Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to park my tC outside. As it now sits, it is under an oak tree. So I bought a tC cover. Am quite impressed with it. Nice construction and is fitted with the mirrors.

Should keep the car cleaner longer as well. I am not a great believer in using these covers, but sometimes, the parking situation is made more tolerable. Good cover though!!

Dan

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmm... thanks for the info. I was honestly considering a car cover until I heard that it can scratch your car. Can you please update us a month down the road on whether it left scratches on yours or not?? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
I was thinking about getting it too, then thought about the scratch factor & realized that I'm too lazy to put it on and take it off every day

for the price of the cover, I could park in the garage at work for a while. For now, I'm just taking spots that aren't covered by trees, so I don't get sap or bird droppings on my car

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Since I don't have a garage, a car cover was the first purchase I made. I make a habit to California Car Duster it before covering it, as well as when I take it off. So far a month later, no scratches I've noticed.

Of course, it hasn't been that windy here yet, and I'm a little concerned about the crazy wet winter. Don't know what I'm going to do then, because storing a wet car cover in my trunk doesn't sound all that appealing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I too was considering this option, I have a garage, but travelling could prove to put a cover to use!! I was just curious if it was fitted, any pics of the cover on??

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
The car cover is very fitted and has a Scion logo and plastic window in the back to show your license plate through.

Its been used extensively since I bought mine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
thanks for all the info.

mine is gonna be parked under the redwood trees, though there are plans to have them cut down... so not sure, which will happen first - the car to be bought or the trees to be gone... hehh

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As Wolo mentioned, proper use of a dust mop helps minimize the scratching, epecially with a nice fitted cover such as this.

I don't use it when it rains, more so because of the burden of putting it on and removing it while wet.

I don't use it during the day at work, but at home, I have to park in the end of the drive way under an oak. Those oak leaves are death on a car finish. As well, bits and pieces of acorns dropped by squirrels get in the grill, and acorns falling from 100 ft + can do a small number on the finish. As well, due to the design of the roof, I get acorn bits in pieces in the channels around the two glass panels. What a mess! In the spring, the tassles can get in to the air intake grill and continue to be blown into the cabin months after they have dropped.

Essentially, I use it in the fall and in the spring where damage from other stuff is more worrisome than a few micro scratches that you will reduce during the next waxing.

Sometimes, you parking situation is better suited for a cover than others.

Cheers!

Dan

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by J&J flinTc@Sep 12 2004, 06:36 PM
it the cover water proof??? or just a dust cover type??
Scion claims there is some water resistance. That will diminish over time. Just count on it as not being waterproof.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hmm...about the California Car Duster...

I use a small one for my interior but was worried about getting one for the exterior. Can't it scratch the vehicle as you're dusting things away?

I've washed my car at least once a week since I've owned it because the dust is pretty bad here in the valley...but if the duster would work that would save me tons of money and time washing my car (and would probably help my wax job last longer too).

Has anyone had any problems with the California Duster messing up the finish?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by LoopyLady_1@Sep 14 2004, 09:02 AM
Has anyone had any problems with the California Duster messing up the finish?
It is supposed to be used with a light touch. I used it on a Z3 and never saw much in terms of damage -- and that car had an excellent finish. Just lightly run it over and shake it out often. The hardest part is keeping your balance so you don't hit the finish with the plastic handle.....

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts