Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmm... guys/gals... my fiance is telling me not to get a super charger cause he claims it is useless on an automatic... I don't know much about cars so I am turning to you all for help. Is it useless on automatics???

·
Registered
425 Posts
what do you mean by useless?

if you get a supercharger, you will increase your power output on your vehicle regardless of what transmission you have. however, in a manual car, you do have more control of that power, which is probably why he said it would be useless in an automatic (since the computer decides when to shift for you)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by JZA70@Aug 8 2004, 01:22 PM
what do you mean by useless?

if you get a supercharger, you will increase your power output on your vehicle regardless of what transmission you have. however, in a manual car, you do have more control of that power, which is probably why he said it would be useless in an automatic (since the computer decides when to shift for you)
I think he's just jealous... he probably doesn't want me to get one cause he plans on getting one for his manual...

Thanks man..

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
and, if you "sport shift" your automatic manually, you can get a bit more use out of the power. still, it takes a bit of practice and attention to know where the shift points are in an auto to maximize torque. definately NOT useless. the supercharger does wonders for the automatic matrix.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks... I don't sport shift my automatic... cause I don't even know what that means...
I am going to guess... it is when I drive an automatic using the 1, 2, 3, & D manually right??

Anyways... I appreciate everyones input...

·
Registered
936 Posts
in my opinion, having a supercharger on an automatic is not a disadvantage because of the shift points......its because the % of power loss is exagerated and therefore lessens the impact of putting a supercharger on. The car will shift at the same RPM as it would with a manual........so thats not the problem, the problem is that gaining 50 hp with a S/C on a manual will only net you about 35 hp on an auto.....and at $3500.00 thats a lot of money for 35 hp.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 8 2004, 06:05 PM
in my opinion, having a supercharger on an automatic is not a disadvantage because of the shift points......its because the % of power loss is exagerated and therefore lessens the impact of putting a supercharger on. The car will shift at the same RPM as it would with a manual........so thats not the problem, the problem is that gaining 50 hp with a S/C on a manual will only net you about 35 hp on an auto.....and at $3500.00 thats a lot of money for 35 hp.
i agree. And also, a supercharger will not really give you much more torque, which is where autos fall off if you ask me. Especially right out of the hole. That is alot of money to spend for a 35hp gain, but if you have the money, the extra power may be worth it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by FrostbytetC+Aug 8 2004, 06:56 PM-->QUOTE (FrostbytetC @ Aug 8 2004, 06:56 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
@Aug 8 2004, 06:05 PM
i agree. And also, a supercharger will not really give you much more torque, which is where autos fall off if you ask me. Especially right out of the hole. That is alot of money to spend for a 35hp gain, but if you have the money, the extra power may be worth it. [/b]
yea, sometimes valve-body shift kits can help increase the pressure of the ATF which makes the tranny more responsive and helps transmit the tourqe better. However, these kits tend to kill pumps and all of the other components of the transmission that help push the fluid along. It will be interesting to see how much HP the Vortech unit really puts out, i have a feeling that it will generate to much tourqe for the skinny front tires to handle..............hopefully:)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Shift kits work really well... if you can get them to work. My buddy and I went through 2 of them in his Automatic Eclipse GSX. When we finally got it finished his tranny blew about a month later. Automatic transmissions work on computer controlled fluid transfer and pressure. Another option is installing a stall switch (may have the wrong lingo there). This will not work with a shift kit, but basically what it does, is it stops your car from pulling timing on shifts, creating a quicker shift and more power on auto downshifts and things like that. Its a fairly quick and easy mod... well at least for an eclipse. I'll look into this further and see if its possible on a tC

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I'd love to get a turbo kit or supercharger in my auto tC, but I have little to no knowledge of how engine mods work or how to install them...

·
Registered
19 Posts
this topic worries me. I just paid for my auto tC and now worried that I will be stuck at the stock 160 hp. SOMEONE ease our minds and tell us some engine mods that can be performed on an automatic tranny tC.(or any automatic car)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by HU's Finest@Aug 12 2004, 04:16 PM
this topic worries me. I just paid for my auto tC and now worried that I will be stuck at the stock 160 hp. SOMEONE ease our minds and tell us some engine mods that can be performed on an automatic tranny tC.(or any automatic car)
160HP isn't too bad is it?? I just wanted more power for the fun factor...
Not like I really need it... not like any one of us needs it...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Being in an area with a lot of traffic, I don't think I'd get the chance to put a supercharger to use, or even get a chance to enjoy it; and even if I enjoyed it a little it wouldn't be worth the money. And I have an automatic. It's too bad because I would have really liked the extra power, but it would be unnecessary for me - I won't be doing any racing or anything, especially in an automatic. The tC will still be fun to drive irregardless so no worries for the people like me who will not be getting a 'charger.

Carry on...

·
Registered
19 Posts
The S/C on an automagic will give you all the power your looking for however it will def. shorten the life of your transmission. You will not be as fast as manuals due to the power loss of the auto tranny Some cars can lose up to 25-30% due to the tranny differences. I would still get it if I had an auto.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I had an SC in automatic - was fun as hell, but made me sell the car and buy a 5-speed
It was scary when a NA 5-speed car is keeping up with you and you have a SC... I had to tell the guy that I let off the gas by then, but I still know what really happened...

My auto Matrix with SC was putting down 165whp/145wtq - a little stronger than 5-speed tC, but tC is still faster because of gear ratios. And auto Matrix needs a SC to keep up with traffic in atlanta while auto tC has enough power.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts