Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finished the suspension install today, and I have encountered a problem. For some reason when at LOW speeds there is a sound of like metal v plastic or plastic v plastic rubbing/clanking going on. When I first heard it I thought it was my keychain hitting the steering wheel column, but after holding that still I could still hear it. I ONLY hear it when I'm going ~20mph or under, after that it disappears. It can't be heard from the outside, only from the inside.

Anyone got ideas? The only part of the suspension that we did today was the back and rear-sway bar. Any help before I run it to the dealership or have some big mishap occur would be splendid.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the rear.... I'm thinkin dealership visit at opening

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We did the back springs/shocks as well as rear-sway bar. So it could be either...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had a similar situation.

My guess is that its the bolt at the top of the strut tower. It wasn't life threatening, just needed to be tightened.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yup, re-torque all the bolts that you touched.

I had a clank after my springs install, but it was from the front - looked like front swaybar link was not tight enough - when I got it up on alignment machine we bounced the car up and down till I found the culprit and fixed it right there.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
check your lower shock towers bolts. hopefully they were tightened from the bolt side of it, not the nut side. if not, torque to 103 on the bolt side. when that bolt is loose, the bottom of that shock tower will make a clanking noise inside the bracket it sits in.

edit : you wont be able to tell while there is weight on the suspension.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welp, went to the Toyota dealership here in Auburn today and they are refusing to do ANY warranty service to my car. I have a appointment setup for this Saturday at the dealership where I bought my car and they'll take a look at it and everything.

Too bad I don't live in cali so you guys could help me out

*EDIT*
Zoltiz, if I'm still having the prob when I'm in atlanta next do you mind having a look-see?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
How is that they are refusing to do any warranty work? WTF? I bought my car 50 miles from home and had it serviced 300 miles from home - any toyota dealer is supposed to be fixing it... Hmm.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They wouldn't service it unless I payed them... $50 for them to "look" at it, and $125/hr for any problems fixed. For a car still under warranty, that's utter bullshit.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Obike@Jan 10 2005, 06:35 PM
They wouldn't service it unless I payed them... $50 for them to "look" at it, and $125/hr for any problems fixed. For a car still under warranty, that's utter bullshit.
Best they can do is $50 diag fee to determine if it's a warranty issue - if it is, then you get your $50 back, otherwise - the diag fee goes towards labor charges.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
hope that gets sorted out. we dropped sweepea's tC today, and put in a sway bar. went smooth as silk until my brother was tightening down the right front wheel. last lug. snap. wheel stud.

this is why we cant have nice things.

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz+Jan 10 2005, 04:31 PM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Jan 10 2005, 04:31 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Obike
@Jan 10 2005, 06:35 PM
Best they can do is $50 diag fee to determine if it's a warranty issue - if it is, then you get your $50 back, otherwise - the diag fee goes towards labor charges. [/b]
Hmmm... interesting. The service manager specifically said they wouldn't warranty the car and I'd be paying for it out-of-pocket.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Originally posted by Obike+Jan 10 2005, 11:48 PM-->QUOTE (Obike @ Jan 10 2005, 11:48 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2005, 04:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Obike

Best they can do is $50 diag fee to determine if it's a warranty issue - if it is, then you get your $50 back, otherwise - the diag fee goes towards labor charges.
Hmmm... interesting. The service manager specifically said they wouldn't warranty the car and I'd be paying for it out-of-pocket. [/b]
And his argument was? It's a toyota, isn't it? Below 36K, right? WTF?

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz+Jan 10 2005, 08:52 PM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ Jan 10 2005, 08:52 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2005, 04:31 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Obike

Hmmm... interesting. The service manager specifically said they wouldn't warranty the car and I'd be paying for it out-of-pocket.
And his argument was? It's a toyota, isn't it? Below 36K, right? WTF? [/b]
Which is why I'm confused and filed a complaint.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Originally posted by Obike@Jan 9 2005, 10:28 PM
Well I finished the suspension install today, and I have encountered a problem. For some reason when at LOW speeds there is a sound of like metal v plastic or plastic v plastic rubbing/clanking going on. When I first heard it I thought it was my keychain hitting the steering wheel column, but after holding that still I could still hear it. I ONLY hear it when I'm going ~20mph or under, after that it disappears. It can't be heard from the outside, only from the inside.

Anyone got ideas? The only part of the suspension that we did today was the back and rear-sway bar. Any help before I run it to the dealership or have some big mishap occur would be splendid.
Another install job ended up with the same noise. After two days of looking, it turned out that the sway, that everyone thought was tightened, wasn't. It was moving slightly only at low speeds and usually when pulling out or making any kind of turn. If you haven't found it yet, I would start there. Hope that helps.

Ken

·
Registered
427 Posts
Don't over torque those sway bolts! I had to replace the 'arm' that holds the sway in place because they overtorqued it.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Jan 10 2005, 08:22 PM
hope that gets sorted out. we dropped sweepea's tC today, and put in a sway bar. went smooth as silk until my brother was tightening down the right front wheel. last lug. snap. wheel stud.

this is why we cant have nice things.
Wow...that's more trouble than we had with my reject car...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.