Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Sure, that's the first thing you need to do. 9mph extra is your only problem, right?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Never been in a top speed race, eh? I wouldn't even consider it in the tC, and I won't touch it in the Supra without pulling the TRAC fuse first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well I'm thinking of road racing, drag aint exactly my thing, thats why i feel as if 127 mph seems a little on the slow side, judging by the weight of the TC it sounds like it'd be a great track car aside from the macpherson strut design, but it would be sad if i was able to corner well and get a lead and get passed on the straight because i'm hitting my speed limiter

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Like I said before - do you think 9mph will save you? You will run out of gears at 136mph. That's 5th gear redline. So why bother?

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
If you plan on taking the final drive gears out of the Camry gearbox (3.933 vs. 4.235 for the tC), you will get 150.3 mph at 6248 rpm on 245/40/17s, 0.6 mph less on OEM size tires. Redline is 6250. However, this is much easier said than done. the pinion gear is cut on the output shaft, so you'll have to play mix n' match, or you'll need to just replace the tC gearbox with the Camry unit. Because the pinion gear is part of the output shaft, it isn't possible to just swap final drive gears. We've already looked at this...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Yep, he is right, I am looking for a busted case camry tranny myself and hoping the parts are ok that I need:)

Or I raise the rev limiter and delete the speed govener. Since I want a car I can actually drive decently I do not want to mess with a stand alone computer, just to many headaches to get it right.

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by peglegskier@Aug 26 2005, 01:21 PM
any chance of giving the tC a 6th gear to increase top speed and acceleration?
Top speed is horsepower limited, and an even greater overdrive gear will only drop rpm at speed. 160 hp isn't going to take the tC all that fast. It won't help acceleration at all unless you redesign the rest of the gearing (which wouldn't be bad at all). So, while I agree the gearbox could use some help, it doesn't need a sixth gear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.