1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Son of Supra
By: editors at Edmunds.com

Date Posted 02-28-2005

Looking for a high-profile sports car to polish its image, Toyota is finishing up development of a Supra successor, code-named project 395.

When you think of exciting Toyota sports cars, one you can't ignore is the lovely 2000 GT featured in the 1967 James Bond film, You Only Live Twice. The new front-engine, rear-drive sports car will even borrow subtle styling cues from that icon.

Our sources suggest Toyota is looking at two distinct versions for production. One will use a 3.5-liter development of the new V6 (introduced in the 2006 Lexus GS 300), making 300 horsepower. The second, higher-intensity model could use the company's 4.3-liter V8, tweaked to give about 350 hp.

Styling features a long front deck and short rear, much like the Mercedes-Benz SLK, BMW Z4 and Honda S2000 that the new Toyota will compete against. We expect it will employ a conventional folding soft top.

Pricing will likely run close to $30,000 for the V6 (to rustle 350Z feathers) and into the low-$40,000 range for the V8. The Supra spirit will rise again!

Source:Edmunds.com

·
Registered
658 Posts
If that thing comes out that will be my next car after the tC or maybe i'll keep the tC and buy the supra. Too bad Nissan, BMW and Hynday ( or whatever ) are coming out with turbocharged cars in late 2006 early 2007. I'm sure Lance know more about those cars more since he is on the GTRforums. From the pic it looks sweet.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
looks like a cross between a solora and a tC to me

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
GTR forums? No, not me. I belong to a few rapidly dying Supra lists that are (OMG!) email lists. This is the only web forum I look at with any regularity.

My sources in Toyota say production of this kind of car is really tearing the company apart internally. They would like to compete with Nissan, but they are fully committed to a "green" future.

No one would be happier to see a new Supra than I would, but with fuel prices going the way they are, they know it is going to be a hard sell. There will be a few of the Supra die-hards who will buy it, but I seriously doubt it would even top the numbers for the MkIV unless they really meet those price points.

Still, IMHO, it has to be an inline 6 to be a Supra. There has never been a Supra with any other engine configuration.

·
Registered
272 Posts
cant say im a huge fan of that pic but...im a huge MKIV fan and unless they just rereleased that with the 2JZ again I wont be happy lol

def with lance that it should be an inline 6,

but from what im hearing, toyotas new sports car will be most likely a hybrid performance car. one of my toyota contacts said "the supra is a strange animal, in the showrooms we couldnt get rid of them, once we stopped producing them the demand went through the roof. they are worth more used than new."

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Interesting quote about the sales performance of the Supra ZERO. I blame SUVs for the death of the beloved Supra, 300z, RX-7 and 3000GT. They all got a little too expensive and fashion/nagging wife dictated that men with 45-60k to spend on a car had to buy something rugged and sensible. The midlife crisis guy of the mid 90s no longer looked at fire breathing two door symbols of machismo. He wanted to be cool. So he bought a tough truck that could go anywhere in the world but would spend all of its life on the pavement. And 10-12 years later that guy has produced a rabid SUV hating kurker.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ignoring whether it would or wouldn't come out and just looking at the picture...

It looks kind of ugly, to me. SRT-4 wheels and...I don't know, I guess I have to see it in real life or the rear end. But so far it doesn't look very supra like to me

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
some spy shots i found....

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I understand how test models work, but the general shape is generally the same. I imagine the taillights will be similar to that, just not that ugly, a little more molded with the corner on the body. I think that i have those same lights on my trailer

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I think most of us don't need to be too worried about it. I've already been told this car will be a Lexus and will be $100k+.

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i kinda like it. and of course lance is right, the price tag is not for me, maybe my dad. but on topic, the back looks retro, and if that spoiler will be on the car, it would be a con on the market.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
Originally posted by hamster+Aug 14 2005, 01:11 AM-->QUOTE (hamster @ Aug 14 2005, 01:11 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-lo bux racer
@Aug 2 2005, 11:39 AM
I think most of us don't need to be too worried about it.  I've already been told this car will be a Lexus and will be $100k+.
could this be it?
pictures
http://www.autoweek.com/files/specials/200...lfa/pages/1.htm
story
http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=101568
comparing the spy shots and the pics on that site, i think they are one and the same. [/b]
I saw that car in a recent Consumer Reports and they called it the new IS... I didn't remember to check how recent the CR was...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.