Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know that it I pull the stock head unit w/ iPod connectivity with an aftermarket pioneer one, will I be able to keep the iPod stuff in the center console? The headunit sucks and I'm trying to put in subs, but I really don't want to have to buy the iPod crap all over again or lose the area that it's in...

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by kingross@Jan 23 2006, 10:19 AM
use the search button bitch
It's his first post.... go a little easy on him.... instead of cussin him out... explain why or how, maybe he doesn't know.... I had no idea how to use the search button the first three months I was here

·
Registered
413 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jan 23 2006, 04:56 AM
You will have to buy a new iPod adapter for any aftermarket HU you buy.
That depends. I use the aux in connected via a standard 2.5mm cable to my iPod headphone jack and that would work with any head unit that has an aux in. Of course I have to control the iPod manually as opposed to through the stereo but that doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Originally posted by onefunkyfreshdj+Jan 23 2006, 07:26 AM-->QUOTE (onefunkyfreshdj @ Jan 23 2006, 07:26 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-kingross
@Jan 23 2006, 10:19 AM
use the search button bitch
It's his first post.... go a little easy on him.... instead of cussin him out... explain why or how, maybe he doesn't know.... I had no idea how to use the search button the first three months I was here [/b]
its my brother- i had to do it

·
Registered
252 Posts
Originally posted by brownfield@Jan 23 2006, 03:14 AM
Does anyone know that it I pull the stock head unit w/ iPod connectivity with an aftermarket pioneer one, will I be able to keep the iPod stuff in the center console? The headunit sucks and I'm trying to put in subs, but I really don't want to have to buy the iPod crap all over again or lose the area that it's in...
Just out of curiosity, why do you feel the OEM Pioneer deck sucks and the aftermarket Pioneer better? Pioneer makes crappy decks for their biggest customers and keeps the good stuff for the tiny percentage of their business the aftermarket brings in? Is there some new type of AC Voltage that feeds the amplifier signals that they keep only for the aftermarket division? Seems silly to me. The worst thing about the Scion deck is the built in DSP, but it's not an issue if you only want to add a subwoofer.
If you feel your Pioneer deck that integrates perfectly into the dash and offers iPod connectivity is a POS, I'll trade you the deck for whatever cable you'll need for your new, nifty aftermarket deck.
In my opinion, aftermaket decks are a lateral move at best in performance and have terrible ergonomics and cosmetics.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with ya there, JLTD. The $140 aftermarket Pioneer deck with cheap aftermarket speakers (and no tweeters) I had in my Corolla sounded better than the stock tC deck.

And as for your reasoning, it stands to reason that a manufacturer like Pioneer would make its OEM decks just good enough to satisfy the car manufacturer but no better. Otherwise, they would be cutting into their own aftermarket sales.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Jan 23 2006, 09:29 AM
Sorry, but I'm going to have to disagree with ya there, JLTD. The $140 aftermarket Pioneer deck with cheap aftermarket speakers (and no tweeters) I had in my Corolla sounded better than the stock tC deck.

And as for your reasoning, it stands to reason that a manufacturer like Pioneer would make its OEM decks just good enough to satisfy the car manufacturer but no better. Otherwise, they would be cutting into their own aftermarket sales.
You're not familiar with manufacture. As far as your comparrison, it needs to be controlled. You can't compare a Corrolla sytem to a Scion system that are many variables that can come into play. Musical signal is AC voltage and voltage is voltage no matter where you get it.
I have kept my OEM deck, defeated the dreaded DSP and added a most righteous aftermarket system. At best, my system will sound the same if I put any aftermarket deck in it.
To equal the performance of using the speaker level outs of the OEM deck, you'll need to spend big time on an aftermarket deck (balanced outputs, high voltage swing between + and -).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so yeah... i just went ahead and got one of the new alpine decks taht just came out... and i wanted an aftermarket headunit for RCA outputs... plus i have Infinity component speakers in my car so i don't want the OEM head unit's distortion to #### up the speakers after a while

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.