Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my friends had his tc for almost a year and he hasn't done anything to it. i asked him why doesnt he at least put subs in and he said he's afraid of the glasstop shattering from the force of the subs. i told him its tempered glass but he still is apprehensive about it. anyone have any problems with subs in their tc?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I believe a strong enough hook up could possibly do this, especially if its close to the glass or pointed towards the glass..

but the real question is why? if you have subs that are that loud to shatter the glass, there probably so loud they overpower your speakers and all you hear is sub and no music..

its a hatch so the sub will sound louder... try just using one 10 inch or better yet not setting it towards the glass..

if it doesnt shatter it, over time itll probably do something to harm it..

just my opinion and me trying to help..

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Um, bass is non-directional, and all cars have glass surfaces. The fact that the tC's roof is made of glass does not make the tC appreciably more susceptible to glass breakage from a sub.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I dont know if any of you have heard what it sounds like, but my friend has a tc with 2, 15's.. running over 1000watts, it SOUNDS like the glass is going to break... Now to me, even the sound of the glass going to break isnt good sound.. who wants that sound to be there anyway? to me thats too much bass, because not only do you have a shiat load of bass overpowering the music but now you also have alot of rattling because of the glass....

period...

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
if the subs are rear firing then you should be ok, hatch boxes and top firing sub boxes I would stay away from...besides rear firing boxes sound better anyway

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
You aren't going to break it. In order to break that glass you are going to have to pressurize your car, the only way to do that would be to seal up all of the vents; you will be fine, unless you are doing serious competition level stuff.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Nov 20 2005, 04:30 PM
You aren't going to break it. In order to break that glass you are going to have to pressurize your car, the only way to do that would be to seal up all of the vents; you will be fine, unless you are doing serious competition level stuff.
Agreed like i said, 160+db and it can be done, highly unlikely for a 165, but on the rare occasion mabey, but i highly doubt your buddy with 1kw and 2 15's is even 1/2 way close to there......

Biggest problem i would see would be his car turning to a rattling piece of junk......Does he have any dampener in his car....Because i doubt its the window making the noise, but the areas around the windows, or panels and such.

I can easily get my tC interior to rattle if i wanted.....i need to deaden all of the actual plastic panels as well as doing more mass loading onthe metal and such in a few key areas.

Tell him to order a few rolls of Raammat and he should be golden, or don't turn it up as loud if he dosent want to hear the rattles. Simple as that.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
If you only want a decent bump, just get a single 10" Woofer.. it's not gonna put out that much. I have 2 10's and I don't get a single rattle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well i mean i have a single 15, but at the volumes i play it i get no rattles....I have a SQ setup, my midbasses rattle my car more than my sub does...if that tells you anything. A sub is simply supposed to support the music, not be the music......Even on bass heavy songs my 15 sounds very good. Its sealed, and it gets much lower and deeper in texture than my 2 12" RF's ever did ported.

But if i wanted to easily, i could be much louder simply by boosting my sub level on my HU, as i have it at a good -5db level matched. With a few db's down at 63hz to blend well.

If i wasn't so much into larger woofers and having a cone advantage then i would be happy with a single 10 like you mentioned krdshrk, but i like having that ability to bump extreemly hard when i want too, and the extra little cone area helps alot. But the thing about my car is that it isint precieved as that loud, because its really flat and musical, but the low end is enourmous, i'm talking around the sub 30hz region.....But the car remains very musical, accurate and detailed, without being annoying or fatiguing to listen too. Overall very well done IMO.

Again, 10's for space issues, larger subs for single sub solutions that can do very well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
We entered a three audio comps last spring, early summer in far North CA with our sound quality system that happens to have a great 15" sead box sub and 1,000 watt ($900) quality amp. It was a new kind of competition with sound quality on music and install judging, but the cool part was the bass comp. It was two minutes of bass average SPL, if you know how bass cars are built, it is for a single ton burst for a few seconds duration. Playing music bass for two minutes is pure hell on a system and many of the entrants blew subs, amps or both.

We finished 4th the first time with a 138.4 db average on music for the two minute period and the loudest car only averaged 2db more, all the big bass monsters blew up, lol!

Now I know these days that 138.4 db does not seem a big number but I can garantee that few of you have ever actually heard that level, seriously;) And on music that was not just a bunch of racket, real music, that is just plain dang loud!!!!!

The tC is a great bass car when built right, if we wanted to make it an all out bass comp car it would be far louder but that is not our mission with this car, 138.4 db of musical bass without distortion is insanely loud by any stretch of the imagination and more than loud enough for us.

At the last of the three comps we took home 4 out of the 5 different first place trophies:)

Rick

·
Registered
136 Posts
I feel ya Rick, i just wish i could hear your car, see how mine would stack up
, and even get a few suggestions

But seriously its pretty easy to all out go for bass, Gets harder when your really up there trying to squeeze out those last few db's, but close to 140db is not to be shunned at, the least bit, I dunno really what i'm pulling, but i'd hope it would at least be around 135-140, and i'd be really happy, thats with a good 500rms.

But neway, tC is a really good car for music all around....and can be made quite loud if done properly if thast what you want.....No complaints from me in the bass department yet.....though i did wish i had more sub 30hz stuff....but my car already has a really nice low end i think....(non professional opinion that is
)

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
That's cuz the bazooka 10 is a low powered sub.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have a fairly low amoun of power, but a nice amount of cone area, does me perfect for SQ duties, and occasionally when i'd like to bump it up a few notches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.