Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody,

imho tc is a real nice-looking car, though it looks like a collage of already seen somewhere elements...

so i thought to try to find the origins of tC's design, what served as inspiration to designers (not to say where did they rip smth off
)

tell me what you think, and add your ideas...

here's what i got so far.

front light "eyebrow" is familiar from new bmw 5th series:
tc

and bimmer

rear light design and stoplight/rear gear light (however you call it...) proporsions seemed VERY similar to hyundai tiburons':
tc

and tiburon

profile of the sidewindows, and also overall length/hood length/height proporsions reminded of acura rsx:
tc

and acura

front end is similar to volvo s40:
tc

and new volvo s40

also, somewhere on this forum (under user's pics of their cars, if i'm not mistaken) somebody posted pics of the interior of their tc next to interior of nissan 350z, if somebody remembers who it was we could add these to this topic as well...

·
Registered
999 Posts
Why do I sense a subliminal message behind all this?

Your rear light and front nose theory, I think, is flawed. S40 has its nose sticking out, making it boxy and fugly. Although the tC also boxes, its a smooth curve, technically not a nose.

tC has rear lights more like the Sentra. Whoopie!

As for sidewindows, I'm sure its common. Sidewindows is my last concern about looks.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hm. i didn't realise that it would sound like it had a "subliminal message behind it".
sorry about that...

seriously, i like the car myself a lot too, it was just my subjective idea of it's looks...

didn't want to hurt somebody's feelings. and in this case - my idea was that if sentra lights were more similar, you'd share it with me or smth, so i'd know too...

ah well, didn't turn out interesting to other people, then didn't, what can you do

peace

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Interesting that you took the time to get the pics and do this. I agree with the tail lights, however, prefer not to associate anything on the tc with hyundai... and the windows... i think the windows on all 2 door cars are just about a carbon copy of every other one out there... but I do see how you drew that connection... Cool post man!

·
Registered
167 Posts
hey water, know what, i use rsx when i play nfsu... coz it resembles the tc so much...
welcome to the site man... your post is very interesting... it's new and original... so if ever you have another one... please do post... coz i think people are running out of them... we need new people with fresh ideas...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JackerCrack

yeah, when i played nfsu, i used rsx too... btw, do you guys know when nfsu2 is coming out? I see that you can preorder it already on EA site, but it doesn't give the actual release date ('cause after release it will be shared on emule within a week and then within couple of days i start playing it too.. hhehe)...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Actually, I like the tC and the S40 do have a pretty similar face/nose (at least, from the pictures in this thread they do).

Good call on the resemblances, water!

(My boyfriend has a RSX-S and he said it reminds him ALOT of his car!)

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Like someone else said, I don't see the resemblance with the S40 -- given that the S40 is ugly and the tC is hot...

I also don't really see much more than a very general resemblance to the RSX...but I do see the BMW headlights and even the Tiburon taillights...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cool post water, and just for the record i do see the resembalce on all the comparison, i don't think its a "copy" thing , as much as "modern style" one of my freind's actuly thought it was an RSX.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tfd666

yeah, i don't think myself really that they (designers) really tried to "copy" any elements, it just turned out kinda that way...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Originally posted by water@Sep 14 2004, 11:09 AM
tfd666

yeah, i don't think myself really that they (designers) really tried to "copy" any elements, it just turned out kinda that way...
yup.....that what i'm sayin'
again cool post.....

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I would have to say that the front grille resembles the skyline gt-r34

·
Registered
999 Posts
I think there is no comparison with the Skyline at all. I mean you can say it has the same shape, but overall no. Eh.. I don't see why everyone likes the Skyline. With the price that you can get one over to the states (converted and all) I'd be rolling in a M5.

The Hyundai Elantra has similar looking headlights as the Skyline.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1funkyfreshdj

hm. i couldn't see any resemblanse. could you find a pic to illustrate your opinion? imo skyline's hood is much lower and longer than tC's, and the front end looks sharp, as opposed to roundish front of tC...
thanks for the opinion though

SilverX

yeah, M5 rocks!
have you seen the commercial bmw made for m5? check it out here http://usa.bmwfilms.com/clap.asp?template=...y=usa&film=star

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
phungy
indeed so. i wonder how much did they pay all the famous directors to make the little films... prolly smth outrageous... unless directors took it as an interesting project for their own resume

i was a bit dissapointed with the latest ones though, not only because they all featured z4 (which i don't like that much) but 'cause it's getting a little too similar to stuff they already had in the first season...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts