Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to a friend the other day, and something was brought to my attention. I wanted to install a header prior to installing a supercharger (when available) which would make things easier because it looks like the S/C's shaft will go right over the manifold, anyway, to the point. If you were to install a header WITH the supercharger installed would you lose boost because of the higher flow through the header? Seems sorta logical, don't think it would apply to turbo tho because you get a new manifold anyway. I assume lo bux will shed some knowledge.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No you won't lose boost because the exhaust works better. You will have some interesting boost variation because of the VVTi, but I don't think it will be severe (then again, with a 50 degree variation in opening events with a supercharger, it's hard to say anything for sure).

In a conventional engine, intake timing will have more to do with observed boost than exhaust unless there is a lot of overlap (time when the intake and exhaust valves are both slightly open), then exhaust cam timing will also affect boost.

That's the quick and dirty answer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So would I gain anything from installing a header? seeing as it won't do much harm?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
On a supercharged 1ZZ (matrix, corolla) we got almost 10whp after putting a higher-flowing header in, but on the other hand you should see the tiny stock 1ZZ exhaust manifold...

With the tC - we won't know till we dyno the header with the SC. I probably will stay away from the header upgrade - don't want to mess with emissions on a vehicle under warranty...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeeeeeah, forgot about that emmissions thing! lol. I think I'll end up staying away. ah well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.