Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying I know that the tc is supposed to be a car marketed towards the crowd who wants to accessesorize and customize their car, and I'm not trying to flame on anyone, but I for one think most if not all of the TC factory installed accessories are very RICY. Again, not trying to put anyone down, but the pedestal spoiler looks fruity, the fog lights seem to rice up the nose of the car (one of the most attractive features), the door sills look nice but are overpriced, the OBX shift nob and pedals are CHEAP, all the TRD stuff is just OKAY, but way way way overpriced, the factory sub is a joke, and basically everything else is run of the mill overpriced ricer stuff. I know people want to individualize and customize their cars, but that is really what the aftermarket is there for. OEM parts and accessories are just that, original equipement, stock, generic looking parts made cheaply to capitalize on the people who want to customize. Plus, if you buy an OEM part, you're not that original or unique are you, because of the hundreds of other people who bought the exact same part from the dealer. I got my tc in november, back when there weren't that many on the road...now I drive around and see all these tc's with all the same factory installed accessories and mods (ie.fog lights, pedestal spoiler), it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. If you just want to put stuff on your car to flash it up, then by all means, go the OE route, but if you truly want a unique, customized tc, then look into aftermarket parts, the pricing is the same, and you won't have that "stock look" like every other tc out there. Sorry if I offended anyone, just rambling on here...comments??

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
you are totally entitled to your opinion. thing is, there isnt anything unique any more. look at it this way - when we used to build street rods, we used mostly tried and tested routes and parts. the narrowed ford 9" rear end. the camaro or nova front clip. the staple engine is the chevy 350. b&m blowers and shifters. kong heads. engle cams. magnaflow exhausts. its aftermarket. but it didnt make your rod unique. everybody uses engle cams. aside from custom body work, paint, or the like - its all been done before. someone out there runs the same set of goldline springs i do. has the same magnaflow exhaust. your car is not as unique as you think it is.
i'm sticking to this theory - the only thing that makes your car unique is you. if the factory pedestal spoiler works for you, thats what matters. if you think the interior lights are ricey, thats cool, too. if the new taillights complete the look of your tC, get them. and i for one will high five you. as long as you love what you have done, its as unique as it needs to be.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Although we've had our disagreements, I hear you inevitablegod. I was kind of trying to say I think the manufacturer is exploiting us because they know we want to customize, so they quickly come up with some poorly designed parts and ridiculously overprice them to make a profit off us. I guess for people who don't have access to a customs shop and distributor/wholesaler prices, the OEM stuff works, but I still think all that stuff looks too factory, which pretty much contradicts the whole concept of customizing...you know what I mean?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, i understand what you are saying completely. and parts for your car from the dealer certainly isnt the end of all things. for those who are into it, the aftermarket is teh place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so let me understand you here you don't think dealer installed parts are any good and Factory back accessories are a bad idea. Sorry but I don't follow. I would think everyone would want to have the factory to back the parts they're gonna buy anyway but now they can't void the warranty because of em. Keep in mind when you buy the parts at the time of purchase you are also paying for installation not just a part. If you're a D.I.Y.er then you can find the parts cheaper online from places like www.trdsparks.com . Aftermarket stuff is cool but you're still buying something that everyone else is buying as well. But like plissken said if you don't like em don't buy em.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it just seems that the oem stuff is kind of basic and generic. nothing really creative that i've seen. FYI I haven't done any mods to my car that would void the warranty. And when I put in my strut bar, short shifter, intake and other various goodies, that wont neccessarily void the warranty either. I'm a DIYer and the aftermarket is so vast that the chances you're going to have the same mods as another tc owner are much less than if you have factory/oem parts. not that it really matters, but I thought the whole theme of scion was customization, creativity, and originality. I just dont want to be in a group of individuals, you know what I mean. Individualization is mine thing, maybe its not everyones, thats fine, just posting my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
7,429 Posts
for most people the oem options and accessories are great.

you seem to be part of the 2% of people who want more than that.

if you run oem options or truely aftermarket parts, the idea is the same. teh difference is the delivery. and you gotta admit for the average person the oem stuff looks good no matter what.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I guess I am the ultimate sucker. I bought the RS 1.0 which has a vast assortment of ricey bits bolted on it. I bought because I wanted to be different from other tC owners and the limited quantity was really attractive to me. But I was sold on the fact that my tC would make an excellent blank canvas. I do have a lot of OEM accessories on my car. I feel that they complete the exterior nicely. The only parts that are going to go on are for performance.

I guess my point is this. You are as unique as you think you are.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
remember, you are unique.

just like everyone else.

its a pointless journey, the one towards "ultimate originality".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.