Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cold first to second grind is becoming a problem once again, not just in cold weather but when hard shifting takes place. I just passed 20k on the tC and I'm gonna replace the transmission oil. It currently has 75W 90 Synthetic. I've noticed everyone here has been using MT 90 or MTL, but a friend of mine who owns an S2k is highly recommending the Syncromesh, and I wanted to know if anyone here is using that and how their results are coming along. I know the tC and the S2k are far from close to each other, but if I was to use the synchromesh, I just wanted to get a little more feedback from someone using it that owned a tC.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You mean Royal Purple Synchromax? AFAIK, no one on this list is using RP in their transaxle. If anyone is, they haven't mentioned it.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Got a link to a description? I've never heard of it. Is that what they run in the Corvette Tremec?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 tC and I'm having the exact same problem with difficult shifting from 1st to 2nd when it's cold outside. My car has been in Lewisville Toyota's service for almost 2 weeks and the problem has not yet been found. Do you know of others who have this same problem?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I have the exact same problem... once i've been driving for about 10-20 minutes it goes away so I think it is the oil and not the transmition, that is also what I have heard on this site.

-Eric

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same issue in my 06... it only has about 2800 miles... haven't changed the trans oil and it does go away. Maybe the oil has to reach a certain temp and this model car is just real sensitive???

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I have Mobil1 75W90 synthetic gear lube in mine for the last 10K or so - it did feel smoother first, but now, even in ~30F mornings it's stiff as a board, and I've been very nice to it for the last 500 miles breaking the clutch in...

No idea what to do with it. Redline time?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Feb 28 2006, 12:31 PM
I have Mobil1 75W90 synthetic gear lube in mine for the last 10K or so - it did feel smoother first, but now, even in ~30F mornings it's stiff as a board, and I've been very nice to it for the last 500 miles breaking the clutch in...

No idea what to do with it. Redline time?
Check your bottle of gear lube. If it say EP, then you've found the root of your problem. Most gear lubes are not suitable for transaxles because they contain sulfur-based EP (extreme pressure) additives for hypoid differentials. The reason it is bad is because these same additives cause your synchros to slip when they are supposed to brake.

Some guys add some Type F ATF to their transaxles to get the synchros to work better. I would recommend finding a transaxle/transmission specific oil that doesn't contain EP additives. Red Line MTL or MT-90 is one choice, but there are others like Royal Purple's Synchromax (which some people have used very successfully in transaxles).

Just be sure it isn't a differential gear oil.

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
Yes i have the Royal Purple and i like it very much. Shifting is smoother. But this is also because i switched out my clutch and flywheel at the same time. Wich by the way i am very happy with my Fidanza Flywheel.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Taking the car in around lunch today - this morning it refused to go in first at all. Took almost a minute of messing with the clutch and easing my way in... Once I started moving it got a little better, but every light was a battle. I don't think I'll want a warranty-less car any time soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.