Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey wassup guys. i've been driving my tc for about a week now, my odo is at about 400. what i noticed is that the engine is pretty loud at idle. when i'm driving around it seems to be ok but when i'm at a stop and idling, its quite loud. is it just me or does anyone else agree. maybe i'm just used to my v6 accord being so quiet. or maybe because i have a 5speed?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
tC is one of the quietest economy cars out there. You might be hearing the fan, but otherwise - try comparing to a buzzy corolla.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yeah mine is acutally alot quieter than my old honda accord was, I love how quiet it is, people ask me if its running sometimes, other than them hearing my subs and such.

My old honda was not loud loud but it was slightly noisier than the TC. Of course I had turbo and such but hey you know....

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
To my ear, my auto tC is quieter than the auto Accord V6 Coupe I drove last spring. Like zoltiz said, the tC is pretty darn quiet compared to other, similar cars, and this goes double for the auto...

·
Registered
223 Posts
One of the first things I noticed when I took my test drive was how much quieter the tC is than my Impreza. The boxer engines are kinda growly anyway.

I also read in a review somewhere that the tC has more sound deadening material in it than any other Toyota products besides some of the Lexus models. I mentioned that to my sales guy and he said, "Hmm, I didn't know that."

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by Camel@Mar 18 2005, 10:47 AM
One of the first things I noticed when I took my test drive was how much quieter the tC is than my Impreza. The boxer engines are kinda growly anyway.

I also read in a review somewhere that the tC has more sound deadening material in it than any other Toyota products besides some of the Lexus models. I mentioned that to my sales guy and he said, "Hmm, I didn't know that."
That's part of why whatever rattles the tC has are so out of character -- the tC really does have a solid feel to it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i dont get it. is it because mine is a 5-speed. or maybe i didnt break the motor in correctly? maybe its not broken in yet? i've been babying the car. every once in awhile i'd accidentally rev up to 4 or 5 grand while shifting. but thats it. oh and another thing, does it take about a second or two for the motor to start? i'm used to just switching the it on and the motor firing up right away without shaking. i hope nothings wrong with my car.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I think my 5-speed is actually quieter than the V6 Accord I used to drive (Although the V6 sounded much nicer at higher RPMs). Anyway, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by shaking. I would take it to the Service Dept. and have them take a look at it just to see if there's a problem with the car itself or if you're just not used to it.

Maybe lo bux can get in on this?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a 5 spd as well. I think I know what you mean on starting the car, compared to my 2001 volvo it seems you have to hold the key a second longer before its fires. As far as being loud, if your referring to the slight rythmic ticking sound, that's just a normal toyota vaulve sound, my 96 camry used to make almost the same sound. If its anything other than that I'd have it looked at, I almost forget mine is on if its at idle and I'm standing next to it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
are you guys driving with the radio on or off? try driving with no radio at all. also, when the car is idling in neutral, turn down the volume all the way and roll your windows all the way down. listen to the engine. mine sounds like a old loud motor or something. maybe i'm not used to toyota motors or something, i guess i need to find another car to compare to. but i'll take it to the dealer to check out and see whats up. i checked the engine bay and noticed the sound came mainly from the header area but then my engine was also shaking a bit, not too much, but just a bit. my 98 av6 even at over 100k miles still does not shake that way. eh.. i hope everything's normal and i'm just paranoid or something.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You might have an exhaust leak. It's a warranty repair. IMHO, the tC is not the quietest of cars, but it isn't bad. The engine is smooth enough, and you should not see noticeable shaking in the engine. It should appear quite static when it is idling. There are a number of possible explanations for this, you really need to take it to the dealer and do a direct A-B comparison with another tC, preferably one sitting on the lot, then they can't say, "they all do that" with a straight face.

Yes, it does make the usual Toyota noises, no they are not valve noises (why do people want to think the valves make noise? There are no pushrods or oil filled lifters, they just DON'T make noise). The sounds I hear are no different than the 4A-GE and 4A-GZE engines I have owned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Originally posted by airswipes@Mar 18 2005, 04:17 AM
hey wassup guys. i've been driving my tc for about a week now, my odo is at about 400. what i noticed is that the engine is pretty loud at idle. when i'm driving around it seems to be ok but when i'm at a stop and idling, its quite loud. is it just me or does anyone else agree. maybe i'm just used to my v6 accord being so quiet. or maybe because i have a 5speed?
loud is good. you want to hear where to shift.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I hear the same sound. Its horrible and it never did it before. It sound like a peice of crap. The dealership always says its normal. BS it wouldnt be normal to them if it was their car. I hear ticking noises, and it gets louder and faster as i drive. The tC is a horrible car and gives me nothing but problems. Thats what you get I guess when you buy a cheap car. Im thinking about selling it. Let someone else deal with its problems.

FLaVaZ

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Do owners of other vehicles whine as much as new tC owners? I mean, "My engine is ticking" or "my hatch rattles" invariably equals "I'm thinking about selling this piece of crap". Is it that the complainers are in ther first ride, bought on someone else's dime, so they have no base of comparison, and are therefore just more whiny than the average?

I drove a del Sol for a number of years-- and it didn't earn it's "del Soak" nickname for nothing. It leaked. Roof leaked, trunk leaked, doors leaked-- constant maintenance was required to avoid a soaked driver's seat and a pool forming in the trunk. I don't think I ever once complained about it, or even thought about selling it. I just kept a towel in the car, applied the silicone grease 3-4 times a year, and took the bad right along with the good.

The incessant whining is just really starting to grate on me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.