Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From here: http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51261

Originally posted by Davo345 at scionlife
Please wait for a Scion Customer Advocate to respond. You are number 1 in queue.
You are now chatting with Bob
Bob: Hi Davo345
Bob: How may I help you today?
davo345: Hello. I was wondering whether or not the official release date for the supercharged tC is April 1st as the rumours dictate?
Bob: We do apologize but the estimated release date for the supercharger for the tC by TRD by the end of the year.. Right now it has been submitted for CARB approval..
davo345: End of the year?! What happened to spring summer? Around what time at the end of the year do you suspect?
Bob: It is before the end of 2005.
Bob: It is currently has been submitted for CARB approval.
davo345: I see. Are the horsepower numbers going to be around 200bhp as suspected?
Bob: Yes it is estimated that the Supercharger for the tC will be around 200 hp.
davo345: Ok, thank you. Hopefully this is the last rescheduling of its release...
Bob: No problem =).... Sorry for the delays..
Is anyone doing an aftermarket SC? This kinda stinks.

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Sounds just like the TRD supercharger for the 1UZ-FE. Delayed forever. CARB approval is a biotch and a half.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Maybe it's a good thing. I might find a better use for $3K after all...

· Premium Member
16,847 Posts
Yeah, it s a bit annoying that California is holding all these aftermarket parts back. I'm all for saving the world but as long as my state says burn away WE should get the cool parts.

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, its about time. I've been wondering why nobody has been giving CARB the finger over all these hold ups. I'm all for breathing cleaner air, but maybe we need to just rely on emissions testing to determine if your car is blowing stinky air. Having an 'Air Resource Board' to approve car parts is almost stupid.

I was talking to one of the parts guys at the local Toyota dealership and he told me that the Governator was trying to get rid of CARB. I havent been able to find any news articles to back it up so at this point, i think it's just a rumor.

It's not like these cars are going to go from ULEV to Gross Polluter with just a supercharger.

Update: found this article: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_...114/ai_n9484117

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Even if they don't call it CARB, there will still be a government air pollution watchdog. Don't get your hopes up. Besides, the restructuring got kicked back hard. There's no way CARB's work will go away, and there's no way emissions standards in California are going to change to a more reasonable standard.

It's funny how the Greens like to paint themselves as liberal progressives, but when you say CARB will "go away" they don't look at the reality (same agency, same people, different name) and say OK, I can see how this could be better. They just scream OHMG! YOU CAN'T DO THAT! Lamerz.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@Mar 11 2005, 04:18 AM
no doubt. like a NOS setup for my VFR.

· Registered
266 Posts
I do not think the SC will ever see the light of day as far as a Scion tC is concerned. It was a good marketing ploy to hype, but when it really has come down to getting it approved and all the redtape that went with it..it was a bit much for the actual number of cars that it will be installed on. I had made up my mind not to get it for the same reason that I did not buy the Corolla S with the hotter engine...premium gasoline required. I also feel Toyota was getting a bit scared of the potential warranty work that may have occured on the pressurized engine. Look at the bright side...if the SC does not see the light of day, we will not be hit by the increased insurance costs that will go across the board on the tC...yes it will hit the SC and the non-SCed as well.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Originally posted by inevitablegod+Mar 11 2005, 01:44 PM-->QUOTE (inevitablegod @ Mar 11 2005, 01:44 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@Mar 11 2005, 04:18 AM
no doubt. like a NOS setup for my VFR. [/b]
I was thinking more like a bigger downpayment for the house.

I'm surprised Ken did not post here. I guess the delay is true.

· Registered
842 Posts
You guys are way too fast, Ken didn't post here because I just found out. I was talking to one of the installers at TRD, who just put a unit on a tC yesterday, and assumed all was well. I gave them the bad news. The story is CARB approval and that will probably take till late fall. Sorry about the bad news. It appears the unit is good and it's ready to go except for the CARB approval. I guess we can all start talking about it again in October. lol

Ken

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Booo to CARB. They are doing everything in their power to make it impossible to modify your powertrain.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
I love how they let the H2's roll around while keeping TRD from adding the SC to the ULEV tC.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
well, it wont matter to the toyota execs at all, but my $3K is going to someone else. i dont give a damn about my warranty, i have a hook-up that bypasses my mods.

i realize that it is CARB holding this up, but f#ck toyota for not allowing for the CARB time before projecting several release dates. its not like CARB snuck up on them. its been a part of the process since how long ago?

· Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.