Scion tC Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting ready to do my 1st oil change. I just hit 2000 miles and I figure changing it early can't hurt.

Does anyone else run Synthetic Oil? Is it worth the xtra cashiesh? Any Suggestions on a type?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I think there are a couple of people who use synthetic but Toyota doesn't recommend it & if something happens to your engine... your warranty could be voided.... so says my local dealership.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Originally posted by onefunkyfreshdj@Feb 24 2005, 04:01 AM
I think there are a couple of people who use synthetic but Toyota doesn't recommend it & if something happens to your engine... your warranty could be voided.... so says my local dealership.
Your warranty will not be voided as long as you synthetic you use meets the specs outlined in the owners manual. Most new synthetics exceed those easily. Make sure that you also do not extend the oil change intervals outlined in the service book. That is the only thing that they can get you for for non-compliance with the warranty. While Toyota does not recommend the synthetics...I would not either if I was them...their engines are good for 200,000 miles ...as it is, they do not say that their use voids the warranty. I have checked at my dealer. They will talk all around the issue, but the bottom line is minimum specs and intervals. If the side of the bottle says it meets the specs outlined in the manual...the viscosity is proper....and you change it at least as often as required...there will be no problem. If anyone can give real evidence otherwise, I would like to know the source.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well I have heard that on new engines that you shouldn't use synthetic because if I remember correctly something about piston slip or something....maybe lo bux can help a little?

·
Registered
272 Posts
like its been said as long as it meets API standards and you change it often enough they cant hassle you over synthetic oil. My personal preference has always been Mobil 1

times you should NOT use synthetic.
when your engine has over 100k miles, synthetic has a tendency to free up deposits and gunk, and on motors that old (engine condition considering) that gunk will be holding seals together.

during break in...synthetic oils suspend particles while conventional oil lets them sink, during break-in the shavving from bearing and rings will be stratified in the oil and more easily recirculated.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by ZEROmotorsports@Feb 24 2005, 08:20 AM
like its been said as long as it meets API standards and you change it often enough they cant hassle you over synthetic oil. My personal preference has always been Mobil 1

times you should NOT use synthetic.
when your engine has over 100k miles, synthetic has a tendency to free up deposits and gunk, and on motors that old (engine condition considering) that gunk will be holding seals together.

during break in...synthetic oils suspend particles while conventional oil lets them sink, during break-in the shavving from bearing and rings will be stratified in the oil and more easily recirculated.
The break-in thing is a myth. Corvettes get filled with Mobil 1 from the factory and they have no break-in issues. Everything else ZERO said is on the mark for warranty.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by onefunkyfreshdj@Feb 24 2005, 04:01 AM
Some advice...find a new dealership.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
my service shop advisor is my link to amsoil. so the warranty issue myth should be put to rest. is it worth the extra cash? i believe in synthetic from what i have seen. i run synth in my tC, my brother's tacoma 4x4, and my VFR750.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
i wish i could keep track of my mileage, but i suck at it. i never remember to keep track. i just know i put my foot in it all the time, so it probably sucks a bunch.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
My '88 GTS Corolla got a 7% increase in mileage after I put Red Line MTL in the transaxle and Red Line 10w-30 in the engine. I suspect the same thing will happen with my tC, but I think just like ZERO. Free oil change? You bet. When they're gone, then I'll go synthetic. At the rate I'm going now, it won't be too much longer. I'm at almost 7k since October.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
FYI, you can use the free oil change and just pay a little extra for synthetic or semi-synthetic. That's what I did last time...and actually, they took so damn long that I got the semi-synthetic and the tire rotation for free.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I stupidly brought my own oil one time when I needed to do an oil change on my Supra but didn't have time to do it myself. I got 6 empty Red Line bottles, so they overfilled the oil, and to top it off, the oil coked in less than 5k miles. I have NEVER seen Red Line oil coke, so I'm pretty confident someone just filled it up with the usual Pennzoil instead of the Red Line I gave them.

I'm still too pissed for words about that.

The Scion gets the free oil changes with the free oil, then it's all about me doing it and probably the bypass filter so I only have to do it annually.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would switch to synthetic if I were you. If you are going to do it, don't wait until your car has high miles on it (doubt anyone in here will have to worry about that
)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took my car to the dealership for it's first oil change at 3k and had them put mobil 1 synthetic in it. It was about $11 extra for the oil I believe. The dealership didn't suggest synthetic... something about non-synthetic oil keeps the engine cleaner or something, but I've never heard anything bad about synthetic and the tC is my first new car so I plan to do everything right to make it last longer than as long as possible. The tranny also has synthetic in it (had a grinding problem in cold temperatures when I bought the car so they swiped out the tranny fluid with synthetic). So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
so... i take from the consensus of everyone that synthetic is the way to go?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
For maximum service life of your engine, yes. If you plan on selling the car in 5 years or less than 100k miles, it's not worth the extra money.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
and correct me if im wrong... but once you start using synthetic, you have to keep on using it?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.