Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,894 Posts
Might wanna allow right-clicking so we can download that PDF.... it's rather large.... I'd rather download it once than have to click and wait and wait and wait for it to load.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Thanks Ken, I see where all the tricks are now. It sure would be nice to get the oil pan separately for turbo applications.

That's a real sneaky pete using a 160 degree thermostat...

Oh, and I don't see how it will be possible for the home installer to reflash the ECM. Would one have to take the ECM to a Toyco dealer to have this done?

I'm also pretty unhappy with Toyco for not giving the rest of the aftermarket the ability to reflash the ECM, but that's another post.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 27 2005, 11:35 AM
Oh, and I don't see how it will be possible for the home installer to reflash the ECM. Would one have to take the ECM to a Toyco dealer to have this done?
yeah, from what i saw on the "this is what you need" dealer memo, it is about a $500 dollar god-dammit we will have to purchase for our shop. i suppose you can buy one, but that isnt very cost effective if you arent doing them regularly.
here's my question - can you take out the ECM and have it reflashed out of the car? if so, wanna install one on my car with me? if i can do it all, and just take the ECM in while my car is in your garage... that would work for me.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
D, I would guess that every dealer got this "memo", because I just went to see my local dealer and they obviously have no idea what they need for install. I called a bigger dealer and they said "no problem, we definitely have the tool for reflashing the ECM". Which they can't have because there is no way they ordered it long time ago. Unless the memo came out months ago and they had a chance to order and receive the tools.

I just really don't want to go to the dealership, drop the car off then get a phone call saying that sorry, your car is all taken apart and we won't be able to finish for another 3 weeks because we don't have any friggin tools".

What is that memo called so I can reference it and make them check the list before I drop the car off?

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
it came in an email. let me see if i can find what you are looking for.

· Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by krdshrk@Sep 27 2005, 10:47 AM
Might wanna allow right-clicking so we can download that PDF.... it's rather large.... I'd rather download it once than have to click and wait and wait and wait for it to load.
Just open it and you can either print it (38 pages) or just save it for later.

Ken

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Sep 27 2005, 12:02 PM
here's my question - can you take out the ECM and have it reflashed out of the car?  if so, wanna install one on my car with me?  if i can do it all, and just take the ECM in while my car is in your garage...  that would work for me.
It appears from the instructions that the ECM is removed to do this. It also takes about 20 minutes according to the instructions. (OK, I did read through the whole thing already). So sure, we can do an install. I just wanted to know if getting reflashed will be no problem.

zoltiz - FWIW, Toyco ECMs started being reflashable a couple of years ago, so it doesn't surprise me at all that a larger dealer would already have the necessary device to reflash one. I seriously doubt the smaller ones would though, unless there was a recall on Corollas or Camrys requiring a reflash, then EVERY dealer would have at least one. Also, if you look on TIS, you'll see they have a stated goal of being able to reflash ALL new car ECMs by 2007.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 27 2005, 03:53 PM
zoltiz - FWIW, Toyco ECMs started being reflashable a couple of years ago, so it doesn't surprise me at all that a larger dealer would already have the necessary device to reflash one. I seriously doubt the smaller ones would though, unless there was a recall on Corollas or Camrys requiring a reflash, then EVERY dealer would have at least one. Also, if you look on TIS, you'll see they have a stated goal of being able to reflash ALL new car ECMs by 2007.
I hoped that would be the case, except the manual mentions TRD communication cable, TRD Data Transfer Device, TRD Download Box, and a Map Module.

AFAIK, all previous TRD blowers came with piggybacks, so this happy family of TRD gadgets could be very very new. And that's what scares me.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I'll take a reflash over a piggyback any day. It fixes the problem at the source instead of trying to fool the ECM into thinking something else is going on. I just wish I had access to the code. Then I'd REALLY be happy!

My bet about the TRD device is it's a heavily stripped down version of the official Toyco tool so if the dealership doesn't have the $8k tool, they can buy the TRD tool for a lot less and get the job done.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
okay, here is what i think i know about it.

the service dept you spoke with may be confused with tools. they will have a scantool or two or three around there, and use those to reflash ECM's for warranty stuff. if the s/c reflash info came in the right program form, it could be used with the scantool via the OBD2 port. however, from what we understand here, there is a seperate tool being produced because the EMC cannot be reflashed using the scantool. that part is not yet available (at least not to us) and wont be until we receive our PANT bulletin with ordering info for the s/c and that very tool.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Ok. So there is no need to rush the with buying the SC because nobody can put it in for me anyway. M-Azing. Are you?

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Hmmm. That contradicts what I read on TIS. Is Toyco confused about this too?

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
i would hope that your local dealer would have the ability to install said unit prior to putting it up for sale, but i dont know. my parts mgr is ordering "everything we will need" at the same time we put in our request for the s/c. they should arrive together, but again, i dont know for sure. this is certainly virgin ground. and toyco could very well be confused. i am just shooting out the data i have so far, and i am digging more into it, as always.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
and the truth shall set you free.

the boys down in San Ramon put one on, took them about 6-7 hours, and they used the scantool. the other part, as confusing as the memo was, is if you are that guy installing them and dont have the scantool. again, lobux pulls the truth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.