deal. but who drives at those speeds anyways? I think it could use a higher final drive tho and im not sure how itll respond to modding. My only complaint about noise is the sunroof, im hearing high whistleing noises above 70 mph and 80- is my cruising speed so im pretty bothered, i listen to loud music but i love the engine sound.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Originally posted by Alfietcr@Aug 25 2005, 12:25 PM
Well i maxed out my tc 128 mph @ 5900 rpms so 6th gear is a welcomed deal.
127 or 128 is actually the top speed that the speed limiter is set at, so a 6th gear wouldn't allow it to go any faster (unless you removed the limiter). I was gonna try to get to top speed the other day. Got to 105 and my girlfriend freaked out and made me slow down. heh.

I'm just happy with a 5th gear, because I'm coming from a '73 VW Beetle that had a 4 speed manual. heh.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.