Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 10" rockford's in a single box from my old car and a 400 watt amp. I was wondering if it is going to make the hatch rattle. If it does, I am not going to put them in. Anyone had this problem?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just turn it up and you won't notice.

late

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Alpman@Feb 13 2005, 02:02 PM
Yep, it'll rattle. But it's nothing a little Dynamat can't fix.
Hey, how about a Dynamat How-To article for the tC? My wife keeps bugging about the car being noisier than her Camry, and I figure anything I can do to reduce road noise will reduce my headaches.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
OK, everybody likes a piece of ass, but nobody likes a smartass.

Now that we have had fun and games, how about pics of your Dynamat install, and some basic info like:

1. How much did you buy?
2. How much did you actually need?
3. How much weight did it add to the car?
4. How much quieter is the car?

Any tips, tricks, or hints for those of us who have never done anything more complex than shelf paper and are basically going to botch a few pieces before we get it right?

·
Registered
730 Posts
How boring life would be if we all lacked a sense of humor...and by-the-way, I like smartasses, there fun to be around!

Maybe you could buy some ear muffs for your wife so she can't hear the noise while your driving...or better yet, you wear them so you can't hear her nag about it!!!

Seriously, though. This stuff really isn't rocket science. Even small amounts of Dynamat applied to the doors, sides, hatch and spare tire well will make huge improvements in reducing road noise. You do not have to wrap the entire vehicle in the stuff.

You could buy two door kits and a trunk kit and have plenty to do the sides and hatch as well. Use the Xtreme stuff. It's easier to work with, don't need a heat gun or roller to apply it and it sticks to verticle surfaces much better. Just be sure the surface is clean and dry and lay the Dynamat sheets on the asphault on a sunny day to make it more flexible.

There are pics of my doors here:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...1143&hl=dynamat

And some of my sides and tire well (sub box installed) here:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2764

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a single 10 and it rattles, so I know either of yours will rattle. The worst rattles are outside from the rear bumper cover just below the licence plate. It rattles against an aluminum frame. Also, the tail lights rattle. The bumper cover must be removed to fix them both. I have yet to fix these rattles in my car.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the link and tips. I wouldn't have thought about covering the inside door panels.

The wife's problem is she like to listen to music at a whisper. Only she knows why, but whenever I turn it up to a "reasonable" volume, she complains it's too loud. So, now that she has her own tC, I'm hearing her complaining about too much road noise. I'd rather use Dynamat than buy 15" wheels with 60 series tires to kill the road noise. The car would look and drive like crap, so Dynamat should solve my problems very nicely.

Thanks from the #1 h8tr curmudgeon!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd like to know how many square feet would be required to do an average deadening. Im doing the trunk floor, trunk walls, hatch, and doors. Im thinking 50-60 square feet but i might be way off. What do you guys think?

·
Resident Swagologist
4,929 Posts
necro-post = fail

necro-post with a purpose... good job searching :-D

I'm actually looking to do this myself. surprisingly, my car didn't rattle very much when I had the 12" MTX9500 in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I used some stuff called second skin, you can check them out here: Second Skin

I had 3 door packs, and I have used about 2 covering the trunk and both doors. 3 would be great if you also wanted to add the hatch and maybe some of the rear panels. Check it out man, the stuff is cheaper and better than Dynamat (where you're paying alot for the name.

·
Registered
34 Posts
QUOTE (Mr. Deep @ Nov 2 2009, 02:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=503315
necro-post = fail

necro-post with a purpose... good job searching :-D

I'm actually looking to do this myself. surprisingly, my car didn't rattle very much when I had the 12" MTX9500 in the trunk.[/b]
Do you have any deadening material or just straight up? I have a phoenix gold 12 running on Phoenix gold RSD 1200.1 (1298 RMS). My car rattles pretty bad...even turned up it just makes the rattle louder. I figured deadening would at least help but didnt know how much to use. I thought I read somewhere it was 60 square feet but I might be wrong. Whatcha think?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.