Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering getting the supercharger when i get my new tc. I'm really curious to see how much power this things going to make though. Do you think toyota is underestimating the gains to be had with it? only 25% gain is low considering that the hp is only 160. I seem to remember seeing somewhere that max boost will be 5psi. No problem excpet that others are making far more power from 5psi. is it because its not intercooled? Because there are no computer changes involved/no upgraded fuel components.... or mabey all of the above???? id personaly like to see more improvement from this kit.. somewhere in the area of 220-240 hp. What do you seasoned guys think?

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
There are injectors in the picture of the kit, so they are modifying the fuel system.

It might be because they are not intercooling and the boost would be lower if the charge density were greater, but that's speculation.

I think it's a lot more because Toyota is a very conservative company and they want to be certain there are no issues with the install and no changes in the reliability, so they are quoting worst case, not best possible.

As a for instance, they rated my Supra at 320 crankshaft hp. It made 330 at the wheels on a Dynojet dyno with only a light flywheel, and I know of one other that made 340 at the wheels absolutely bone stock. This isn't unusual for Toyota at all, many Supras dyno between 290 and 310 hp bone stock. That's a lot more than 320 crank hp.

Another for instance, the tC is rated at 160 crank hp. With a minimal driveline loss of 14%, that means you should see almost 138 hp at the wheels. I know I've already seen posts with 140+ hp in other Internet forums, so once again, Toyco is being conservative and giving worst case hp numbers. I bet the supercharger kit does a lot better than 200 crank hp (172 whp) on the average tC, and suprisingly more on the "good" ones.

I haven't done baseline dynos on either of my tCs, but the more this comes up, the more tempting it is.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
i will certainly do a baseline dyno before adding the s/c, and one right after. but lance is right, variances on hp are pretty damn common around toyota, and they are pretty conservative when it comes to posting numbers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.